House Price Crash Forum

Starving Fed Up With Baked Beans

SarahBell

HOLA441

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/11541803.Wind_of_change_for_bean_swamped_food_bank/?ref=mr

Was on radio this morning that foodbanks everywhere have too many baked beans.
They're 4 tins for a quid, but they'd rather people bought tins of meat for £1 instead.

If you're relying on foodbanks every week (They're mostly limited to 3 visits per family?) then something is really seriously wrong with your circumstances that needs sorting with something stronger than a parcel of tins.

Is this a symptom of why people can't feed themselves? Cos they won't eat beans every day? Yes it'd be boring eating the same thing every day but better than starving?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443

There are two types of people who rely on foodbanks IME:

Temporary users - those on benefits who have a change of circumstance and then there is a six week gap until they get any actual money through

Semi-permanent users - low waged with the vast majority of their wage going on rent

Reduce the excessive rent and sort out the benefits administration then you don't need foodbanks; while you need them the government should be contributing so it's not just baked beans.

HOLA444
HOLA445

Baked Beans are a good source of fibre and calcium. Wheat plays havoc with me but I love a nice simple meal of baked beans on toast or poached egg on toast.

Sainsbury's own brand are probably the tastiest IMPO.

I'd second that. A lot of people associate baked beans with being junk food, but they look alright to me. Protein, sugar, far etc.

beggars clearly can be choosers.

HOLA446
HOLA447

Baked Beans are a good source of fibre and calcium. Wheat plays havoc with me but I love a nice simple meal of baked beans on toast or poached egg on toast.

Sainsbury's own brand are probably the tastiest IMPO.

You forgot the oodles of melted salted butter

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

I have known quite a few people on the breadline and they are the most discerning and picky eaters in the universe. One explanation for this might be that in the absence of other goals in life the basics like nice food and heating become indispensable

By contrast you will get driven business people who will glady live on beans on toast and not heat their houses for a couple of years because they have different goals in life beyond the essential comforts.

HOLA4412

I have known quite a few people on the breadline and they are the most discerning and picky eaters in the universe. One explanation for this might be that in the absence of other goals in life the basics like nice food and heating become indispensable

By contrast you will get driven business people who will glady live on beans on toast and not heat their houses for a couple of years because they have different goals in life beyond the essential comforts.

Unless it's because it's their money that they're saving.

I was at a homeless charity (which did good work, I'm not charity-bashing) that had vast amounts of donated clothes and the guy said a lot of the homeless turn their noses up at them if they're not flash brands!

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Delayed gratification is only worthwhile when there's a payoff

This is logical

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Oh now I really want beans on toast with cheese.

Only have baguettes though, no sliced bread. Near enough I suspect though. :)

Have a cheese omelette....healthy and no wheat. Add some bacon for perfection. Omit corriander

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

People who are visiting a food bank are in no position to want variety.

Beans are absolutely fine. Very healthy. You can eat them at least 4-5 times a week with no issues.

Why not if the food bank can provide it?

It's between a private charity and private individuals, your opinion doesn't come into it

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Archived