House Price Crash Forum

I Bought A New Car Today!

longtomsilver

HOLA441

The finance deal on my current car doesn't run out until 01/16 however I went ahead and bought a new one on PCP for £110x36 paying the deposit (again £110). The salesman asked me when I'd like to collect the car and I told him vaguely sometime after September (naughty of me) and he'll register the car then (59plate) placing the vehicle in their indoor compound.

I'll be saying au revoir to my £350p/month Mercedes and look forward to cheap, inconspicuous motoring (Citroen C1).

I get roughly £2k per annum in dividends from my small ISA holding so ignoring the evils of inflation it's practically free motoring.

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

I got myself a Kia.

They are dirt cheap, regularly top the JD power survey and a 7 year warranty you can "rent" a small kia on PCP for about 69 quid a month at the moment. Fit and finish is easily as good as anything else, a lot of people sneer at me but Im not the one dropping 300 a month to rent a german luxury car and all the problems which some with it.

I found it cheaper to do this and less troublesome than to have a second hand car. I find there is no point in having "equity" in a car now

HOLA445
HOLA446

Thank you but will the wife...

I told her before I left for work this evening.

Texts received:

You had better not ordered another ******ing car

I am not driving a shit c1 so you can gm cancel

---

She'll come round :D

I will use the motorway just leave twenty minutes early and stay in the slow lane.

HOLA447
HOLA448

Still dead money, I bought a yaris 01 plate 50k on clock £1000.00, in the last year spent nowt,MOT, failed on a shock (£30.00) Yaris still worth £1000.00 average 45 MPG, I can get all my tools in it inc a 6 foot ladder with the boot down,best car ever,steel timing chain,nippy," :D car renting is dead money"

LOL I had one of those too mines was an 02 plate i ran it to destruction. Amazing car. I just rent my car now after a couple of scarey repair bills which cost as much as the car. Repairs last year were more than payments on a kia. I completley understand running a yaris though, its an amazing car although i hear the new ones arent as good as the old ones.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

I have a 2005 Mondeo 3 Litre V6 Estate. Cost me £1600 in Oct 2012, has cost me less than £200 in service parts and oil in the 14000 miles I've done in it since. It's huge and will fit 5 people and 4 suitcases for an airport run, or about 150 bottles of wine and 10 cases of beer on a booze cruise. Out of town it does 35mpg at motorway speeds. Leather seats and a cracking stereo, and when it's just me in it, it responds very nicely to being driven like I just stole it.

Keep your small cars :P .

HOLA4412

I have a 2005 Mondeo 3 Litre V6 Estate. Cost me £1600 in Oct 2012, has cost me less than £200 in service parts and oil in the 14000 miles I've done in it since. It's huge and will fit 5 people and 4 suitcases for an airport run, or about 150 bottles of wine and 10 cases of beer on a booze cruise. Out of town it does 35mpg at motorway speeds. Leather seats and a cracking stereo, and when it's just me in it, it responds very nicely to being driven like I just stole it.

Keep your small cars :P .

My present car which is a Mercedes C250 AMG Sport Estate on paper matches the performance of your Mondeo, same top speed/~bhp and a few fractions of a second quicker 0-60 TOP TRUMPS (sorry :P ) ok so it doesn't have that distinctive V6 note but certainly pulls like a tank. Truth is I'm bored of the foot down blips and they have been frequent or the one time run up to top speed (gps 150.1mph) and have never really utilised the acres of boot space.

What I'm after is something that can get me from a to b while keeping the rain off me and be able to carry my paraglider (probably won't go in the boot but will sit on the back seat). That is all I ask of my car and the C1 will fit the bill nicely.

:)

HOLA4413

Still dead money, I bought a yaris 01 plate 50k on clock £1000.00, in the last year spent nowt,MOT, failed on a shock (£30.00) Yaris still worth £1000.00 average 45 MPG, I can get all my tools in it inc a 6 foot ladder with the boot down,best car ever,steel timing chain,nippy," :D car renting is dead money"

It's worked for you however there'll be am equal number of banger drivers that have had expensive repairs that put cheap rentals within reach.

For perspective as an early adopter mobile phone user I was paying a similar sum in the early nineties to run a Nokia brick. My phone bills really were £90-100 a month as a light user (back in the days when the mobile operators made up your bills in their favour).

My mobile phone bill is now £15 a month and that includes a massive amount of data. I was very afraid to use WAP on the old Nokia as that was eye wateringly expensive.

HOLA4414

My mobile phone bill is now £15 a month and that includes a massive amount of data. I was very afraid to use WAP on the old Nokia as that was eye wateringly expensive.

It's a matter of perspective. Gosh, for me, £15 a month is eye-wateringly expensive! I pay the Phone Co-Op £4/month, that probably includes less data (500MB) than your deal, but I only use half of it as it is, with pretty heavy usage IMHO.

(I work with people who think it's a necessary minimum to pay £60/month, but a fool and his money are easily parted.)

HOLA4415

My last car was 6 year sold, japanese, diesel. Always maintained to schedule not an exciting car. One bill just under 400 next bill over a 1000 plus tyres 260 for two fronts in a year plus older cars are higher up the tax bands.It was due its MOT new brakes new back tyre, I owned it outright but just maintenance and road tax 1660+ in less than a year. Or roughly 140 per month. For that I can rent a cheap kia 7 year warranty pay way less road tax better mileage and all that. I could have gambled on a banger but I tend to find people are selling cars that are starting to go wrong. Its hard unless you know the history of the car.

I see it as renting a transportation device. Just like I rent a shelter. Keeps me mobile in every sense

Funny how we buy big cars outright but rent houses yet the otherside buy houses and rent massive cars

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Maybe they are secretly hoping for a 'Car Price Crash', when all those 3 year leasing deals come to and end the cars will have to go somewhere.

car price crash.co.uk lol

Where they complain about having to pay to maintain it and government tax they have to pay :)

I do wonder about those leasing deals, in a few years does that mean the car market will be flooded with cheap cars?

HOLA4418

car price crash.co.uk lol

Where they complain about having to pay to maintain it and government tax they have to pay :)

I do wonder about those leasing deals, in a few years does that mean the car market will be flooded with cheap cars?

Yes! Loads of cheap Mercs and Beemers as allthe people in Essex refi on to new contracts.

HOLA4419

I'm in the market for a car in a couple of months - got company car at the moment - and have been looking on autotrader searching for

<£5k

<100k miles

<10 years old

filtered for Nav

There are some tasty motors available. 5 series beemers with all the toys, E Class Mercs etc will full dealer history they're everywhere... I was very surprised at how much car five grand buys.

Good point above about renting/buying houses/cars though.

HOLA4420

Ive had hundeds of cars,I used to sell em, if you want a cheap smoke for under a £k just buy a jap car!! when I wanted a yaris, I you want a car that will keep going just try and find the highest mileage one you can,I found loads with 150k plus, I then bought one with 50k on the clock, repaired cat c (bumper got hit,minimal)

I spend 90% of the time on my own in my car the other 10% ferrying kids round to various clubs,trust me.Ive had 5 series and 7 series beemas, mercs etc even had a 5.3litre jag (shite),anything under 40mpg your paying "fools tax" at the pump,

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

I had an MX-5 until recently that was mainly for weekend use. Loved it, but I just wasn't getting my money's worth out of it so I sold it. Not for the commute...

Unfortunately, about a month after that went my motorbike got nicked. Now that's cheap: £60 a year tax, £80 on insurance and often 45+mpg depending on the use. Learning to ride was the best thing ever! New bike gets 60+mpg even with spirited commuting - that was only £2k for a 2007 and loads of bits.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425