House Price Crash Forum

Doom - Solar Flares To Destroy Modern Life!

HOLA441
White House is preparing for catastrophic solar flares which could wipe out power around the world for months - bringing an end to modern civilisation as we know it

2E12B24E00000578-0-image-a-4_14465723305

The last powerful geomagnetic solar storm which hit the earth was in 1859 which caused telegraph lines to explode, and power to fail across Europe and North America

No HPC for months if this happens. The Wail on full doom mode with this headline.

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

AIUI transformers are a bit better protected these days than they used to be. Modern power grids take some solar activity into account, and it may be possible to shut them down in advance if there is a big flare. Anyway destroying modern life sounds good to me.

HOLA448

Hundreds of nuclear power stations going into melt down all at the same time, no food deliveries, etc.

Most people worry more about not being able to update their facebook page though. Maybe they'd write "radiation bad today, still not eaten for 4 days now."

HOLA449
HOLA4410

Sorry - I've lost track... Does this come before the asteroid and mega tsunami or after it? I hope it doesn't coincide with the worst winter in 50 years, as that would be inconvenient. Or maybe we'll be having the power-cuts anyway, so we could get both over with at the same time?

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Sorry - I've lost track... Does this come before the asteroid and mega tsunami or after it? I hope it doesn't coincide with the worst winter in 50 years, as that would be inconvenient. Or maybe we'll be having the power-cuts anyway, so we could get both over with at the same time?

There is a guy called Randall Carlson who promotes the idea that there was a moderately sophisticated human civilisation about 11000 years ago that got wiped out by a meteor strike. The meteor caused the mega-fauna die off and ended the ice age rather abruptly, which in turn submerged the major civilisation centres. He thinks the Pyramids and certain other historical oddities are relics that even though repurposed by later cultures have qualities that simply don't fit to any better explanation. Pretty low on woo factor, and very keen on finding actual supporting physical evidence.

Very interesting stuff if you have a few hours.

HOLA4414

Sounds interesting - but a meteor strike would more likely extend an ice age rather than end it. From my understanding anyway.

It wasnt an extensive ice age 11,000 years ago - Younger Drias - so civilisations could have existed around places they cold not have 8,000 years earlier at the height of the previous major ice age.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

and it's going to be the worst winter ever.

Yeah yeah yeah. They'll be looking to make it into a blockbuster movie and probably trying to sell some special anti - solar flare tin foil. The only thing that's missing is a special name for it going back to around the days of the Mayans.

Fork out yet again taxpayer mugs - dig deep.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

Archived