House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Si1

Viewpoint. How House Price Gains And Voluntary Redundancy Set Two Teachers Free From Worrying About The End Of The Public Sector Salary Bubble

It could be the makings of a compelling and heart warming weekly TV series.

A couple of teachers on a sabbatical and their two adorable children, wandering the Earth like Caine in Kung Fu, driving into a new town each week and using their special powers to right wrongs and transform the lives of the people they meet.

It could be the makings of a compelling and heart warming weekly TV series.

A couple of teachers on a sabbatical and their two adorable children, wandering the Earth like Caine in Kung Fu, driving into a new town each week and using their special powers to right wrongs and transform the lives of the people they meet.

All over a coffee at their own book-signings

All over a coffee at their own book-signings

I'm totally on board with the concept of the tension between available quality time and income, paring things back, living a simpler, more self-reliant existence that's in keeping with our nature, all that neo-hippy stuff. Yet, strangely, or maybe not, I didn't warm to that article.

And the preachy tone of that piece suggests to me that the author may indeed be completely blind to the irony of slagging off the prevailing social-economic sytem whilst living a lifestyle that's only possible within such a system.

the author may indeed be completely blind to the irony of slagging off the prevailing social-economic sytem whilst living a lifestyle that's only possible within such a system.

Behind every hippy is someone else's money. Someone else's toil. So they can drop the smugness.

But I do agree with the concept of not keeping up with the joneses and learning to live with less.

The thing that struck me was that it was a bit like those people who go on holiday to France or Spain, have a fantastic time with the family and then decided to jack it all in to live that life permanenty. Then when they're there and after a couple of months of being as though they are on perma-holiday, with lots of quality time, sit there looking out at the sea and wondering what next? I've got all this time now, I've got everything I want, why am I and my family not happy. Of course that lurks deep inside in the subconscious at first and rather than bring that misgiving to the surface they start proselytising and telling, impeaching everyone to have such a great life as them. The kids end up uneducated and rootless and with no hopes of a career in some sun-bombed out part of the countryside that has been deserted by the locals already.

I understand what you are saying and especially if you stay in one place and lack any other idea than quitting the job, drinking wine and having a siesta while the kids are meant to amuse themselves,

But I think if you have a young family and decide to leave the rat race and travel, whether by boat or motorhome, and to educate 'at home', then you and the children can have a great life.

There is certainly no need to have a career. However, I bet many kids brought up outside the 'rat race' will (looking back at the end) have had fulfilling careers because simply, they will be well rounded and worldly. While they may never have been on a career during their life-journey of doing 'just what they want to do', it will have made a fulfilling life at the end.

That could also be achieved on a croft.

I think I am having a career, but I just do what I want. Today, that's typing this while thinking what project I might do next.

just how many cocktails can you sip by the pool?

You can actually take that holiday attitude with you to your job. trouble is, most people take their job with their attitude. For me, going out on a call means a visit to see some friends, where I happen to help them.

Cant wait to take this same attitude to my new job in the public sector.

just how many cocktails can you sip by the pool?

You can actually take that holiday attitude with you to your job. trouble is, most people take their job with their attitude. For me, going out on a call means a visit to see some friends, where I happen to help them.

Cant wait to take this same attitude to my new job in the public sector.

Totally agree. It sounds like they just had awful jobs. Find something more rewarding and learn to live with less and they'd have been happier.

Not that I'm criticising what they're doing but eventually it'll start to get a bit old and they'll want to go back to a more settled existence. They might find themselves plunged back into their old lives.

TIme is more valuable than money, from a bloke who has not much of either. :unsure:

What is there plan for retirement? Presumably they will now start creating a hole in NI contributions so risk not getting full state pension.

I too agree with the not keeping up with the Jones's though. I try and keep our family budget well within our means because the IT industry i am in feels notorious for burning people out or making them redundant once they reach a certain age, and nobody thinks it will happen to them as they are different, yet it still happens to many each year.

What is there plan for retirement?

Their 20 years or so each paid into the old teachers final salary scheme will probably cover a reasonable retirement without requiring any more contributions, my guess anyway

And to cap it all, I saw Kerry on what seemed like a daily basis being psychologically and emotionally crushed under a growing pile of marking, pupil target matrices and pointless Excel spreadsheets that were being filled in because the data might one day make an Ofsted inspector happy.

I saw one of the most naturally gifted and enthusiastic teachers become utterly disillusioned with the job that teaching has become, to the extent that it was making her unhappy and unhealthy.

That's the nub of the article.

Can't see much difference between them and "travellers". They've got a caravan towed with a van and move from one place to another.

Their 20 years or so each paid into the old teachers final salary scheme will probably cover a reasonable retirement without requiring any more contributions, my guess anyway

From my reading, it came across as a gap year, no more no less. They'll just slot back into their old life sooner rather than later.

Obviously they'll now be better people than the rest of us so they'll be in control of their lives in the future. Natch.

Ill post more on this.Teaching is one of those jobs that attracts a certain kind - educated and useless.

Journos are the same.

There have been a *lot* of journo umployment over the last 10-15 years.

The tone + pitch of the article reminded me of this bloke, who I have posted about:

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/189555-no-going-back-revisited/

Lets get out of the 'rat-race' bring our kids up etc etc, take it easy i.e. do fck all work and try and scab off someone.

All with an eye to writing the next middle class coffee table book. Real Sunday mag *****athon.

I doubt they'll walk back into teaching. One thing schools are not short of is teachers.

He'll end up putting his wife + kid on the game before he bothers to support himself.

The mother's garden bloke is still there.

I guess he's finding out the reason why the Catalans legged it from those idyllic farmhouses to go and live in a city centre flat - money.

Ill post more on this.Teaching is one of those jobs that attracts a certain kind - educated and useless.

Journos are the same.

There have been a *lot* of journo umployment over the last 10-15 years.

The tone + pitch of the article reminded me of this bloke, who I have posted about:

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/189555-no-going-back-revisited/

Lets get out of the 'rat-race' bring our kids up etc etc, take it easy i.e. do fck all work and try and scab off someone.

All with an eye to writing the next middle class coffee table book. Real Sunday mag *****athon.

I doubt they'll walk back into teaching. One thing schools are not short of is teachers.

He'll end up putting his wife + kid on the game before he bothers to support himself.

The mother's garden bloke is still there.

I guess he's finding out the reason why the Catalans legged it from those idyllic farmhouses to go and live in a city centre flat - money.

You are having a giraffe! There is an increasing shortage of teachers and the demographic among the under 5's (and amongst some of the existing teachers) will only exacerbate this.

You are having a giraffe! There is an increasing shortage of teachers and the demographic among the under 5's (and amongst some of the existing teachers) will only exacerbate this.

Because, like a surgeon, it takes 15 years to train a teacher

That's the nub of the article.

Can't see much difference between them and "travellers". They've got a caravan towed with a van and move from one place to another.

Oh the humanity

They've been forced into it by that rotter Gove

I trained later in life as a teacher, in another country and in a college run along lines somewhat different to most training colleges, and I came out the other end with the opinion that training and being a genuinely good teacher isn't exactly a piece of cake. Whether most training institutions are actually selecting and training to high standards, hmmm...

Edit: bringing things back OT, the attractions to me of being a teacher included connecting with and contributing to a community and the ample scope for not working full time (relief work, tutoring). Opening up the opportunity to pursue other, equally fulfilling projects within the confines of the lesser income.

Edit#2: The bottom line is I'd personally warm a lot more to these characters, and especially the preachy tone, if they'd cut their full time work a little bit, pared back their outgoings and got a plot or some other productive activity going, rather than noncing around in a caravan on what appears to be an unsustainable jolly. Have the jolly by all means, but pass on the moral high ground stuff afaic.

You should not teach small children who want to know stuff! In the World of today, it makes you a pervert!

Strange times are with us!

You should not teach small children who want to know stuff! In the World of today, it makes you a pervert!

Strange times are with us!

So true Mr Pin.

I currently direct my own innate compulsion to nurture almost entirely in the direction of vegetables, leaving small children mostly out of it.

We haven't quite reached a point where people question a grown man's motivation for seeking the company of sprouts.

What's missing from this discussion is acknowledgement of the sheer awful depressing grind of the 9-5 + commute.

The commute ceases to be a grind and becomes a joy if ditch the car and buy a push bike.

Hmm, yes.

End of the day. Buy the course book - and all exams have course books.

Ask yourself - does a teacher add ~40K (pay + benefits) value to the contents of a book?

For the 40% of pupils who leave UK schools without a C grade or higher in English and Maths, the answer is: 'No'.

Expecting a response of 'What do you know about teaching!' which is what I get from some teachers in my GF's social group.

The answer is - I went through 11 years of compulsory school, followed by 2 years a levels, 4 years degree and 1 years masters.

There was an awful lot of hoons, incompetents and general misfits and fiddlers along the way.