House Price Crash Forum

Things That Are Not The Same

Frank Hovis

HOLA441

I feel I must make a mention of Heraclitus on this thread, perhaps one of the first recorded pre-Socratics. The "weeping philosopher" who posited that "you cannot step into the same river twice". It is perhaps one of the most insightful points ever to have been made about 'change' and the world.

Thanks for the heads up on Heraclitus. Bemoaning change is one of my chief faults. I could do with embracing his philosophical position that change is the nature of the universe.

Puts me in mind of anarchist Hakim Bey's 'temporary autonomous zones' as being the best we can hope for.

http://hermetic.com/bey/taz3.html#labelTAZ

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

Mobile phones are not the same.......to use the newer types means have to disable wifi, location and bluetooth to use it the most effecient way possible....I want a phone to be a phone not a tracker or website. ;)

If you want a phone go and buy a £10 phone - the battery will last for ages as well. Cheaper and easier than buying a smartphone and then turning everything off.

HOLA443
HOLA444

If you want a phone go and buy a £10 phone - the battery will last for ages as well. Cheaper and easier than buying a smartphone and then turning everything off.

I have a phone like that for many years, great little phone used it all the time PAYG......until saw several good new tariffs for calls and texts for pennies but the sim was a small sim and also it was also selling MBs or internet use that was not cheap, would not go in an old style phone.....so bought a smart phone £35 to fit the new sim and get really cheap calls and texts PAYG but only if the WiFi is off or it drains all the credit really quickly.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

Going back to the original point of this thread, corkscrew designs became very divergent just before bottles went screw top.

Screwtop is fine for me. I like what's inside.

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Also wedding rings. They used to be uniformly plain gold bands, directly symbolic of eternity (unending shape, unchanging material). Now hardly anyone has a plain gold band for a wedding ring.

I don't wear one but my wife does. How not the same is that?

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

You can get one on yer bell end! :blink:

I'm not trying that again! She said it was an "arousal aid" but I think she was trying to castrate me.....

HOLA4416

I'm not trying that again! She said it was an "arousal aid" but I think she was trying to castrate me.....

Good move. Gold is there for blokes to see. Pimp it up!

HOLA4417

Thanks for the heads up on Heraclitus. Bemoaning change is one of my chief faults. I could do with embracing his philosophical position that change is the nature of the universe.

Bemoaning change isn't a fault, not remotely. Those who embrace it are the faulty ones. Just see things as they are. Some are improvements, some are just different, and some are worse. Only an idiot welcomes the lot ("You just don't like change" is always the retort of someone who hasn't thought things through and appears incapable of judging things on their own merits, just on their age). People who don't spot that the world is getting worse thanks to "change" aren't worth listening to. They just see their new shiny distracting gadgets and sod all else.

HOLA4418

Bemoaning change isn't a fault, not remotely. Those who embrace it are the faulty ones. Just see things as they are. Some are improvements, some are just different, and some are worse. Only an idiot welcomes the lot ("You just don't like change" is always the retort of someone who hasn't thought things through and appears incapable of judging things on their own merits, just on their age). People who don't spot that the world is getting worse thanks to "change" aren't worth listening to. They just see their new shiny distracting gadgets and sod all else.

It's the whole "fear of change" mantra that's to blame. Now anybody who wants to get on has to demonstrate an overt "fear of fear of change" or be branded, well, crap, or something.

HOLA4419

It's up to those pushing for change to justify it. "Fear of change" is one of those phrases used by people who genuinely believe that the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence (let's trade sayings!) It rarely is, and is often browner, and such people will always complain about it, no matter how green.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Back on topic, possibly canal boats. OK they're all the same basic shape but the ones going past my house all at least look different from a casual glance, even if it's mostly just down to how they're painted. And some are noisier than others. Back to beer, pubs vary a lot (even if there also a lot of identical-looking chain ones around).

HOLA4423

Back on topic, possibly canal boats. OK they're all the same basic shape

Boatbuilders did try reversing the length and width dimensions for a while but it never really caught on.

HOLA4424

Personally, I've always felt change to be overrated. Always sold as a benefit, inevitably disappoints as it takes something from you. I guess it is because organisations are designed to try and offer less for more all the time. This process is often deliberately mixed up with the language of genuine advances.

There are huge, huge numbers of people who confuse "new" with "better". How much of that you have to put up with if you want genuine advances that really do improve lives I don't know. What I do quite strongly believe (and have mentioned it before) is that most don't recognise the game of diminishing returns with technological progress. When you're a caveman, or medieval peasant, or Victorian mill worker, technological advances can go quite a long way to making real, meaningful improvements in your life. So "change is good" seems a reasonable (albeit rather too wide) claim. That doesn't mean that is always the case, particularly once you've reached the point where basic survival isn't a particularly pressing issue. That's the point at which goals should change.

Anyway, now I've got to think of something on-topic to go with my usual grumble I manage to insert in every thread. I think tools have already been mentioned. Erm, trees? Individual of the same species usually look quite different (I'm really running out of ideas aren't I?)

HOLA4425

Archived