Bad Weather

The Masked Tulip

HOLA441
  • Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443

I would just add to that one more thing - the environmental agencies now appear hell-bent on a mission to keep large parts of the rural UK as some kind of Edwardian theme park. Large areas of the UK have been turned into national parks with an onus on keeping them au natural - but it is not natural. It is just how they have been since the agricultural/industrial revolution.

Conveniently, they are wonderful places to live for the priviledged few who get planning permission to build in them.

So you'd prefer to fvck them up with godawful modern development? I'm not particularly keen on the "preserve as in freeze" ideal but all the alternatives I've ever seen just turn my stomach.

"Natural" or not is beside the point - don't go down the path that basically says "either natural or anything man-made", with the assumption that anything man-made is equal. The least effed up bits of England are quite honestly the only bits still worth having.

HOLA444

So you'd prefer to fvck them up with godawful modern development? I'm not particularly keen on the "preserve as in freeze" ideal but all the alternatives I've ever seen just turn my stomach.

"Natural" or not is beside the point - don't go down the path that basically says "either natural or anything man-made", with the assumption that anything man-made is equal. The least effed up bits of England are quite honestly the only bits still worth having.

No.

HOLA445
HOLA446

Super north v south bitch festival going on in the comments of this article

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/dec/28/yorkshire-flooding-north-south-divide-york-leeds-london-south-east

Fair few southerners pointing out that they got precious little sympathy from their northern counterparts in the newspaper comments section when hundreds of homes in Somerset, Berkshire, Surrey, Kent and Sussex went underwater in the winter of 2013-14 (for some reason people north of Watford find it difficult to believe so many were effected by the flooding over that period).

I don't really understand some of the moaning about the Thames Barrier since that was opened in 1982 and is designed to stop tidal flooding not conventional river basin flooding. The Thames Barrier makes no difference to the river flooding above Teddington or on the Thames tributaries. I am not quite sure what seeing bodies floating in the Thames at Wapping would do to prevent York flooding.

Still good to know what a united people we are in the UK.

Feel free to join in and back your regional team.

HOLA447
HOLA448

They certainly have kept the flooding of North Wales and Pembs out of the news.

For a time over Christmas Bangor was cut off from the rest of the country - which is not a bad thing in itself - but it meant that people going to and coming from Ireland via Holyhead were basically cut off.

Llanrwst tea rooms:

Llanrwst train station - there be tracks under that water.

Frankly, Llanrwst seems to flood every time it rains (which given the locale is a lot). I understand there were some isolated groups on Anglesey considering declaring independence as a result of being cut off.

While the floods around in North Wales have been greater than normal the huge amount of natural drainage in the area means that most of them had gone within a day of it stopping raining.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Found this on the Grauniad article comments, might explain why Leeds was barely reported on despite 2000 homes and 400 businesses being flooded, worries about the economic impact.

See this link from four years ago when they announced the cuts to flood defences.

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2011/feb/09/flood-defence-schemes-funding-cut

In case clicking on the link is too much strain....

The biggest project to lose funding is the £160m scheme for defences along 12 miles of the river Aire and stretching right into the heart of Leeds.

"It is the economics of a madhouse," said Keith Wakefield, Labour leader of Leeds City Council. "There is a great risk to the economy and prosperity of Leeds, which drives the regional economy. Business will not invest if they perceive a flood risk. If we need our economy to recover then you need to invest in the [flooding] risks you know are there this is not speculation. It should be a no-brainer." The existing defences have come within inches of flooding at least twice in the past 10 years, he said.

So four years down the line, exactly as predicted the lack of effective flood defences means Leeds City Centre flooded and the damage to buildings and vehicles will run into the millions.

HOLA4414

This reminds me of the cover ups from the dam floods in Queensland, where the government fought tooth and nail to cover up that much of the flooding and damage was the result of their own stupid actions.

HOLA4415

Foggy Furze ? Is that a real place !?

Indeed it is. For many years the base of the town's library facilities.

And here's you thinking it's a burds medical condition involving severe condensation in and around the immediate vicinity of their minge...!

;)

XYY

HOLA4416

Well if your intrigue levels can stand going a little bit higher - why not check-out the story of the town winning a tank during the Great War..?

http://www.thisishartlepool.co.uk/history/egbert-west-hartlepools-tank.asp

;)

XYY

HOLA4417

Well if your intrigue levels can stand going a little bit higher - why not check-out the story of the town winning a tank during the Great War..?

http://www.thisishartlepool.co.uk/history/egbert-west-hartlepools-tank.asp

;)

XYY

Um, bought a tank. How the heck did they find over 2 million quid in a town the size of Hartlepool in those days?

HOLA4418

First autumn in recent years that the Trent hasn't burst its banks. The rain has been steady here and regular but nothing heavy and sustained over several hours like a typical autumn.

A few local records broken in the north West and Yorkshire and we have climate change apparently. Only the temperatures are remarkable, the rain fall not so much.

The time of flooding in the north midlands was 1947 and 1965 when places like Matlock, Derby and Nottinghamshire were under water.

Those dates were during the mini ice age, so you can always twist the facts.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

"Incredible Disruption" after damage to Dover Sea Wall worse than thought.

Immediate talk of compensation for rail season tickets show's how everything is stretched to the max.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-35193745

"Incredible disruption" is on the cards for rail passengers as a result of damage to a sea wall that shut a major coastal route, according to an MP.

Southeastern services were stopped between Folkestone and Dover Priory on 24 December after huge cracks appeared.

Repair work will take a "significant amount of time", Southeastern warned.

MP for Dover and Deal Charlie Elphicke said: "I've contacted the rail minster to express my grave concerns that we shouldn't just have a collapse."

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Just been for a walk, trying to make some use of the one sunny day forecast (gone cloudy now though). I was in the upper Goyt valley, which eventually ends up in Manchester. Manchester was flooded yet one of the reservoirs there still isn't even full. I'm not suggesting that it could've retained some water to prevent flooding, I think it just shows how localised some of this was.

HOLA4423

Found this on the Grauniad article comments, might explain why Leeds was barely reported on despite 2000 homes and 400 businesses being flooded, worries about the economic impact.

See this link from four years ago when they announced the cuts to flood defences.

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2011/feb/09/flood-defence-schemes-funding-cut

In case clicking on the link is too much strain....

The biggest project to lose funding is the £160m scheme for defences along 12 miles of the river Aire and stretching right into the heart of Leeds.

"It is the economics of a madhouse," said Keith Wakefield, Labour leader of Leeds City Council. "There is a great risk to the economy and prosperity of Leeds, which drives the regional economy. Business will not invest if they perceive a flood risk. If we need our economy to recover then you need to invest in the [flooding] risks you know are there this is not speculation. It should be a no-brainer." The existing defences have come within inches of flooding at least twice in the past 10 years, he said.

So four years down the line, exactly as predicted the lack of effective flood defences means Leeds City Centre flooded and the damage to buildings and vehicles will run into the millions.

£160m project and therefore IRO £300m in reality. So about £125k for each home / business damaged. And I guess no guarantee how long the defences will last. Is that a good return on investment?

I do also wonder about the number of houses damaged. I keep seeing the same ones on the news that are fairly well submerged but are these the worst cases and are the majority of affected properties just damp floorboards?

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Archived