House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sPinwheel

Windows 10

They decided to skip it because it's so much of a change from 8. LOL.

I'll definitely be waiting for reviews before 'upgrading'. Less emphasis on touch is good but the 'mobile-first, cloud-first' strategy makes me feel like using the 'F*** off Microsoft' strategy.

My 'keep using XP' strategy was working until this year when I persuaded to put 7 on. Now it won't sleep, only hibernate, and normal graphics/desktop type stuff seem jerky and slow.

Oh and it took 3 days of updating when I put it on my parents laptop.

Haven't even thought of 8 cos apparently it's shite.

I guess an attempt to put the problems of Windows 8 as far behind them as possible.

Sinofsky (the 'brains' behind windows 8 UI and Office ribbon) has a lot to answer for.

I find Win 8.1 (the emergency patch to fix the most egregious UI issues) quite good but the option of a start menu, modern apps in windows on the desktop and universal apps will be most welcome.

My 'keep using XP' strategy was working until this year when I persuaded to put 7 on. Now it won't sleep, only hibernate, and normal graphics/desktop type stuff seem jerky and slow.

You can turn all the "pretty sh1t" off and get back the performance!

The X in OS X is for 10, this is them trying to catch up.

Next year they will bring out Windows 11 and Apple will be finished!

We all wanted to go up to 11!

Even 7 requires a bit of third party patching to recover some basic lost usability. The two that spring to mind are a replacement for the dreadful search facility (sure it's possible to make it work sensibly but it's hardly obvious how) and to replace the third rate start menu with something more akin to the XP one.

Every version of Windows since XP has been a backward step as far as the user experience goes, although they can be bodged into shape.

We all wanted to go up to 11!

:lol::lol::lol:

This is with all the fluff turned off!

Regarding performance of Windows 7, did you check that the mouse "scheme" is set to none?

Start | Control Panel | Mouse | Pointers tab then check that the scheme is set to "(none)"

They dropped going Windows 8 to 8.1 or 8.2 and went to 10 due to the perceived brand damage caused by 8. Windows 8 was written with the idea we would all abandon keyboards and use touch screens. They also removed all the keyboard short cuts from M$ Office for the same reason.

See http://prettydarkhorse.hubpages.com/hub/Lucky-and-Unlucky-Numbers-in-Chinese-Culture 9 is too much change and 10 is rebirth.

that would be a nice concept.

something like "10 minute boot" would be good too.

having to wait nearly an hour loading a fresh copy of windows is a proper pain in the @rse

I think they got too fancy.

win 7 is a pretty good system, but my old machine on XP 64 bit still kicks it.

Never used Vista or Windows 8. Only reason I moved to windows 7 from XP was though happening to buy computers that had it installed.

I remember being a a software developers conference a few years back when they were just gearing up for windows 8 and were trying to get developer buy-in, and I thought it looked horrific at the time; knew it would be a disaster.

The X in OS X is for 10, this is them trying to catch up.

Next year they will bring out Windows 11 and Apple will be finished!

But wait - Apple 11, remember?

1977apple2.jpg

with every alternate system being pants, Windows 9 was set to be the goody.

I guess, following the tradition, they know that 10 is going to be pants.....again....

Windows 8.1 rev 1 is very useable.

with every alternate system being pants, Windows 9 was set to be the goody.

I guess, following the tradition, they know that 10 is going to be pants.....again....

Windows 8.1 rev 1 is very useable.

This was my thought too, that they are telling us it's going to be crap.

Erm - well 7 is very good IMHO - I run demanding stuff like lightroom. Important thought to have a good (but not necessarily gaming) video card, maybe £50-60 mark (or CPU with fast integrates GPU) and keep the driver up to date. And have at least 8GB RAM if not the 16GB that 7 really, really likes.

3 days of updating sounds like a case for going to fibre and/or fast disk(s).

Will look at 8 when next fix release comes along. NEVER take 1st cut of any windows version and if you have Vista replace it now for the sake of your sanity.

Windows 8 is brilliant IMO, but only if you have the right hardware.

It's also brilliantly integrated across devices, a seamless transition across mobile, PC and tablet.

The problem for Microsoft is that where it does really well, i.e. phone and tablet people are on Apple or Android devices.

One person saying 7 is good, another saying 8 is good, weridos.

edit because of the above post - Classic Shell might make it tolerable, it makes 7 tolerable, but those sorts of fixes are mostly about shoving it back to how it was in XP before they started breaking things, hardly a ringing endorsement.

One person saying 7 is good, another saying 8 is good, weridos.

edit because of the above post - Classic Shell might make it tolerable, it makes 7 tolerable, but those sorts of fixes are mostly about shoving it back to how it was in XP before they started breaking things, hardly a ringing endorsement.

XP is very hard to revert back to after the latest W8. My main office is on XP and it clunks, takes 2 mins to even start and finding programs you dont use much is quite hard.

In 8, you type in a few key words and the half forgotten are displayed in a list.

I do however avoid IE in both versions.

XP is very hard to revert back to after the latest W8. My main office is on XP and it clunks, takes 2 mins to even start and finding programs you dont use much is quite hard.

In 8, you type in a few key words and the half forgotten are displayed in a list.

I do however avoid IE in both versions.

Windows 8.1 with Classic Shell gives you the best of both worlds.