House Price Crash Forum
BlueRat

The Mid-Life Shame Of Moving Back In With Mum And Dad

The mid-life shame of moving back in with mum and dad: How failed relationships are forcing more and more middle aged women back into their childhood bedrooms

Clare has been living with her retired parents Paul, 65, and Theresa, 62, since 2007 — one of a growing band of middle-aged adults reluctantly forced to move back in with their parents because of spiralling house prices.

‘There have been mornings when I’ve actually wept with despair that I’m still stuck in this situation,’ admits Clare.

‘I get up every day feeling low and frustrated that my life has ended up like this. I’m crammed into my childhood bedroom which has hardly changed since I first left it 20 years ago. I look around and I think: “Is this all I’ve achieved? Have I been unlucky or made bad decisions along the way?” Just walking into this room plunges me into feelings of utter worthlessness and failure.’

Clare is far from alone. More than 250,000 people aged 35-44 in England and Wales are living with their parents, according to the Office for National Statistics. The situation is even worse for those aged 20-34 with 1,235,000 still living with mum and dad — up nearly 50 per cent from 2003.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2790282/the-mid-life-shame-moving-mum-dad-failed-relationships-forcing-middle-aged-women-childhood-bedrooms.html

So many people are screwed.

Edited by BlueRat

Nothing new here, this is stuff that was being discussed on housepricecrash many years ago. The only difference now is the stories are inter-generational. This piece talks about the generation below who are also living at home. Two generations now, screwed over by high house prices.

Nothing to be ashamed as this is the norm - look globally, generations live in the same house.

There's a quote in some apocalyptic film somewhere, where the human race is wiped out, and it goes like this;

Humans have been on the planet for 2 million years, and the dinosaurs had 150 million years - we've only been here a blink of an eye, this is the norm!

Don't worry about it.

Edited by 200p

Anyway I don't like the DM using emotive language like that - do they want us to do Hari Kari now that we have shamed our family? Pass us the rope.

It seems they made the 'mistake' of not having children or getting married. If they did, they'd get half their ex-partners house.

That doesn't make sense..... What has getting married got to do with anything, or having children.....you can only get half a house if you own half a house.

What about those who never leave home......what about all the parents that move into their children's homes for whatever reason......you are very fortunate indeed if you have a comfortable family home to move back to........no shame.

who says it is a shame? The sharks trying to sell more houses?

many cultures share homes across generations, only the property ponzi usurers in a rapacious consumer culture think that is a shame. They would, wouldn't they?

The man hatred theme continues. The headline paragraph states 'women' - when the article is about 'people'.

Blokes forced back home are clearly not worthy of the same sympathy as burds....

The man hatred theme continues. The headline paragraph states 'women' - when the article is about 'people'.

Blokes forced back home are clearly not worthy of the same sympathy as burds....

Well duh :);)

If you have no parents alive where do you go then?

You use the £2m inheritance* you received to buy a bedsit in Southend.

* The amount the Telegraph stated was typical last week

Doesn't this post belong under one of the longest "off topic" threads? It certainly seems relevant...

this is one of the most ON TOPIC posts. The supply of houses is dramatically linked to how many people live in the house.

Anyway I don't like the DM using emotive language like that - do they want us to do Hari Kari now that we have shamed our family? Pass us the rope.

Yes, let the boomers enjoy their big houses on their own. They worked hard for that privilege.

this is one of the most ON TOPIC posts. The supply of houses is dramatically linked to how many people live in the house.

I was of course referring to the dating thread, it is one way to get out of the parental house...

When I seperated from wife, lived at a mates for 2 months. My father by then being in his eighties.

I was married so had to give a mortgage free house to ex. But I am lucky enough to earn a good wage. I have heard of many guys In this situation who end up living with even very elderly parents.

‘With hindsight I should have tried harder to save or made some career changes that would have helped me earn a higher income. But I was young and felt I had all the time in the world.’

Got to love the Daily Wail's spin. House prices are not too high, it's all your fault for not getting on to the property ladder!

If you have no parents alive where do you go then?

1102588853631.jpeg

Got to love the Daily Wail's spin. House prices are not too high, it's all your fault for not getting on to the property ladder!

As has been oft repeated since the birth of hpc forum, when times get hard, the hard pressed , move in with mum, a friends sofa, or share rooms. The DM, as a landlord VI Corporate c*** Sucking shill are spreading propaganda to try & slow this inevitable fact

Nice try, but they lose major wail points for failing to mention the supposed value of the parents' homes.

Strange how demand for accomodation becomes very elastic when you have to pay for it with your own, hard earned money.

Maybe they should try that with social housing?

Nothing to be ashamed as this is the norm - look globally, generations live in the same house.

There's a quote in some apocalyptic film somewhere, where the human race is wiped out, and it goes like this;

Humans have been on the planet for 2 million years, and the dinosaurs had 150 million years - we've only been here a blink of an eye, this is the norm!

Don't worry about it.

I see your point, but the only 2 problems are that, firstly, these people aren't choosing to live with their parents and secondly, this situation wasn't normal just one generation ago.

Some people's parents are dead, especially if we're looking at 44 year olds moving back in with the rents.

Also, some people's parents are horrible people and moving back in is off the cards or divorced and downsized with no spare capacity. And then there's the issue of age related care? Houses being sold to pay for care.

Your standard of living being based on what if any assets your parents have sounds pretty backwards to me.

I see your point, but the only 2 problems are that, firstly, these people aren't choosing to live with their parents and secondly, this situation wasn't normal just one generation ago.

Some people's parents are dead, especially if we're looking at 44 year olds moving back in with the rents.

Also, some people's parents are horrible people and moving back in is off the cards or divorced and downsized with no spare capacity. And then there's the issue of age related care? Houses being sold to pay for care.

Your standard of living being based on what if any assets your parents have sounds pretty backwards to me.

Increasingly these parents will be boomers and who'd want to move back in with them?