House Price Crash Forum

Viewpoint. How House Price Gains And Voluntary Redundancy Set Two Teachers Free From Worrying About The End Of The Public Sector Salary Bubble

Si1

HOLA441

yeah, deep joy.

No better way to start the day than swooping around on a bike; back lanes, gravel tracks, or traffic jamming.

Have to say, that bloke in the vid does seem a bit keen of running down people on foot. One of the reasons I don't use drops in town is so that I can see over the roofs of cars and have a bit more spatial awareness than he's displaying.

HOLA442

I trained later in life as a teacher, in another country and in a college run along lines somewhat different to most training colleges, and I came out the other end with the opinion that training and being a genuinely good teacher isn't exactly a piece of cake. Whether most training institutions are actually selecting and training to high standards, hmmm...

Teaching: easy to do badly, hard to do well. The article doesn't give much clue as to which kind of teacher these two were.

HOLA443

Totally agree. It sounds like they just had awful jobs. Find something more rewarding and learn to live with less and they'd have been happier.

Not that I'm criticising what they're doing but eventually it'll start to get a bit old and they'll want to go back to a more settled existence. They might find themselves plunged back into their old lives.

Played golf twice last week with clients, did some work re strategy, our company treated a youngster to a 21st birthday lunch with all his colleagues, donated to charity at one of the golf days and made some new contacts

They seem a little naive a big driver for your own business is to live the life they describe without the either/or poverty bit

HOLA444

Played golf twice last week with clients, did some work re strategy, our company treated a youngster to a 21st birthday lunch with all his colleagues, donated to charity at one of the golf days and made some new contacts

They seem a little naive a big driver for your own business is to live the life they describe without the either/or poverty bit

Which was nice.

HOLA445

Teaching: easy to do badly, hard to do well. The article doesn't give much clue as to which kind of teacher these two were.

The standard and attitude of their writing implies a clear answer to this...

HOLA446
HOLA447

yeah, deep joy.

Ive rarely seen better clips where the anticipation of the dangers is so missing...blames everyone else of course. The cyclist is a moron.

HOLA448

Hmm, yes.

End of the day. Buy the course book - and all exams have course books.

Ask yourself - does a teacher add ~40K (pay + benefits) value to the contents of a book?

For the 40% of pupils who leave UK schools without a C grade or higher in English and Maths, the answer is: 'No'.

Expecting a response of 'What do you know about teaching!' which is what I get from some teachers in my GF's social group.

The answer is - I went through 11 years of compulsory school, followed by 2 years a levels, 4 years degree and 1 years masters.

There was an awful lot of hoons, incompetents and general misfits and fiddlers along the way.

Teaching's akin to a religion.

When I hinted at the above in certain circles, I've been verbally torn a new one.

I usually keep my mouth shut now, but I still have to do the occasional re-teach with my son. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy for them to babysit him for his legal requirement. Got to do your time.

HOLA449

Teaching's akin to a religion.

When I hinted at the above in certain circles, I've been verbally torn a new one.

I usually keep my mouth shut now, but I still have to do the occasional re-teach with my son. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy for them to babysit him for his legal requirement. Got to do your time.

Although the numbers seem too regular, I found that:

~30% were good (by good, I actually mean competent),

~30% could do with a combination of extra training/kick up the ****.

~30% sacked on the spot.

Going by my kids schools, its not different.

For me, primary was OK. Hardly surprising, as we are just talking reading + writing + sums.

Secondary, the quality dropped off a lot. By 16, I was at the point of having to point out ******ups and helping the teacher with the work esp. in maths + physics.

Secondary schools are stuffed to gills of crap, under-performing arts + humanities grads.

Primary schools appear to be stuffed full of vocational people.

One of my GF's full-on teachersfriends worries about having to step up from years 1 and teach maths to year 2/7 year olds FFS!

Thats adding up to 10!!!!

A level, things picked up a bit. Half the kids had cleared off, so there was no requirement for babysitting and the teachers were a lot more competent.

Teaching, a long with the rest of the public sector, suffers from not having a good clearout of the dross.

In the private sector, we have recessions, which, as well as the pain and hassle, also give an opportunity to clear out dross and the useless.

HOLA4410

Ive rarely seen better clips where the anticipation of the dangers is so missing...blames everyone else of course. The cyclist is a moron.

+1 as a motorcyclist his speed seems inappropriate in many of the clips oh I forgot

It's all about momentum to your grave......

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Although the numbers seem too regular, I found that:

~30% were good (by good, I actually mean competent),

~30% could do with a combination of extra training/kick up the ****.

~30% sacked on the spot.

Going by my kids schools, its not different.

For me, primary was OK. Hardly surprising, as we are just talking reading + writing + sums.

Secondary, the quality dropped off a lot. By 16, I was at the point of having to point out ******ups and helping the teacher with the work esp. in maths + physics.

Secondary schools are stuffed to gills of crap, under-performing arts + humanities grads.

Primary schools appear to be stuffed full of vocational people.

One of my GF's full-on teachersfriends worries about having to step up from years 1 and teach maths to year 2/7 year olds FFS!

Thats adding up to 10!!!!

A level, things picked up a bit. Half the kids had cleared off, so there was no requirement for babysitting and the teachers were a lot more competent.

Teaching, a long with the rest of the public sector, suffers from not having a good clearout of the dross.

In the private sector, we have recessions, which, as well as the pain and hassle, also give an opportunity to clear out dross and the useless.

Reminds me of the German comedian on the alternative coverage of the election.

When asked what would you change about it: privatise the vote count. Because their told "these need to be counted by x time" that's what you get.

On balence I should also clarify I had some brilliant teachers at school, but your numbers definitely stack up with what I remember. At Alevel only one of my teachers were not fit for purpose and he was made redundant in my year 13.

Science in appeared to have the wildest competency swings from memory. Oh and I had a PE teacher who was eventually sacked,arrested and sentenced for embezzling funds from ski trips. Cracking rugby coach though.

The best teacher I ever had was my Year 9 English teacher. Very passionate about what he did, but shouldn't have been teaching really as he was clearly a manic depressive, I believe he attempted suicide a few times.

If teaching upped it's game a bit (and was representative of my 'best' teachers) I would be all for remuneration review, as the impact a good teacher can have us far reaching. Maybe some sort of +10 years bonus should be in order based on reviews of their students once economically active. That way the babysitters/coasters get ****** all and the gems get a much higher salary.

HOLA4413

Half the problem with teaching is that they dig their own whole.

Fill a class full of 30 kids, fail to teach them and wonder why they are bored.

Education gets better the more you go on.

Mainly as you only get a teacher doing an intro/overview then you have to work from the book for the rest.

That sort of teaching works and scaling up really well esp. in these days where you can use Khan academy or some online course to have a video tutorial refresh on a subject.

Taking an extreme example - Linear Algebra Gilber Strang.

He wrote the best book.

He's put his lectures online.

Do you think some history grad is going to add any extra value over and above whats already there.

Same goes for any topic really.

Have a UK wide vote or die on the written info and video tutorials.

Time to start investing money in education capital - books, videos, online tutorials rather than pissing money away on schools and teachers.

HOLA4414

Schools are basically designed to institutionalise children into the rat-race. Teachers are the willing accomplices of that system.

HOLA4415

Agreed. Often going too fast - particularly when cycling on the inside of cars. Suspect the cyclist figures it's everyone else's duty to get out of the way for them. And as far as London goes - not many of those clips qualify as near misses either.

HOLA4416

Schools are basically designed to institutionalise children into the rat-race. Teachers are the willing accomplices of that system.

As discussed on previous OT threads, statist indoctrination was an explicit objective of compulsory state education from the off...

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prussian_education_system

Gauging the success of a state education system in terms of reading and writing kind of presumes that's primarily what it's all about. I've grown to doubt that. In terms of preparing kids for what's expected of them, and what they can expect, as adults, our state education system arguably functions superbly.

Re. what constitutes a 'good' teacher. Decent teaching impo is not primarily about being a supplement to text books. It's about maintaining an environment where kid's natural desire to learn is nurtured and modeling behaviours, attitudes and modes of thinking for the kids to pick up on.

Archived