House Price Crash Forum

Over Rated Actors

HOLA441

In my opinion the most shocking examples are not from big films where even the poorer actors have redeeming features of some kind (pretty faces, big muscles etc.), but from tv dramas and the like.

It is here where good solid actors seem to get routinely overlooked in favour of celeb luvvie types who are well known but with minimal talent (unsurprisingly, old Aunty Beeb is frequently guilty of this kind of behaviour).

A good example would be David Walliams. He was bearable as a comedy actor in Little Britain (just), but suddenly it seems as though people think that he can actually act (he can't).

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

In my opinion the most shocking examples are not from big films where even the poorer actors have redeeming features of some kind (pretty faces, big muscles etc.), but from tv dramas and the like.

It is here where good solid actors seem to get routinely overlooked in favour of celeb luvvie types who are well known but with minimal talent (unsurprisingly, old Aunty Beeb is frequently guilty of this kind of behaviour).

A good example would be David Walliams. He was bearable as a comedy actor in Little Britain (just), but suddenly it seems as though people think that he can actually act (he can't).

He was very good in the Frankie Howerd biopic (IMHO) but I haven't seen him in any other straight drama; maybe the part just suited him then.

HOLA443

He was very good in the Frankie Howerd biopic (IMHO) but I haven't seen him in any other straight drama; maybe the part just suited him then.

Didn't see it, but I can see why he was cast fot that as he does look/act a bit like the young Frankie Howard.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

Shatner's acting mystifies me, since it has got progressively worse over the years; the earlier episodes of Star Trek are watchable, he's fairly pedestrian, nothing special. The Star Trek films have never been very good anyway, all sort of six-out-of-ten type affairs, but his presence in them turns something that's meant to be a sci-fi into a few fun days out for Shatner who at least seems to be enjoying himself. I'm surprised he didn't try to put himself forward for the lead role in "I Am Legend".

HOLA447

Shatner's acting mystifies me, since it has got progressively worse over the years; the earlier episodes of Star Trek are watchable, he's fairly pedestrian, nothing special. The Star Trek films have never been very good anyway, all sort of six-out-of-ten type affairs, but his presence in them turns something that's meant to be a sci-fi into a few fun days out for Shatner who at least seems to be enjoying himself. I'm surprised he didn't try to put himself forward for the lead role in "I Am Legend".

I think he is a great actor because I have concluded that he is actually Denny Crane in real life and that William Shatner is his acting persona :lol:

HOLA448

Shattner's musical efforts are presented today as an obvious joke, but when he released The Transformed Man in 1968 I think he was deadly serious. Personally I think it's awesome, but I suspect that you probably wouldn't like it.

HOLA449

I've got past the first track which appears to consist of Shatner bumptiously shouting Shakespeare-esque epithets set to the incidental music from the Star Trek series. The second one reminds me of some of my hypnosis recordings, a bit like "Where the Wild Roses Grow" (Cave/Minogue I think). The third one saw me turning it off.

I hear it as a novelty record, not as something serious. But then isn't that the point of the man - he's never "serious". He seems to only ever play one part, like Jeff Goldblum.

Tom Cruise got a mention earlier, and he's much the same in every film, though deserves credit for that courtroom performance in "A Few Good Men". Likewise Nicholson has had a mention. And here they are giving outstanding performances.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

My favourite Shatner moment is him reciting the lyrics of Common People as a duet with Joe Jackson on the Letterman Show. Now sadly, disappeared from Youtube

edit: yay!

Wrath of Khan dude, an almost perfect toasted ham sandwich of a movie

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Shattner's musical efforts are presented today as an obvious joke, but when he released The Transformed Man in 1968 I think he was deadly serious. Personally I think it's awesome, but I suspect that you probably wouldn't like it.

Loved his version of Common people. Than again, much like a lot of Jarvis Cocker, it's more talking than singing and Joe Jackson does the real singing bit. I'm a fan of Ben Fold's Five which also helps.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Whilst having a read of one of the links posted on here I somehow ended up at this fascinating blog article by an actor who has been an extra in loads of films and TV series. It is a very interesting insight into the life of being an extra in LA.

I enjoyed reading it and thought it was worthwhile posting the link here.

https://ralphm1999.wordpress.com/2013/09/20/on-set-a-day-in-the-life-of-an-extrabackground-actor-in-the-1950s/#comment-2217

HOLA4425

Archived