House Price Crash Forum

Schengen Agreement

Guest_lauralondon_*

HOLA441

Its never existed most of the time as far as I'm concerned.

I always need my passports when flying to eu countries and always needed it to get back into the UK. I've had my bag searched when returning to the UK from Europe (always when I was back backing and retuned solo looking scruffy - never when in work gear, fantastic profiling by UK border!). When taking trains that cross borders in Europe I've nearly always needed a passport. Going from Spain to France on a sleeper they even took my passport off me in the night and returned it the next morning. Only time I haven't needed it was between Denmark and Sweden.

I've yet to see much evidence of this agreement existing. Maybe it does in Luxembourg for people driving.

Can't see how the withdrawal of it would make anything different for the majority of people.

HOLA442
HOLA443

Won't make a scrap of difference. I even carry my passport for trips to Scotland. Technically don't need it but it's the best ID card there is. Mind you, once I've got to France, you can just drive anywhere.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

Its never existed most of the time as far as I'm concerned.

I always need my passports when flying to eu countries and always needed it to get back into the UK. I've had my bag searched when returning to the UK from Europe (always when I was back backing and retuned solo looking scruffy - never when in work gear, fantastic profiling by UK border!). When taking trains that cross borders in Europe I've nearly always needed a passport. Going from Spain to France on a sleeper they even took my passport off me in the night and returned it the next morning. Only time I haven't needed it was between Denmark and Sweden.

I've yet to see much evidence of this agreement existing. Maybe it does in Luxembourg for people driving.

Can't see how the withdrawal of it would make anything different for the majority of people.

Try driving around. I don't drive so much these days, but back in the day I used to drive through multiple countries and my passport was never checked.

The reason they take passports on trains is largely because it is easy and convenient. For sleepers my belief was that it was because they don't want to have to wake you up if there's an issue.

Locals probably just hand over their ID cars at border checks. UK people don't have ID cards, the passport acts as one instead.

In most EU countries you are obliged to carry an ID card at all times. My guess is that you are obliged to show it to an authority that requests it. Schengen doesn't suspend ID card checks or identity checks as far as I am aware, just because you have your ID checked at a border doesn't mean that you aren't entitled to cross that border as and when you wish.

I think there is a lot more to Schengen than this.

Edit : After reading the wikipedia the whole thing does sound like a massive fudge as regards ID checks.

HOLA447
HOLA448

A lot of European borders between Schengen countries don't have anything more than a sign saying which country you're entering (at least that was the case with the only one I've been across, France / Italy). No checks whatsoever, don't even need to stop.

There is a border you can ski across between France and Italy. I've been to Italy without a passport.

HOLA449

Scrap Trident.

Let the yanks nuke our enemies should it be required.

They'd be happy to oblige im sure.

Spend the cash on booths and goons at the borders and go back to proper 60's style, James Bondesque, border checks.

Papers!!

This is about money and twisted ******ed up EU ideology.

The EU leaders have blood on ther hands already, and there will be much more.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

There is a border you can ski across between France and Italy. I've been to Italy without a passport.

I'm guessing that the border controls were a bit of a way down the valley (I think I've skied the same one - Montgenevre?). That's what I was told happens up in the mountains when I went walking in the summer and some of the walks went up to the ridge that formed the border. Just a small bit of stone set in the ground there with I on one side and F on the other where the path crossed.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

I'm guessing that the border controls were a bit of a way down the valley (I think I've skied the same one - Montgenevre?). That's what I was told happens up in the mountains when I went walking in the summer and some of the walks went up to the ridge that formed the border. Just a small bit of stone set in the ground there with I on one side and F on the other where the path crossed.

Can't remember tbh, it was a long time ago. There are quite a few places in Europe where you can do it though.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

UK not in schengen.

But if you are a tourist or cross boarder worker you are still meant to bring some forum of ID to use while staying in the country, this will most likely be a passport.

I really don't see what inconvenience scrapping schengen will bring (assuming you have a genuine passport, and are legally allowed to enter the country you are trying to get into).

A few countries have temporarily suspended it now. Many temporary measures become permanent via the back door, that's what I predict will happen to schengen.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

My passport has a letter in the front from the Queen telling Johnny Foreigner to let me come and go.

If they don't, I think I can phone Buckingham Palace and get Brenda to sort them out.

There's also something ordering them to offer me protection where necessary, which I presume means free condoms.

Archived