House Price Crash Forum

What Do You Make Of This Amazon Seller

The Masked Tulip

HOLA441

I am looking to buy a torch and came across the one in the below link. On looking at the seller the seller's name is half Chinese and, um, half Swansea. I had to double check that Amazon was not picking something up from my cookies.

I read the seller's reviews and they look good so I wonder what is going on. Bit bizarre.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/CREE-Lumens-Flashlight-Zoomable-Torch/dp/B007ZXUUOG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1422534327&sr=8-1&keywords=cree+torch

Thoughts.

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

Looks like a great torch! Assume he is a uni student in Swansea earning some extra bucks....

Yep, apparently these Cree torches blow away maglites in terms of luminance and price. I am not sure whether Cree is a make or a generic term as there seems to be loads of different types on Amazon and other places.

But the Amazon reviews are generallly very positive - some people have received broken ones but generally people seem to rave about them... and you can get lots of brackets for them for things like bike handlebars or helmets, etc. If you read some of the reviews people have been sticking in powerful batteries and getting very bright luminance as a result.

HOLA449

I just bought a chinese product from a UK address on Amazon. Came in just a day or two by Royal Mail.

The guy was called Ross, emailed back and forth a few times and his English was pretty broken - very helpful though.

My guess is he's chinese and importing the goods but doesn't want you to think you're talking to someone in Beijing :)

P

Yeah, I feel like wanting to find him and go visit his 'grotto' to see what other stock he/she has in. A friend of mine teaches a bunch of Chinese in Swansea Uni so I am waiting back to see if he knows him.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

I wondered where Ken got to.

He got eaten somewhere in sub-Sahara Africa when his motorbike broke down. Oh, the irony. They will find his bones oneday, complete with bite marks, and name his skeleton homus housepricecrasus.

Either that or he bought that chippy on Gower after all.

HOLA4412

..On looking at the seller the seller's name is half Chinese and, um, half Swansea.

Maybe he comes from a welsh family of five.

Apparently, one in five people in the world are Chinese. And there are five people in my family, so it must be one of them. It's either my mum or my dad. Or my older brother, Colin. Or my younger brother, Ho-Chan-Chu. But I think it's Colin.

Tim Vine

HOLA4413

My partner has the head torch version of this and it is ridiculously bright. She has to take care not to blind me or other road users (she's pretty aware and conscientious, she uses it for fast long downhills on bad roads through the woods in winter)

It eats batteries though, about 1 hour on three good rechargeable AAAs.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

My partner has the head torch version of this and it is ridiculously bright. She has to take care not to blind me or other road users (she's pretty aware and conscientious, she uses it for fast long downhills on bad roads through the woods in winter)

It eats batteries though, about 1 hour on three good rechargeable AAAs.

Yep, several reviewers on Amazon say not to point near eyes, especially if you use the powerful battery.

I see that you can buy these in a kit that includes the torch, 2 rechargers for some reason and one rechargable battery.

HOLA4417

All his addresses on Amazon are in China, think the Swansea thing is just one of those random words foreign companies stick in to make it look half legitimate.

This isn't some bloke in a flat in Swansea.

From personal experience most of this really cheap stuff from China is broken on arrival 50% of the time, but the prices are so cheap you can buy 4 and still pay well under what you would on the high street.

HOLA4418

I bought a 'Cree' torch, 2 18650 batteries and a charger for under a tenner delivered from China on ebay. It's very bright, but the torch is ever so slightly too long so the battery occasionally loses contact. If I could be bothered I'd stick a thicker bit of foil on the end of the battery. Since I had two batteries I then bought a second very similar but not quite identical torch for £2.50 delivered, and that's even brighter and better built. I really recommend them.

HOLA4419

Yep, apparently these Cree torches blow away maglites in terms of luminance and price. I am not sure whether Cree is a make or a generic term as there seems to be loads of different types on Amazon and other places.

But the Amazon reviews are generallly very positive - some people have received broken ones but generally people seem to rave about them... and you can get lots of brackets for them for things like bike handlebars or helmets, etc. If you read some of the reviews people have been sticking in powerful batteries and getting very bright luminance as a result.

Cree is the name of the l.e.d chip manufacture generally these torches are very well made for the price most are aluminium not cheap plastic

You do need the 14500/18650 batteries (depending on torch) to get the best out of them

HOLA4420

Maybe he comes from a welsh family of five.

Apparently, one in five people in the world are Chinese. And there are five people in my family, so it must be one of them. It's either my mum or my dad. Or my older brother, Colin. Or my younger brother, Ho-Chan-Chu. But I think it's Colin.

Tim Vine

Tim Vine is taking credit for Tommy Cooper's jokes?

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

He got eaten somewhere in sub-Sahara Africa when his motorbike broke down. Oh, the irony. They will find his bones oneday, complete with bite marks, and name his skeleton homus housepricecrasus.

Either that or he bought that chippy on Gower after all.

http://hackaday.com/2012/05/21/man-stranded-in-the-desert-makes-a-motorcycle-from-his-broken-car/

Ken made it out of the desert ....

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Forgot to say buying batteries 14500/18650 of ebay is like flipping a coin

If you are going to be using the torch a lot by panasonic/samsung batteries 4-5 times the price

I bought a spot welder from China with a view to building and rebuilding various li-on cordless tool battery packs. It's turned out the only way to get the right sort of cells at sensible money is buying the cheapest ready made cordless drill packs and breaking them open.

HOLA4425

Tim Vine is taking credit for Tommy Cooper's jokes?

You may be right, but according to wiki and the indpendent http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/theatre-dance/features/tim-vine-down-the-barrel-of-a-pun-6150842.htmlon 8 march 2005

"Many of Vine's jokes have been falsely attributed to Tommy Cooper;[3] the West End show about Tommy Cooper actually features some of Vine's jokes."

I googled to see if I could find a list of cooper's jokes posted prior to that date, but the earliest I found was 2007 (which did contain the joke)

Then I gave up.

It would be kind of odd if he had copied it word for word and not attributed it.

Archived