House Price Crash Forum

Schizophrena And Me - Going Forwards

spacedin

HOLA441

Had a form of schizophrenia in 2000s, it's cleared up a fair bit and I'm back at work part time (with appropriate support) although am prone to occasional bouts of paychosis which is bloody annoying as you din't know when it will strike (completely unrelated to drugs by the way, I know people always think that but I've always been very careful) and wondered if anyone has much experience coding here.

I've been having a lot of memory problems lately in part because of some of the slightly noxious chemicals I take so apologies for my slightky disjointed posts. I'd like to learn a couple of programming languages to get my mind working again. I have mathematics to undergrad university level but have been struggling with double negatives in language. It's quite irritating. I just wonder how much is really related to the problems I have or the drugs.

Sorry I don't mean go sound attention seeking, I've tried to be honest with people about my situation on here from the outset, I have felt spaced out in the past but am gradually beginnjng to feel spaced in.

I probably shouldn't go on about this but been a bit wobbly all day and feel like I need to give people an explanation for it.

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

Good coders are very much in demand and can basically name their own price. The real benefit though, in your case, is that you could work from home with occasional visits to client sites. I have a good friend who is deaf - he could not hack it day to day in an office - but he works from home coding, keeps in touch via skype with clients and occasionally visits their head office for meetings. He does about 3 or 4 days a week.

Mobile app development is where it is at, and integration into coporate backends, so I would suggest you focus on one of the languages that would enable you to work in this sector. Do you have any coding experience at the moment?

More importantly, don't worry about feeling attention seeking - we all need to seek attention at various points in life. I found with my own stres/anxiety that the good people listen and understand... and the cr*p people are really not worth thinking twice about.

I can't comment on the medication that you are taking but I do have a very good friend who has worked closely in a NHS counselling role with people with schizophenia and, whilst he has told me of the importance of taking the right medication on a regular basis for those who suffer from schizophenia, he passonately believed that mindfulness meditation, yoga and tai chi helped his schizophenic patients enormously.

I practice mindfulness mediation, and the other two, and recommend them all but especially so mindfulness. I suspect it might help you to focus your mind and help you when you feel spaced out.

HOLA445
HOLA446

Had a form of schizophrenia in 2000s, it's cleared up a fair bit and I'm back at work part time (with appropriate support) although am prone to occasional bouts of paychosis which is bloody annoying as you din't know when it will strike (completely unrelated to drugs by the way, I know people always think that but I've always been very careful) and wondered if anyone has much experience coding here.

I've been having a lot of memory problems lately in part because of some of the slightly noxious chemicals I take so apologies for my slightky disjointed posts. I'd like to learn a couple of programming languages to get my mind working again. I have mathematics to undergrad university level but have been struggling with double negatives in language. It's quite irritating. I just wonder how much is really related to the problems I have or the drugs.

Sorry I don't mean go sound attention seeking, I've tried to be honest with people about my situation on here from the outset, I have felt spaced out in the past but am gradually beginnjng to feel spaced in.

I probably shouldn't go on about this but been a bit wobbly all day and feel like I need to give people an explanation for it.

You don't need to explain anything ;) but it's good to hear you're feeling better, and quite a few people, including myself, do sometimes seek advice from others on here. It isn't that this is a "support group", but it is populated by decent people with a great deal of intelligence and empathy.

Have you programmed before? Programming isn't really like "maths", I did one project that involved what, to me, seemed like PHD level maths - one of my more interesting ones, I remember all the A4 sheets all over the wall like some sort of professor's study and it certainly gave the brain a workout.

It is more about process and a logical mind; breaking what seem like complex things into smaller manageable chunks and it helps if you can rapidly flick between seeing the tiny detail and the bigger picture. Some of it is mentally stimulating and can keep the brain cells ticking over.

You don't know until you try - and you may really enjoy it.

HOLA447

Ah completely missed the main point of this thread which was coding advice. Apologies as I'm starting to wonder why I made it I. I probably shouldn't go so much into personal details on an internet forum.

I think a lot of people do that. It's just not like talking to people at work here. :blink:

As for coding, you need an actual project, with an end use. It's very hard to learn "coding" with no end aim. Bit like learning an instrument, with no tune in mind.

A lot of fine software is free nowadays.

You could buy an Arduino board, and download the development environment, and make lights go on and off, if your soldering is good, and have a basic understanding of electronics,

You could download the entire Java SDK, with the Netbeans IDE and start there.

You could stick Linux on an old PC. Almost always comes with a C/C++ compiler called gcc.

Maybe if you have Microsoft Office, you could learn Word/Excel Macros?

A lot of people here seem to work in IT or IT related roles.#

Mr Tulip is our resident psychologist, and every one else pretends to be a trucker (old joke).

HOLA448

To OP, best wishes to you. Hopefully, it is of some reassurance that I thought your previous posts were generally fine.

There are many different routes to programming, but once you have one language under your belt - it becomes easier.

I'm going to chuck in a different idea to help with memory and make it rather fun. Duolingo - an app for learning a new (human) language. It makes learning a language rather like playing a game and you can do as much or as little of it as you fancy each day.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

Clozapine?

My parents neighbours grandson went from complete loony tunes to eventually running his Fathers building company after getting on Clozapine.

HOLA4411

Clozapine?

My parents neighbours grandson went from complete loony tunes to eventually running his Fathers building company after getting on Clozapine.

Sounds like a good result except running a building company is probably a lot more actual work than chasing pigeons.

HOLA4412

a very good friend who has worked closely in a NHS counselling role with people with schizophenia and, whilst he has told me of the importance of taking the right medication on a regular basis for those who suffer from schizophenia, he passonately believed that mindfulness meditation, yoga and tai chi helped his schizophenic patients enormously.

+1 million

Absolutely the best advice ever

My late father had schizophrenia (plus other bad stuff in his head) and would go off his meds - and chaos would ensue - guaranteed, so stay on them if they are working.

HOLA4413

Have you considered R (stats)? It is free, with big online community + there are lots of interesting example problems online. Since you have a maths background it might be a good match for you. UCLA do nice intro stuff: http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/r/

Its not so much a proper programming language though. I did maths too and whilst stats was what I found least enjoyable have ended up as a statistician as I find the medical application interesting.

Btw I would not have assumed drug background from having scizophrenia - I would assume chance or perhaps some trauma in childhood.

HOLA4414

Good luck, there are many people on here with a wide range of experience in life and programming.

If you ask for some speciific advice you'll usually get some pretty fair answers, or at least some pointers where to go.

As for your past, glad you are getting better. Cheers.

HOLA4415

Ah completely missed the main point of this thread which was coding advice. Apologies as I'm starting to wonder why I made it I. I probably shouldn't go so much into personal details on an internet forum.

I've done some online courses as a beginner:

Basic: https://www.coursera.org/course/cs101

Ok but dry and I wouldn't call it an intro; takes up hell of a lot of time: https://www.edx.org/course/introduction-computer-science-mitx-6-00-1x-5

About right: https://www.udacity.com/course/intro-to-computer-science--cs101

Started but haven't got round to for a while; also seems about right: https://www.edx.org/course/introduction-computer-science-harvardx-cs50x

Planning to do at some point: https://www.coursera.org/course/nand2tetris1

They were all free, with ongoing assessments and exam. Maybe not any more but I think all are still available as tutorials with material to complete at your own pace.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Thanks to everyone here for the help and advice. It was very interesting to read what was said about the coding process, I think it might work in my favour although my memory is not what it used to be sadly.

I think python is a good place to start so thank you.

Archived