House Price Crash Forum

Scotland's In A Strange, Feverish State.

Bossybabe

HOLA441
  • Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

But there is now going to be huge constitutional change affecting everyone. Either an unworkable English parliament or regional assemblies. Either way, it looks like the government will be absorbed in huge political wrangling over the next few years.

I think the campaign has revealed - and added to - a lot of resentment on both sides of the Scottish border.

I don't think it has done the UK any good.

HOLA443
HOLA444

They'll let you back in then?

Whichever way the vote went, it shows a lot of people want more local self-determination. And not just in Scotland.

Where's Frank of Kernow?

I've been partaking in my usual night time activity of dredging and widening the Tamar.

Well done the Scots (see, said it right that time); the intelligent quiet majority came out when it really mattered leaving a lot of tattooed hungover morons to weep on their way to the labour exchange to sign on.

HOLA445

I think the campaign has revealed - and added to - a lot of resentment on both sides of the Scottish border.

I don't think it has done the UK any good.

I totally agree. I find myself really annoyed at Scottish politicans this morning saying that a new constitutional settlement must be dleivered by next May - the "vows" must be fulfilled!

Why? Nobody I know gave Camoron, Smegg or Millipede the authorityto make a "vow," and that sort of thing hasn't constrained Clegg in the past.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

I think Alistair Darling summed it up in his short speech this morning.....but what is said and what actually happens are two different things......but I would be more inclined to trust him rather than a slippery fish. ;)

He's one of the few that claim out of the Blair administration with credit, he is a rare politician that I would trust.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

It would be interesting to have a split of the vote by housing tenure.

Interesting? no obvious.....when anyone feels they are at the bottom and nobody is listening any change is a good change.......those that are more happy with their lot and don't want to lose what they have already got generally like things to stay the same way. ;)

Edit to say......that is why the young depending on their background and self confidence are very often in a different camp to the older well stetted and established.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

A serious post, and not a single exclamation mark....

I think someone has hijacked MrPin's account.

Looky here mon!

It wasn't a resounding "YES", was it? Nearly half the people wanted to split because they are so peed off with current Foreign politicians! I am not sure what the logistics would have been, if the YES voters were the majority. Either way, it was a vote of displeasure! I am no longer resident in Scotland, but I can see that "National news articles" about the Circle Line signalling being out, are of no interest if you live in Montrose.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

I'm just back from a two week cruise around the med. The passengers were about 90% English people over the age of 60. It was a very hostile atmosphere to be in. A lot of the entertainers encouraged the croud to voice their displeasure at the Scots getting a chance to vote for independence. They lapped it up, booing us. Kind of spoiled the holiday a bit for me.

I am pretty disappointed that it was a No vote but the fact that 45% voted Yes is reassuring. The majority of older people seem to have voted no where as younger voters tended to vote Yes which isnt surprising as the baby boomers and up seem to love screwing over the young.

The ray of hope is that when these older voters die off and the young see that the Westminster promises were in fact lies, there is very likely to be demand for another referendum. The demographics by then should hopefully be more favourable to the Yes camp.

Independence is coming it is only a matter of time. Nearly half of Scotland want it and we only have to win once.

HOLA4423

Independence is coming it is only a matter of time. Nearly half of Scotland want it and we only have to win once.

So if you keep holding referendums until you get independence, you'll not hold any referendums on wanting to rejoin the UK? That doesn't sound very democratic - just how the EU works. Keep holding referendums until you get the answer you want, then stop.

HOLA4424

Dream on.

You lost and that's the best chance gone; declining oil revenues will mean everyone sees through the SNP's fantasy economics.

Fortunately for the future of Scotland's young people the majority voted with their heads and not their hearts.

HOLA4425

The 16-24 age group voted 51% Yes.

The real voting split was between rich and poor, and the poor lost.

So the next vote (probably in 20 years time) will only have a different result if the country becomes even more unequal - both tories and labour seem to be working on that so time will tell.

Archived