House Price Crash Forum

Things That Are Not The Same

Frank Hovis

HOLA441
  • Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

Thus is the most rose-tinted post I have ever read. Old cars were generally horrible, terrible designs. The reason for the lack of the variety in modern cars is the same as the reason for the lack of variety in aircraft and computers - the optimal design has pretty much been arrived at.

If you want genuine differentiation you generally have to look for disruptive technologies (e.g. early IE vs. Netscape Navigator), all modern browsers pretty much look like a variation of Firefox (tabbed browsing, large readable area).

I didn't say the cars of yore were better designs than those of today, merely that there was more variety. From an aesthetic point of view I think they were more interesting, (which is where you are right in that I have rose tinted spectacles) but I agree they were technologically poorer. Although one advantage of simpler cars was that there was less to go wrong and they were easier to fix - one of the reasons why the Morris Minor became so popular I believe.

I'm not sure though if cars have reached an optimal design, or ever could do. They have reached a design which is best suited to our modern motoring habits and conditions as well as modern construction methods. If those habits, conditions and methods change, car design will change accordingly to maximise profitability for their manufacturers.

HOLA443
HOLA444

I didn't say the cars of yore were better designs than those of today, merely that there was more variety. From an aesthetic point of view I think they were more interesting, (which is where you are right in that I have rose tinted spectacles) but I agree they were technologically poorer. Although one advantage of simpler cars was that there was less to go wrong and they were easier to fix - one of the reasons why the Morris Minor became so popular I believe.

I'm not sure though if cars have reached an optimal design, or ever could do. They have reached a design which is best suited to our modern motoring habits and conditions as well as modern construction methods. If those habits, conditions and methods change, car design will change accordingly to maximise profitability for their manufacturers.

Can't really disagree with that. Optimisation is one reason for convergence though. Its hard to say that cars aren't more optimal than they were 35 years ago.

On the topic of oddities my uncle had a Matra Rancho. Now that was a weird old car. I used to love having a ride in it though.

HOLA445

Can't really disagree with that. Optimisation is one reason for convergence though. Its hard to say that cars aren't more optimal than they were 35 years ago.

At moving about without breaking down, true. However I don't think it's necessarily fair to say it's "rose-tinted" if that doesn't give you the best - which I define as whatever makes the world the most satisfying place to live in. And variety and interest play a big part in that (people who only seem to care about the functionality are disturbed, dangerous, and responsible for things like Milton Keynes). I'd rather have the cars of now than of 35 years ago but it's not 100% clear-cut. And I'd certainly prefer to be driving them on the roads of 35 years ago.

HOLA446

Citroen C1, Peugot 107, Toyota Aygo.

Same cars - different names.

Same crap paint job where they don't finish the job underneath. :wacko:

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

At moving about without breaking down, true. However I don't think it's necessarily fair to say it's "rose-tinted" if that doesn't give you the best - which I define as whatever makes the world the most satisfying place to live in. And variety and interest play a big part in that (people who only seem to care about the functionality are disturbed, dangerous, and responsible for things like Milton Keynes). I'd rather have the cars of now than of 35 years ago but it's not 100% clear-cut. And I'd certainly prefer to be driving them on the roads of 35 years ago.

They've converged (optimised?) on a generally appealing styling though, in each class pretty much all cars look the same (compare a Kia sportage with a Mazda CX and a Honda CR-V). One thing I find interesting is that for the US market they've converged on shapes with much more aggressive lines.

HOLA4412

They've converged (optimised?) on a generally appealing styling though, in each class pretty much all cars look the same (compare a Kia sportage with a Mazda CX and a Honda CR-V). One thing I find interesting is that for the US market they've converged on shapes with much more aggressive lines.

Current cars I generally find too dull to be appealing in any way but not not hideous either, just bland. Precious little anything though isn't any more.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

That's the same as always then.

A colleague had an Aygo as a courtesy car. We all went out to the car park to look at it. The paint job was shoddy, and "disnae look like Toyota" quality, as a Glaswegian chap said. That's because they are built in France, or maybe Czech.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

A colleague had an Aygo as a courtesy car. We all went out to the car park to look at it. The paint job was shoddy, and "disnae look like Toyota" quality, as a Glaswegian chap said. That's because they are built in France, or maybe Czech.

Guilty of driving a Peugeot107 which is basically from the same stable as the Aygo and C1 (Citroen). Brought out in 2004, they all have Toyota engines which basically go on forever and a body work that is basically plastic on all the corrosion prone areas. Not ever seen one with corrosion even though they have been about 11 years now and it's the first car I have ever had I can call reliable after three years of driving.

They are actually an example of something unchanged in 11 years, the design and economy of the triplets was so good no changes have been made. The 108 is a slight tweak in style, not for the better imo.

HOLA4420

Guilty of driving a Peugeot107 which is basically from the same stable as the Aygo and C1 (Citroen). Brought out in 2004, they all have Toyota engines which basically go on forever and a body work that is basically plastic on all the corrosion prone areas. Not ever seen one with corrosion even though they have been about 11 years now and it's the first car I have ever had I can call reliable after three years of driving.

They are actually an example of something unchanged in 11 years, the design and economy of the triplets was so good no changes have been made. The 108 is a slight tweak in style, not for the better imo.

New shape Renault Twingo is rear engined. So that's a bit of a break from the norm.

HOLA4421

Absolutely that.

In amongst all their general silliness Top Gear attempted a review of the best 4x4 caravan tower. When put together they all looked the same and did essentially the same thing so their attempt to pick the two best was little more than tossing a coin.

It has got to: this is what a hatchback looks like, this is what a family estate looks like etc.

Pulling out a random car as an example, I can't see a technical reason why you can't built a modern car that looks exactly like this Rover P5. I'd buy it and it would probably be a success, look at the cult status of the 1990/91 import Nissan Figaro.

rover-p5-35-litre-1.jpg

HOLA4422

Absolutely that.

In amongst all their general silliness Top Gear attempted a review of the best 4x4 caravan tower. When put together they all looked the same and did essentially the same thing so their attempt to pick the two best was little more than tossing a coin.

It has got to: this is what a hatchback looks like, this is what a family estate looks like etc.

Pulling out a random car as an example, I can't see a technical reason why you can't built a modern car that looks exactly like this Rover P5. I'd buy it and it would probably be a success, look at the cult status of the 1990/91 import Nissan Figaro.

rover-p5-35-litre-1.jpg

Aerodynamics... Safety...

No reason at all. In fact there are some cars that still look like that, if your pockets are deep enough for a Bentley or Rolls Royce you're in luck!

HOLA4423

Absolutely that.

rover-p5-35-litre-1.jpg

What goes around comes around - it will happen.

Look at US sports stadiums - especially baseball. For decades they built all very 'modern' stadiums. As modern as modern could possibly be.

Then lots of fans started seeing other teams watching games in 'old fashioned' grounds - like Wrigley field. They wanted that back.

What happens ? Every new baseball stadium in the US is now being built to look like its 50-100 years old - but with modern technology beneath the surface - its a huge winner with the fans.

Some car companies have already tried this for the very top range models (Ford GT40 or that one-off Jaguar E-type release for example) but have yet to do the same for a 'normal' car.

Maye you should email them and ask.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Some car companies have already tried this for the very top range models (Ford GT40 or that one-off Jaguar E-type release for example) but have yet to do the same for a 'normal' car.

Maye you should email them and ask.

Problem with this kind of "cynical retro" is that you end up with abominations like the new Mini, and it's even more offensive derivatives. John Cooper would have a fit if he saw one of those monstrous 4x4 efforts.

Archived