House Price Crash Forum

What Is It With Avocados?

HOLA441

I have googled how to choose, cut and prepare avocados. I have even watched youtube videos on them - there are loads - but no matter what I do I just can't get avocados right. A friend, whenever she uses avocados in her dishes, gets them just right but I can't.

I buy the ones that are supposedly ready ripened - as I did over a week ago with one that I have now just cut - and it is, even now, clearly still not ripe. Others have gone rotten within hours of getting them home.

I think I am going to give up on them - which is a bad thing as supposedly they are very healthy for you.

Anyone have any problems with fruit or veg - in a non-sexual way?

Avocados have become my arch-nemesis.

HOLA442

I have googled how to chose, cut and prepare avocados. I have even watched youtube videos on them - there are loads - but no matter what I do I just can't get avocados right. A friend, whenever she uses avocados in her dishes, gets them just right but I can't.

I buy the ones that are supposedly ready ripened - as I did over a week ago with one that I have now just cut - and it is, even now, clearly still not ripe. Others have gone rotten within hours of getting them home.

I think I am going to give up on them - which is a bad thing as supposedly they are very healthy for you.

Anyone have any problems with fruit or veg - in a non-sexual way?

Avocados have become my arch-nemesis.

This made me laugh out loud I was saying the same to my wife ! must be an IT thing :)

HOLA443
HOLA444

Oranges for me. Only about 1 in 10 packs of oranges I buy are easy to peel and sweet tasting despite advertising themselves as such. Some are positively vile while opening them is like something from the Krypton Factor. There is no correlation between price paid and ability to meet their own self declared qualities either.

HOLA445

Cut in half and stab the stone with a sharp knife....twist and discard.

They do do avocado knives, not that much difference to a grapefruit knife....otherwise use an ordinary knife cut closely to the skin, all around then make some criss cross cuts and turn inside out...easy peasy lemon squeesy.....olive oil and lemon dressing plus seasoning.....add some crispy bacon....tasty and delicious. ;)

HOLA446

There are different varieties of avocado. Some seem to go straight from rock hard to brown mush, but a decent one is delicious. I think it's partly to do with how they're kept: if they've been refrigerated (e.g. the shop uses a bad supply chain), they're doomed.

Anyone for avocado recipes? Lovely mousse with greek yoghurt and a hint of and mint. Or insalata tricolore with beef tomato mozarella, and a drop of olive oil, pepper and basil. Or inna stir-fry. Or served as a starter stuffed with cottage cheese and a sprinkling of pine nuts, pepper and lemon. Mmmm :)

HOLA447
They do do avocado knives, not that much difference to a grapefruit knife....otherwise use an ordinary knife cut closely to the skin,

Bah. The time to eat an avocado is just when it peels nicely and cleanly by just pulling the skin gently away (once the fruit has been chopped into two halves). No need for any knife other than the one to chop it in half.

HOLA448
HOLA449

The Waitrose variety is the best.

The thing to look at is the country of origin, the ones from Italy are rubbish - go for the south american ones every time

getting fruit transported such large distances is not very environmentally friendly, but I don't care, taste wise there is no comparison

HOLA4410

Bah. The time to eat an avocado is just when it peels nicely and cleanly by just pulling the skin gently away (once the fruit has been chopped into two halves). No need for any knife other than the one to chop it in half.

Did you know avocados are replacing oranges in many places......they will never ripen whilst on the tree, once picked they will start to ripen,pick but keep a long stem attached ......black avocados are different to the green ones......no avocado tastes as nice as the ones you pick yourself.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Two things about the avocado. Wikipedia claims that the name comes from: -

…the Nahuatl word āhuacatl … Sometimes the Nahuatl word was used with the meaning "testicle", probably because of the likeness between the fruit and the body part.

Have you noticed that an avocado stone often germinates in the rotting heat of a good compost heap, and wondered why it can, while other seeds and pits perish?

Wikipedia again: -

In 1982, the evolutionary biologist Daniel H. Janzen suggested that the avocado may be an example of an 'evolutionary anachronism', a fruit adapted for ecological relationship with now-extinct large mammals (such as giant ground sloths or gomphotheres). Most large fleshy fruits serve the function of seed dispersal, accomplished by their consumption by large animals. There are some reasons to think that the fruit, with its mildly toxic pit, may have coevolved with Pleistocene megafauna to be swallowed whole and excreted in their dung, ready to sprout. No extant native animal is large enough to effectively disperse avocado seeds in this fashion…

As for getting hold of a guaranteed ripe avocado, the consistently best place for me is Waitrose, but choose one with a dark knobbly skin, not a smooth green one. With a lot of practice you can slice it into an elegant fan shape, but you use up a lot of avocados in the process of learning.

You can always turn your failures into guacamole.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

The Waitrose variety is the best.

Do they peel themselves?

(I cut mine in half then eat the contents - can't say I've found this requires any particular skill)

HOLA4417

Pizza Express Bosco salad. A thing of excellence.

Warm garlic mushrooms, light mozzarella, avocado, roasted tomatoes, spinach, rocket, balsamic syrup, honey & mustard dressing and warm dough sticks

You can reproduce this at home very easily (minus the dough sticks, not so easy to find) and it's superb. I shall confess that I don't do much of the cooking though.

The avocado makes it. I'm not normally mad about it but the flavour combination in this is wonderful.

HOLA4418

Pizza Express Bosco salad. A thing of excellence.

Warm garlic mushrooms, light mozzarella, avocado, roasted tomatoes, spinach, rocket, balsamic syrup, honey & mustard dressing and warm dough sticks

You can reproduce this at home very easily (minus the dough sticks, not so easy to find) and it's superb. I shall confess that I don't do much of the cooking though.

The avocado makes it. I'm not normally mad about it but the flavour combination in this is wonderful.

Dough sticks? They sound alarming.

HOLA4419

Avocado's were 28p a kilo here in Marrakech a few months back and absolutely delicious. As you cut them you had to duck to avoid the juice squirting out of them, smooth green skins, lovely.

A popular drink here is juiced avocado with dates in and I was surprised to find just how nice this tastes. Huge glass of the stuff, chilled for about 50p. Like a protein supercharge.

HOLA4420

avos_zpsr97hxtjz.jpg

:D A truism, sadly.

Best places in my experience are Waitrose and M&S, and you should always buy Hass (dark, knobbly) if you can, as they are generally creamier than the Fuete ones (smoother and greener). The 'ready to eat' ones are either as described, or sometimes you need to wait a day or two (annoys me every time - false advertising!). Waitrose are good because they will take them back if within date and they've gone brown (as everywhere should) and refund you double the cost. I've lost track of the number I've taken back over the years!

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned bananas! Place the unripe avocados in a paper bag with some bananas and they'll ripen in super quick time due to the ethelyne gas released (other fruits work too, but bananas are the best apparently!).

HOLA4421

swallowed whole and excreted in their dung, ready to sprout. No extant native animal is large enough to effectively disperse avocado seeds in this fashion…

I think Mr Pin may have something to say about that. If he hasn't already tried it, I shall be sorely disillusioned.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Don't you have any satsuma instructions lying around? Same operating system I believe.

Similar colour but dont let that cunning superficial subterfuge fool you. Its like comparing apples with pears. Oranges are tricky f*ckers.

HOLA4425

Archived