House Price Crash Forum

Scotland's In A Strange, Feverish State.

Bossybabe

HOLA441

If Scotland did vote yes and their economy went to hell, how would emigration to England be handled? Would they be smuggling themselves across the border and working as 'illegals' would there be a limit on Scottish emigrants? would they have to perform those nationality tests to prove they can speak the language and have some 'understanding of the English culture' ?

If not in the EU then it could get messy

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

If Scotland did vote yes and their economy went to hell, how would emigration to England be handled? Would they be smuggling themselves across the border and working as 'illegals' would there be a limit on Scottish emigrants? would they have to perform those nationality tests to prove they can speak the language and have some 'understanding of the English culture' ?

They would all get green cards and go to America.

HOLA443

If not in the EU then it could get messy

Could Scotland not have the same relationship with the rUK and the EU as Norway currently has with Sweden and the EU?

Edit: BTW, I'd prefer Scotland to remain part of the UK, but I don't see the reason for predictions of such gloom and doom should they decide to leave. In many ways Scotland resembles Norway, and the Norwegians haven't done so badly for themselves.

HOLA444

Could Scotland not have the same relationship with the rUK and the EU as Norway currently has with Sweden and the EU?

Edit: BTW, I'd prefer Scotland to remain part of the UK, but I don't see the reason for predictions of such gloom and doom should they decide to leave. In many ways Scotland resembles Norway, and the Norwegians haven't done so badly for themselves.

Norway did really badly in the years after its independence from Sweden. I have read that a couple of generations lived in dire circumstances... and then WW2 came and the Nazis invaded...

It was only oil in the 1970s that changed Norway - prior to that it was mainly fish and whaling... and hydro electric power but they mainly hydro electric powered themselves.

Bizarrely, I did Norway for O Level Geography. If you ever wish to know anything about the High Saeta I am your man.

HOLA445

Norway did really badly in the years after its independence from Sweden. I have read that a couple of generations lived in dire circumstances... and then WW2 came and the Nazis invaded...

It was only oil in the 1970s that changed Norway - prior to that it was mainly fish and whaling... and hydro electric power but they mainly hydro electric powered themselves.

Bizarrely, I did Norway for O Level Geography. If you ever wish to know anything about the High Saeta I am your man.

Given that an independent Scotland would have a population and oil reserves (albeit now somewhat depleted) similar to Norway's, you would then surely expect Scotland to quickly benefit in a similar way from the remaining oil, all other things being equal, wouldn't you?

HOLA446

Given that an independent Scotland would have a population and oil reserves (albeit now somewhat depleted) similar to Norway's, you would then surely expect Scotland to quickly benefit in a similar way from the remaining oil, all other things being equal, wouldn't you?

I don't think that is true though is it? I don't think that the UK oil reserves are currently anywhere near the size of Norways?

I am happy to be corrected but I think that Norway has much large fields and potentially much more oil.

HOLA447

I don't think that is true though is it? I don't think that the UK oil reserves are currently anywhere near the size of Norways?

I am happy to be corrected but I think that Norway has much large fields and potentially much more oil.

According this list, UK and Norwegian proven oil reserves are currently about the same.

Edit: I believe about 90% of the UK's oil reserves would become Scottish in the event of independence, but I stand to be corrected on that.

HOLA448

According this list, UK and Norwegian proven oil reserves are currently about the same.

Edit: I believe about 90% of the UK's oil reserves would become Scottish in the event of independence, but I stand to be corrected on that.

Canada looks like the place to move to. Can we have a vote to join Canada - no need to allow the Canadians a vote.

HOLA449

Were I eligible to vote in the referendum I'd keep absolutely quiet about my intentions.

I think were I Scottish I'd be wearing a yes badge and waving the flag, those that stay quiet are as likely to get a kicking as those who say no.

When I got into the polling booth things would be different.

I suspect that the polls are going to be a long way off.

HOLA4410

Is this just your gut feeling or has anyone eligible to vote told you this? Must say I have wondered the same - should think some of the Yes army could get a bit nasty if it goes against them. I have read of the word 'traitor' being used.

I work with a number of Scots and they think this factor is being overlooked by the pollsters etc...

HOLA4411

Is this just your gut feeling or has anyone eligible to vote told you this? Must say I have wondered the same - should think some of the Yes army could get a bit nasty if it goes against them. I have read of the word 'traitor' being used.

Here in Wales the Welsh Nats get very vicious - very organised on things like twitter and posting comments on any language related article online. If you even dare question the language you get a load of abuse hurled at your from numerous people.

People fear cars being damaged or bricks through windows so you end up with a tiny minority intimidating and controlling the majority.

Back in the 70s they used to organise protests outside the BBC in Wales - which they now have taken over IMPO - or the Welsh Office and through flower bombs or paint at people who did not agree with them. Some TV News crews, who used to cover such protests, said that give it enough time and we will all be working for and in fear of them oneday - 30 years later we are.

HOLA4412

Here in Wales the Welsh Nats get very vicious - very organised on things like twitter and posting comments on any language related article online. If you even dare question the language you get a load of abuse hurled at your from numerous people.

People fear cars being damaged or bricks through windows so you end up with a tiny minority intimidating and controlling the majority.

Back in the 70s they used to organise protests outside the BBC in Wales - which they now have taken over IMPO - or the Welsh Office and through flower bombs or paint at people who did not agree with them. Some TV News crews, who used to cover such protests, said that give it enough time and we will all be working for and in fear of them oneday - 30 years later we are.

The Cornish An Gof movement tried to emulate this dubious success back in the 70s. It got as far as one petrol bomb thrown but missing. There are dangerous people everywhere.

The problem is that you have people like me (sorry) who like that these languages are coming back and do see legislation as the way to stop them dying. Though I have zero truck with any of these people who I regard as out-and-out nutters.

HOLA4413

The problem is that you have people like me (sorry) who like that these languages are coming back and do see legislation as the way to stop them dying. Though I have zero truck with any of these people who I regard as out-and-out nutters.

Can I ask why, what purpose do you think they serve?

HOLA4414

The language keeps alive the culture and the way of thinking of a long period of our history and pre-history. Place names make sense, you can read old texts in the original language and feel part of it, sing songs in the original. Keep alive a tradition worth keeping alive.

Yes we could all speak English as that would be more efficient but I like that the British Isles has several different cultures within it and I don't want to see them all just coalesce into one identical mass.

Edit: that doesn't mean that I support independence or devolution for Cornwall, Ulster, Scotland, Wales or England. It's just bringing in another tier of politicians wasting money and you can encourage cultural differences through the work of bodies like the Welsh Office anyway.

HOLA4415

At what level do you mean "purpose"? From a purely practical point of view none at all, but those aren't the things that make life interesting and worth living (a point all too often lost on the promoters of the latest piece of lifeless, ugly dreck).

HOLA4416

I think Sweden was a bit of a miserable place itself, until they invented ABBA. Slightly off topic, but I've always been interested in all the formerly provincial backwaters that since WW2 have brcome the most succesful economic regions e.g. Scandinavia, the Netherlands, Bavaria, while many of the traditionalised industrial powerhouses have faltered. It seems to be easier to go from agriculture to high tech, than from metal bashing to high tech.

HOLA4417

At what level do you mean "purpose"? From a purely practical point of view none at all, but those aren't the things that make life interesting and worth living (a point all too often lost on the promoters of the latest piece of lifeless, ugly dreck).

It was a genuine question, which Fank Hovis gave a reasonable reply too.

Not sure I would agree, but a perfectly valid opinion.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

When will the result be known/announced?

Is it going to be just like usual election time TV broadcasts with the results trickling in and the final result becoming definitively known in the wee hours of Friday morning,

or....is there some formal mechanism in place dictating that the official result will be kept under wraps until ALL votes are properly counted, etc - and then announced at some day/time a few days later?

You'll wake up on Friday morning to find you're no longer a part of Scotland. :)

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

Thank God you've come forward. When Norwegian geology crops up on here in future, we can rest easy...

To be honest, I am pretty sure that I have mentioned it before.

I went decades wondering when my knowledge of Norweigan hydro-electric power and the seasonal movement of lowland to highland cattle would come in handy.

I also know a great deal about the annual rainfall of Bergen.

HOLA4424

I think Sweden was a bit of a miserable place itself, until they invented ABBA. Slightly off topic, but I've always been interested in all the formerly provincial backwaters that since WW2 have brcome the most succesful economic regions e.g. Scandinavia, the Netherlands, Bavaria, while many of the traditionalised industrial powerhouses have faltered. It seems to be easier to go from agriculture to high tech, than from metal bashing to high tech.

There used to be an early ABBA video up on Youtube that looked like it was shot in the Swedish equivalent of a church hall - with a bunch of adult nad children watching the group singing.

The costumes worn in that video by the two ABBA girls were far shorter than anything that I can recall seeing on the BBC.

I think Sweden benefitted from an influx of German 'talent' in 1945.

HOLA4425

Archived