• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

I see your point, but the only 2 problems are that, firstly, these people aren't choosing to live with their parents and secondly, this situation wasn't normal just one generation ago.

Some people's parents are dead, especially if we're looking at 44 year olds moving back in with the rents.

Also, some people's parents are horrible people and moving back in is off the cards or divorced and downsized with no spare capacity. And then there's the issue of age related care? Houses being sold to pay for care.

Your standard of living being based on what if any assets your parents have sounds pretty backwards to me.

Some people are born with brains some aren't...some are born with disabilities, some aren't....some are born with parents, some don't.....once if you couldn't look after yourself your family cared for you......now far too many expect the state to be their parents, they are entitled to this and that, a bedroom for each boy and girl......personal responsibility has been transferred to being someone else's responsibly not their own....and that is how it now stands....... ;)

HOLA446
HOLA447

..now far too many expect the state to be their parents

If making yourself dependant on the state pays better than working, then people will do that. I know someone who is a primary school teacher her wage is less than the benefit cap which is a bit depressing. Fortunately by the time her pupils leave school, the benefit cap will be a lot lower than it is now, so for them studying is a good idea.

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Like the incongruous nature of a modern looking woman putting up with the 1980s décor and furniture of her 1980s bedroom for seven whole years...a riot of floral wallpaper, purple curtains, a purple rug and a wall unit that even the local charity shop would turn down.

Thinking about it, I like this woman; the fact that this stuff doesn't bother her makes her refreshingly different imo. Couldn't cope with it myself mind.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/31/1980s-ugliest-decade_n_4179811.html

HOLA4413

Again, this is just another story where people don't even realise the basic fact that they're poorer than their parents generation, let alone understand the reasons for it.

+1

I agree, but it's puzzling why so many are struggling to grasp this. Half the population are gawping at the world with confused and angry expressions, not understanding why living the life they expected is proving so difficult and elusive. But the answer is as plain as a pike staff...you're just poorer than your parents.

HOLA4414

+1

I agree, but it's puzzling why so many are struggling to grasp this. Half the population are gawping at the world with confused and angry expressions, not understanding why living the life they expected is proving so difficult and elusive. But the answer is as plain as a pike staff...you're just poorer than your parents.

The belief that the cheap consumer goods, advances in technology (not least the internet) etc. and University education for anyone that wants to go somehow make life better for young people today. Scraps off the table, however, compared to job security, the ability to buy a house at three times salary and free further education that was previously enjoyed.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

The belief that the cheap consumer goods, advances in technology (not least the internet) etc. and University education for anyone that wants to go somehow make life better for young people today. Scraps off the table, however, compared to job security, the ability to buy a house at three times salary and free further education that was previously enjoyed.

I've mentioned this before but all the ways in which we are poorer than we used to be have been very cleverly masked. Eg, the fact that both husband and wife have to go out to work is considered a triumph of feminism and 'equal opportunities'; long commutes by car are pushed by advertisers as a way of showing off your vehicle and enjoying your 'personal space,' credit cards and debt are seen as just another form of wealth; long working hours are seen as a way of showing how important and indispensable you are; high house prices show that you have 'built up equity in your home' etc etc. It makes me sick!

HOLA4417

I've mentioned this before but all the ways in which we are poorer than we used to be have been very cleverly masked. Eg, the fact that both husband and wife have to go out to work is considered a triumph of feminism and 'equal opportunities'; long commutes by car are pushed by advertisers as a way of showing off your vehicle and enjoying your 'personal space,' credit cards and debt are seen as just another form of wealth; long working hours are seen as a way of showing how important and indispensable you are; high house prices show that you have 'built up equity in your home' etc etc. It makes me sick!

Yes, not very healthy at all. ;)

HOLA4418

+1

I think most of GenY have sussed this pretty well, it's the Xers who are confused.

HOLA4419

Maybe slightly off topic, but this set me thinking on the assertions I see that the younger generation have given up.

Do the people that write this, think that giving up is an option? They/us, haven't given up at all, but renting or even a room in a non-family house just is not an option, if we want to save, have interests, hobbies, and live for anything other than work->home->eat->sleep->repeat.

If I 'give up' sooner or later I get kicked out.

HOLA4420

Maybe slightly off topic, but this set me thinking on the assertions I see that the younger generation have given up.

Do the people that write this, think that giving up is an option? They/us, haven't given up at all, but renting or even a room in a non-family house just is not an option, if we want to save, have interests, hobbies, and live for anything other than work->home->eat->sleep->repeat.

If I 'give up' sooner or later I get kicked out.

Well spotted.

And they wonder why we're depressed.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Being born male seems to be have been my 'mistake'

I do feel sorry for you, I only just got a house (got on the ladder in 2001 when it was expensive but cheap compared to today).

The really depressing thing is that a lot of people think this is a good state of affairs. I am beginning to hope that my 6 year old son can emigrate to a country, where people want their children to be able to buy a home.