House Price Crash Forum

Windows 10

sPinwheel

HOLA441

The cynic in me thinks this OS is going to be a pile of crap, since MS are giving it away for free.

They're trying to get rid of all the old versions of Windows, so they can force you to buy stuff through their 'App Stores' and get a 30% cut of all the money you spend on software.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443

How is it free now and forever if it is only up until July 2016? Does forever end in July 2016?

You have to install it before then. After that, they'll support it forever (i.e. until they change the terms and conditions).

What I want to know is, if it sucks as bad as it appears to, can you then upgrade back to Windows 7, or will they refuse to let you download updates since you previously downgraded to Windows 10?

HOLA444

If worse comes to worse, you can pick up Windows XP full install for £15! Or learn how to use Lubuntu - I have a USB stick full install for when there is a TEOTWAWKI-global internet apolcapyse. So at least then I can still print stuff off from open office in the new world.

HOLA445

If worse comes to worse, you can pick up Windows XP full install for £15! Or learn how to use Lubuntu - I have a USB stick full install for when there is a TEOTWAWKI-global internet apolcapyse. So at least then I can still print stuff off from open office in the new world.

Oh, we use Linux for most things, but we have a Windows 7 machine for games and logging into customer sites if I have to do some maintenance from home.

HOLA446

Oh, we use Linux for most things, but we have a Windows 7 machine for games and logging into customer sites if I have to do some maintenance from home.

Games are starting to have a non-Windows presence (mostly Mac though), if it becomes pretty universal then the way Windows is going I won't be sad to ditch it. I was never much of a Windows fan in the first place. At the current rate of "improvement" I may have to stoop to a console...

HOLA447

How is it free now and forever if it is only up until July 2016? Does forever end in July 2016?

I mean once you get it, they don't take it away or make you pay later. If you don't upgrade by the cut off date then it becomes a paid upgrade. They really just want to get everyone they can onto Windows 10.

HOLA448

The fact that they are giving it away makes me suspicious. Probably full of NSA/GCHQ backdoors and kill switches for when they need to shut down our access to the internet in times of 'national emergency', for our own safety of course. But I accept that maybe I'm just paranoid.

HOLA449

The fact that they are giving it away makes me suspicious. Probably full of NSA/GCHQ backdoors and kill switches for when they need to shut down our access to the internet in times of 'national emergency', for our own safety of course. But I accept that maybe I'm just paranoid.

Ah, yes. Of course. :)

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

It is free because Apple lets you update OSX for free. I have a 4K monitor so I am looking forward to the better font scaling and DX12.

HOLA4412

It is free because Apple lets you update OSX for free. I have a 4K monitor so I am looking forward to the better font scaling and DX12.

Aha! I applaud the sentiment, as long as it is actually an improvement rather than some bloated installment in the ridiculous OS arms race. I'd probably still be using XP if it were supported with patches and updates.

My laptop is getting quite slow and I'm sure it's OS related - does anyone know, will this give the same performance boost as a fresh install, or does it piggy back on what's already installed?

HOLA4413

Aha! I applaud the sentiment, as long as it is actually an improvement rather than some bloated installment in the ridiculous OS arms race. I'd probably still be using XP if it were supported with patches and updates.

My laptop is getting quite slow and I'm sure it's OS related - does anyone know, will this give the same performance boost as a fresh install, or does it piggy back on what's already installed?

A lot of their focus has been on getting Windows to run on low powered devices like phones and tablets so it should be an improvement. They've abandoned the cut down Windows RT and Windows Phone and will just have one operating system.

HOLA4414

My Windows 10 has arrived. It downloaded a few days ago and so far I am impressed. It has created a little icon on my taskbar at the right of the screen. It just sits there and does nothing. So far I am pretty impressed by it. Hopefully they will patch it soon and allow the icon to be in different colours.

:huh:

HOLA4415

Ditto. If it ain't broken don't fix it. Of course XP is broken but all the later versions seem to do is break even more (at least on the surface, there are under the bonnet improvements).

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

......most so called upgrades that were sold as a better deal have turned out to be a poorer deal once the initial give away contract finishes, give you 1p to take away 2p.......all the good deals I still have are no longer available to new customers....... ;)

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Most people only have those recovery disc thingys that came with the machine though, rather than full OS install discs... Anyway, to heck with it, I'm all signed up for 10, not so much in love with 7 that I won't give it a go, and I always have some XP discs to fall back on in an emergency!

HOLA4421

It has created a little icon on my taskbar at the right of the screen. It just sits there and does nothing. So far I am pretty impressed by it. Hopefully they will patch it soon and allow the icon to be in different colours.

Icons in different colours confuse users. Everything should be light grey on white, like the 'mobile-friendly' Internet, because randomly stabbing at the screen is much easier for users to understand.

Archived