House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Hovis

Things That Are Not The Same

Following a train of thought from another thread.

To me all smartphones are basically the same. Sure there are shades of difference but nothing major.

Also, despite my higher level of interest, cars are pretty much the same across makers. The major distinguishing factor being the colour.

It didn't used to be so with either, but each of them are now so close to Plato's idea of an essence of table that the similarities vastly outweigh the difference.

So what's left where there is genuine difference and choice is down to something more fundamental than brand.

If anybody's not clear with what I mean then to take phones: in the early 2000s improving tech meant you no longer needed a brick phone. So you had basic mars bar shaped phones, sleek metal clamshells, rounded dayglo phones, some got smaller and smaller. Then odd ones had games. There was massive choice and massive difference. Now the big difference between phones is the design of the eBay case you carry them in.

There are some exceptions.

One of my work colleagues drove a Sandero the other day and said it was the most hateful driving experience of his life.

You make a good point though Frank.. Almost anything you care to mention that has reached a technological plateau is the same..

TV

Blender

Toaster

Sofa

Clocks

Once advertising emphasis shifts from technical merits to "lifestyle" and fashion you know there are no longer any technical advantages to sell.

The technology hasn't improved that much, but people have increased their IT ability and have caught up by and large. Now you get grannny playing with her tablet and Skyping the grandkids. Actually it seems a bit depressing today, everybody living life through devices, I escape by watching pre- technology stuff on ITV3 like Morse or going a walk away from the Madding crowd.

So it's the people that have changed.

Guest eight

There are some exceptions.

One of my work colleagues drove a Sandero the other day and said it was the most hateful driving experience of his life.

I find that hard to believe. Probably more like his inbuilt prejudices coming to the fore, or living up to a Jeremy Clarkson stereotype. Having said that, my most hateful driving experience was a Vauxhall Corsa and that's one of Britain's most popular cars so shows what I know.

Perfume and jewellery are two things that I find staggeringly difficult to get excited about. And wine - pretty much all the wine I've ever drank tasted like - well, wine.

Dammit, you've been on HPC plenty long enough to know you don't control a thread.

But now you mention it, free speech ain't what it used to be. Once upon a time we were at total war against a genuine threat, yet we stood up for freedom. You could read the enemy's own book and it was no concern of anyone in authority. Now you can be locked up for the thought crime of reading something not quite allowed.

You make a good point though Frank.. Almost anything you care to mention that has reached a technological plateau is the same..

TV

Blender

Toaster

Sofa

Clocks

Once advertising emphasis shifts from technical merits to "lifestyle" and fashion you know there are no longer any technical advantages to sell.

This is my line of thought.

The best "difference" product that I could come up with is the fitness gadgets like Fitbit, Garmin. They're not radically different but enough that I don't see them as interchangeable.

Home grown fruit, veg, meat, fresh caught fish and wild foraged produce vs mass produced.

But the main differential in everything else is 'price', you get what you pay for. Within any price bracket things are generally as crap as they can get away with.

Although every new change appears to be trying to make every place the same (yet another reason I despise it) there's still a lot of variety in them. Hobby-wise I'm into model railways, they definitely aren't all the same. The choice and variety of beer is great, much less the same than it used to be.

Although every new change appears to be trying to make every place the same (yet another reason I despise it) there's still a lot of variety in them. Hobby-wise I'm into model railways, they definitely aren't all the same. The choice and variety of beer is great, much less the same than it used to be.

That's very interesting, start a model railway thread and let's have a pic.

Newcastle Brown Ale is not like other brown ale. :blink:

Dammit, you've been on HPC plenty long enough to know you don't control a thread.

But now you mention it, free speech ain't what it used to be. Once upon a time we were at total war against a genuine threat, yet we stood up for freedom. You could read the enemy's own book and it was no concern of anyone in authority. Now you can be locked up for the thought crime of reading something not quite allowed.

You been watching the Newsroom again?

If I can join in the theme of things that are 'necessarily' the same and therefore offer false and flawed choice include:

electricity

gas

broadband

trains

political parties

I could go on and on. To add to the things that were really always the same, more things are tending towards the same

(countries, cities, roads). Hell, there don't even seem to be different economic systems to fight about anymore.

As far as trains are concerned we have had an interesting regression back to trams. I just about remember the old trolley buses but trams were definitely before my time other than Blackpool.

What brought it home to me was when I happened to tune into a TV shopping channel and saw what amounted to be a retro slow cooker with a few utensils selling for nearly £400....it all boiled down to what colour best suited your colour coordinated kitchen....where will it all end? ;)

The number of keep fit products and gadgets never ceases to amaze me....there must be many thousands of pounds of the stuff lying in all corners of homes, used once or twice....can't give it away....when you could go for a dance or long walk or touch your toes, tis free and effective.

Newcastle Brown Ale is not like other brown ale. :blink:

Beer's a good example.

Going back only 40 years and the choice would be quite limited Mild/Bitter

30 years ago, Pilsners

20 years ago Wheat beers

10 years ago, Abbey beers, saison's, IPA's, Strong dark mild's,

Now we've got all sorts, Sours, steam, Rye, American IPAs (horrible stuff IMO), even seen recently Dogfish have made a mild stout that Nitro'd in the bottle.

Strawberries, depending upon which country you're in.

Strawberries in the UK (if eaten sometime close to their normal season) are pretty decent -- good size, pretty sweet, nice flavour. You get much better strawberries, however, in France where they have an amazing strawberry flavour. You eat one and you realize why strawberry is a popular flavour in sweets. On the other hand, it is absolutely impossible to find decent strawberries in the US. The ones in the grocery store are enormous but taste of nothing but water. They are entirely pointless except for a visual effect. Even in farmers markets, though, the very best strawberries are a pale imitation of what you would find in a Tesco in the UK, and have no relation at all to what is sold as a strawberry in France. It doesn't seem like it would be that hard to plant a French-type strawberry in the United States and sell them at $20 a pound, which some people really would be willing to pay, but it doesn't happen.

It isn't, but this isn't a nostalgia thread. I am seeking difference.

There is very little difference......in fact sometimes so called better things are more complicated, more expensive fashion items, not so robust and have a time limit built into them, not built to last or repair....it is getting to be more of a throw away world.....a huge contradiction with the in theme 'save the planet' ideology..... when half have what they need and more, and the rest have to make do and mend with what they have.

What brought it home to me was when I happened to tune into a TV shopping channel and saw what amounted to be a retro slow cooker with a few utensils selling for nearly £400....it all boiled down to what colour best suited your colour coordinated kitchen....where will it all end? ;)

The number of keep fit products and gadgets never ceases to amaze me....there must be many thousands of pounds of the stuff lying in all corners of homes, used once or twice....can't give it away....when you could go for a dance or long walk or touch your toes, tis free and effective.

Virtually everyone has an "exercise bicycle" in the loft. :blink: It's next to the VHS recorder that might just "come in handy".

Virtually everyone has an "exercise bicycle" in the loft. :blink: It's next to the VHS recorder that might just "come in handy".

True but you can still use an exercise bicycle, even a charity shop will not take VHS tapes or recorders......they are still selling slightly different versions of an exercise bike with a different wow sounding name, best thing since sliced bread...when you get hardly anything for them secondhand.

That's very interesting, start a model railway thread and let's have a pic.

I might do, in the mean time this is mine:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/90326-another-kirkby-stephen/

(think I've posted this before a while back, and it's not as if I've made much progress since, building drystone walls out of bits of Polyfilla being a very slow job)

Another one: electric cars.

You can get G whiz rubbish, hybrids, tesla super cars, basic hatchbacks.

The big differences - and generally high costs - are the signs of a technology / industry in progress. They are some way away from producing a usable (decent range) electric car at a reasonable price so if you want one now you have an array of actual, if expensive, choice.

Sometimes new things come onto the market to test so if you buy them you become the Guinea pig.....they should be paying the people to test them.