House Price Crash Forum

Comedy Email From Estate Agent In Hackney

hackney

HOLA441

I received this email from a Hackney estate agent today:

"Dear Mr Hackney,

As the market is tightening we are finding that vendors are slightly more reactive with regards to potentially listening to offers.

Below I have listed all of the properties that we have for sale (Lowest Highest) and the price that the vendor would potentially listen to:

LIST OF PROPERTY:

E.g. 5 bedroom house. Link to property. £1.3million. Listen to £1,150,000

Please let me know if you would like to view any of the properties above.

Kind regards

A Hackney Estate Agent"

I nearly choked on my cornflakes.

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

I received this email from a Hackney estate agent today:

"Dear Mr Hackney,

As the market is tightening we are finding that vendors are slightly more reactive with regards to potentially listening to offers.

Below I have listed all of the properties that we have for sale (Lowest Highest) and the price that the vendor would potentially listen to:

LIST OF PROPERTY:

Kind regards

A Hackney Estate Agent"

I nearly choked on my cornflakes.

Looking forward to the next ten emails.

HOLA446

"more reactive" = euphemism for "desperate" maybe?

Seriously though, it is a good idea to mail your local estate agents asking about any distressed sales they may have on their books. I have done this and pointed out that I am a first time buyer, can move quick etc. The estate agents won't care about a few thousand off the sale price if it means they get the commission (cash coming in). I have no doubt that as the market turns once more, we will see estate agents strongly encouraging vendors to drop prices. Expectations will be well and truly managed. Of course, they will still talk things up as far as the buyers are concerned.

If buyers cannot or will not support current prices, they WILL be telling vendors to drop prices.

Can't wait :)

HOLA447

LIST OF PROPERTY:

Makes me feel good.

Wondering approximate number of houses on the list?

Same SC. EAs will be laughing into a HPC and selling more houses; and they can feel pretty good about themselves at the same time. Welcoming in younger smarter money/families.

HOLA448
HOLA449

Venger, here is one of the houses mentioned, and they listed their entire stock. Moderator, please delete my post if it's inappropriate. Thanks.

http://m.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/35649616?search_identifier=5dc93ed039a1d2607dc99a683ae27205

They had some better property than the above that wasn't shifting, so it's not just a list of poor properties.

Everything has a price and I was surprised that one or two hadn't shifted (the school conversion flat for example).

HOLA4410

Venger, here is one of the houses mentioned, and they listed their entire stock. Moderator, please delete my post if it's inappropriate. Thanks.

http://m.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/35649616?search_identifier=5dc93ed039a1d2607dc99a683ae27205

They had some better property than the above that wasn't shifting, so it's not just a list of poor properties.

Everything has a price and I was surprised that one or two hadn't shifted (the school conversion flat for example).

Thanks hackney. If the EAs are listing them, sending out emails to try and find a buyer, can't see how it's wrong to take a look at just one the forum too.

On with 2 EAs. Not been on market long... 21/12/2014 and 15/01/2015

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-47948719.html

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-47948719.html

Sadly a sale at even the special 'listen to' asking price, would smash through to a new peak price for that postcode... would be first house (according to public viewable free database records) to sell for over £1m in that postcode.

www.rightmove.co.uk/house-prices/E5-9QJ.html

Oh I love those listings with an owner's story. :lol:

http://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/35649616

HOLA4411

Sadly a sale at even the special 'listen to' asking price, would smash through to a new peak price for that postcode... would be first house (according to public viewable free database records) to sell for over £1m in that postcode.

Hackney, might be fun to point this kind of thing out to the EA and see what kind of response you get? Maybe with an off the cuff reference to some of the more bearish recent media reports thrown in if you really want to mess with their heads :D

HOLA4412

"Our special 'listen price'" Pmsl.

You raise a good point - I mentioned this on the London thread, but if you look at a place like Hackney, actually only about 70 properties (I think it is 70 or so) in the E8 postcode have ever gone over a million. It's just now assumed by vendors that their house must be worth "over a million" based on the market in 2013 and 2014.

While the Cotesbach road property is in E5, it's actually an even better story with E5 - just a couple of properties ever sold over 1 million.

The area is being gentrified quite fast, but it is now starting to look more than ever as though spring last year was the time to sell.

Of course the market could have another leg up yet, but CGT for foreign buyers, election and importantly the new stamp duty rates must surely dampen the market above a million pounds. The potential for growth has been softened by not only already high prices, but the transaction costs have massively risen now, plus that possibility of the mansion tax lingering.

Interesting times!

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

The area is being gentrified quite fast, but it is now starting to look more than ever as though spring last year was the time to sell.

Gentrification is the process whereby neighbourhoods previously populated by the working classes get taken over by the middle classes (ie those with SECURE white collar jobs with rock solid pensions-often final salary etc). The sort of thing that happened in Bruges/ Brussels in the post war period with the rise of the EU institutions there or Jericho in Oxford with the postwar expansion of higher education. Few of today's middle classes have these attributes, what we are seeing is not gentrification of working class areas but the obverse- proletarianisation of the middle classes. If they ever find out, prepare to duck.

HOLA4418

Oh I love those listings with an owner's story. :lol:

http://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/35649616

"Having lived here for 20 years, I have finally decided to leave the area, my heart filled with sadness.

For a long time, this area was off the tube network, and so we enjoyed post-war levels of deprivation, with the occasional throw-back to Victorian periods, such as chirpy chimney sweeps and the new petroleum omnibus. Since I am a huge fan of eels, this suited me fine. We had a friendly tight-knit community - brought together by local East End hardmen and a never-ending tide of burglary and arson. I remember popping round to see old Mrs Cramshaw every Wednesday afternoon, in the hope she might croak and leave me her black-and-white PYE telly. We used to let our neighbour graze his horse in our front garden.

However, all good things come to an end, and it is time for me to move on. These are difficult times, and the area is now better suited to youngsters with their deadly serious beards and satchels. I realised that my number was up when the local pie shop, which shut down under Thatcher, reopened selling post-ironic tofu pies and cocktails in mugs. It's right next to the pop-up vintage record store, and cat café with immersive street theatre. I suspect it's only a matter of time before we have an art gallery that also sells Jamaican food.

I am just glad that there has been such a large influx of well-to-do entrepreneurs and media gurus, that I can now sell my house for a million quid."

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

I can't understand why anyone would want to look never mind live in hackney....silly money for nothing special or particularly nice about it IMO.....listen, deaf more like.

I moved there years ago because it was cheap and actually it's turned into a great area to live over the years and I wouldn't want to live anywhere else. I have brought friends from all parts of London, and maybe they are being polite but they all seem to love it.

Nothing special? Only the most green space of any inner city London borough for starters, yet close to city etc.

Prices have got overheated everywhere but there is a reason why people want to live there. I'd much rather live in Hackney than most Islington.

Clapton still has a way to go though (for example where the house in E5 I linked to is). London Fields is already done though.

HOLA4421

"Having lived here for 20 years, I have finally decided to leave the area, my heart filled with sadness.

For a long time, this area was off the tube network, and so we enjoyed post-war levels of deprivation, with the occasional throw-back to Victorian periods, such as chirpy chimney sweeps and the new petroleum omnibus. Since I am a huge fan of eels, this suited me fine. We had a friendly tight-knit community - brought together by local East End hardmen and a never-ending tide of burglary and arson. I remember popping round to see old Mrs Cramshaw every Wednesday afternoon, in the hope she might croak and leave me her black-and-white PYE telly. We used to let our neighbour graze his horse in our front garden.

However, all good things come to an end, and it is time for me to move on. These are difficult times, and the area is now better suited to youngsters with their deadly serious beards and satchels. I realised that my number was up when the local pie shop, which shut down under Thatcher, reopened selling post-ironic tofu pies and cocktails in mugs. It's right next to the pop-up vintage record store, and cat café with immersive street theatre. I suspect it's only a matter of time before we have an art gallery that also sells Jamaican food.

I am just glad that there has been such a large influx of well-to-do entrepreneurs and media gurus, that I can now sell my house for a million quid."

Love this!!!

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

Superb.

HOLA4424

I moved there years ago because it was cheap and actually it's turned into a great area to live over the years and I wouldn't want to live anywhere else. I have brought friends from all parts of London, and maybe they are being polite but they all seem to love it.

Nothing special? Only the most green space of any inner city London borough for starters, yet close to city etc.

Prices have got overheated everywhere but there is a reason why people want to live there. I'd much rather live in Hackney than most Islington.

Clapton still has a way to go though (for example where the house in E5 I linked to is). London Fields is already done though.

How many executions this year, on or near, Clapton roundabout?

HOLA4425