House Price Crash Forum

Christmas Conversations... Htb... Btl...

HOLA441

Well it's that time of year when we're forced to tollerate people we'd rather avoid. Perhaps a red faced uncle parked on your sofa waving an empty glass in the air by way of a hint, whilst mentioning HTB again. Or a vulture-like mother-in-law stood watching you wash up and asking why you haven't bought anywhere yet.

Anyone like to share?

My mother-in-law was round last week complaining that the new kitchen she'd like will probably cost £20k and that's such a hardship... I guess that's the price you pay for having 5 bedrooms all to yourself .... grrrrrrr. (The fact she is simultaneously bragging, and hoping her rich son will get the hint and foot the bill is neither here nor there!).

HOLA442

Well it's that time of year when we're forced to tollerate people we'd rather avoid. Perhaps a red faced uncle parked on your sofa waving an empty glass in the air by way of a hint, whilst mentioning HTB again. Or a vulture-like mother-in-law stood watching you wash up and asking why you haven't bought anywhere yet.

Anyone like to share?

My mother-in-law was round last week complaining that the new kitchen she'd like will probably cost £20k and that's such a hardship... I guess that's the price you pay for having 5 bedrooms all to yourself .... grrrrrrr. (The fact she is simultaneously bragging, and hoping her rich son will get the hint and foot the bill is neither here nor there!).

Was at a family gathering a couple months ago and wife of London type, who neither works nor has any real world experience, said to me and i quote

"You can't loose on houses, they only ever go up".

They're in hock up to their eye balls and were lucky not to loose it all in 2008.

Next time I dont think they will be so lucky.

Investments can go down.

I've already stopped seeing several people now as I can't stand the drone and I'm adding another one to the list after the weekend.

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

HOLA443

Was at a family gathering a couple months ago and wife of London type, who neither works nor has any real world experience, said to me and i quote

They're in hock up to their eye balls and were lucky not to loose it all in 2008.

Next time I dont think they will be so lucky.

Investments can go down.

I've already stopped seeing several people now as I can't stand the drone and I'm adding another one to the list after the weekend.

"They always go up" is like some kind of religious mantra in the church of HPI... I'm suprised there isn't a cult started where people light huge bonfires and March around it waving sold signs chanting it repeatedly into the night hours

HOLA444

"They always go up" is like some kind of religious mantra in the church of HPI... I'm suprised there isn't a cult started where people light huge bonfires and March around it waving sold signs chanting it repeatedly into the night hours

It seems the heavily indebted, massive mortgage, "living the dream" types are the first to push this message.

No one disagrees.

I used to argue the case but now I just dont see these people, it's sad but true, HPC has removed many vacuous people from my life

It's tragic that we now dread contact with over-rewarded untaxed low interest rate QE backed parasites.

HOLA445

It seems the heavily indebted, massive mortgage, "living the dream" types are the first to push this message.

No one disagrees.

I used to argue the case but now I just dont see these people, it's sad but true, HPC has removed many vacuous people from my life

It's tragic that we now dread contact with over-rewarded untaxed low interest rate QE backed parasites.

So it has its upsides then!

HOLA446
HOLA447

No one disagrees.

:lol::lol::lol: That does ring a bell.

HOLA448

Discussions about'nice little earners' from accidental BTL landlords, who are teachers funnily enough, various recent BOMAD mortgage recipients. And that sort of pitying looking down their noses at you and almost tut tutting. Yep. Another Christmas.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

I have a HPI free Christmas lined up. It's only me, the cat, and Mrs FD, and for the first time in 10 years, no mother-in-law.

So for once I won't have to go through the usual condescending cr4p which normally goes something like this:

Mother-in-Law: I don't know why you two don't just buy a house. They're only going to keep getting more expensive you know.

Me: Then they represent terrible value for money, and our capital could be better used eslewhere.

Mother-in-Law: http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn180/terrell211/Tumblr%20Gifs/Homer-BlankStare-1.gif

HOLA4411

My SIL and BIL are both bankers (retail, not investment) but I am banned from any kind of bank / finance related conversations.

I think I will stay in the kitchen and chat with the dog.

I worked in back office retail finance once, IT.

Outside strategy departments, retail bank employees are just salesmen.

HOLA4412

I worked in back office retail finance once, IT.

Outside strategy departments, retail bank employees are just salesmen.

Yeah, I know a couple like that....well, I used to know a couple but both just been told their job is no more.

It's a job an EA could do, if only they had a degree in English Lit and went to a decent school or is called Perrigrin.

HOLA4413

If someone does say to me

"Have you not bought a house yet".

I am going to reply.

"There is no point until the london bubble collapses and the idiots moving out of london with pockets full of untaxed unearned income stop paying way over the odds for basic housing".

I have said it a few times lately and people look at me and have no reply.

They know it's coming.

HOLA4414

HPC has removed many vacuous people from my life

I'm the black sheep of the family. They don't always say it to my face but they all think I am a fool renting, paying too much, saving a little every month.

It is funny how HPI seems to find its way into every area of daily life. I just can't deal with these comments any more.

But, I can't see it changing until there is a something like a 90% fall and no recovery in prices for the next 25 years! Anything less and people will just see it as a buying opportunity, sprouting the some old cr*p!

I have a HPI free Christmas lined up. It's only me, the cat, and Mrs FD, and for the first time in 10 years, no mother-in-law.

So for once I won't have to go through the usual condescending cr4p which normally goes something like this:

Mother-in-Law: I don't know why you two don't just buy a house. They're only going to keep getting more expensive you know.

Me: Then they represent terrible value for money, and our capital could be better used eslewhere.

Mother-in-Law: http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn180/terrell211/Tumblr%20Gifs/Homer-BlankStare-1.gif

Same for me and Mrs RTID, I think it is going to be the best Christmas ever!

Edited by renting til I die

HOLA4415

Yeah, I know a couple like that....well, I used to know a couple but both just been told their job is no more.

It's a job an EA could do, if only they had a degree in English Lit and went to a decent school or is called Perrigrin.

I've a cousin like that. Not public school, but got a fair bit of BOMAD. Every time she wants to move up the ladder, gets 10s of k of BOMAD, new conservatory etc. No problem. Her kids are brats sadly.

HOLA4416

I've a cousin like that. Not public school, but got a fair bit of BOMAD. Every time she wants to move up the ladder, gets 10s of k of BOMAD, new conservatory etc. No problem. Her kids are brats sadly.

Yeah, the city boy with his expensive wife is like that. He's spending the inheritance before he's got it.

This generations parents can live another 20/30/40 years so to be honest, that a f**king stupid idea.

HOLA4417

Yeah, the city boy with his expensive wife is like that. He's spending the inheritance before he's got it.

This generations parents can live another 20/30/40 years so to be honest, that a f**king stupid idea.

It's an investment innit.

20k BOMAD on a conservatory to increase storage space when a secure shed is less than a grand.

HOLA4418

I've had two recently with various family members:

First was with an in-law. It got quite heated and he seemed to think it was unfair on BTLers because 'they are just providing a service'. I was also told "they've got to live somewhere" and his argument kind of faltered when I pointed the houses won't just disappear if they are not let out.

The argument that BTLers were pushing house prices up due to IO on rental coverage was just met with aggression, and no cogent argument put forth...

The other was a close member of family who wants to buy a new house, but refuses to sell his current one for less than he paid for it so intends to let it out. Despite being incredibly busy, he thinks he'll have time to be a landlord too. Wouldn't accept that Government is moving against BTL despite the press being full of it, just said they are the current scapegoat. I pointed out that this doesn't mean it's undeserved!

I just wanted to make him consider it before he made a big mistake - I may have persuaded him to wait until April as he might get 3% off... The one saving grace here is that he may not get permission to let.

The worse part of it all is that they all think I'm some kind of conspiracy-theorist simpleton because my views conflict with the generally accepted viewpoint. That's difficult, and frustrating.

I fully accept that our house (my wife bought before we met) may plunge in price but it cost 2x joint income and we have enough leeway in our income and savings that we can start paying down the mortgage fast should rates look like jumping much. At least my wife is coming round to the HPC viewpoint; realising that these prices are unsustainable.

HOLA4419

Was at a friends wedding last month. He has a flat in N London. Now worth about 450K. New wife has a house maybe 300-350K where she lives in London. They want to buy a house to live together but to do it they have to have the hardship of moving out to Hertfordshire as with both pads sold they still wouldn't be able to afford a place.

Anyhow was talking to his wife about it all, and guess what... she said, "You can't loose with housing".

I was going to counter that statement and reminf her of 1989-1994 and 2007-2009 plus various house price crashes abroad, but I really could not be bothered,

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

I won't be talking house prices to wider family this year - (inner family is hpc) - and with changes announced in Budget and Autumn Statement, feeling much more relaxed for the future anyway.

At wider Christmas Gatherings I'm now fed up with the nickname D&G.

(Doom And Gloom.)

Begun by older couple who have traded up to a house with lots of empty bedrooms, when they should have downsized imo.

HOLA4423

I won't be talking house prices to wider family this year - (inner family is hpc) - and with changes announced in Budget and Autumn Statement, feeling much more relaxed for the future anyway.

At wider Christmas Gatherings I'm now fed up with the nickname D&G.

(Doom And Gloom.)

Begun by older couple who have traded up to a house with lots of empty bedrooms, when they should have downsized imo.

We all have such loving families! :blink:

HOLA4424

About to tolerate a family party where cousin in law's accidental BTL is to be repeatedly called a nicer little earner, completely irrespective of the opportunity cost if the significant boomer capital hosed in his direction over the past ten years. Joy.

HOLA4425