House Price Crash Forum

Greatest Composers Of Popular Music

crashmonitor

HOLA441

Considering the enormous economy surrounding popular music I am surprised there isn't some kind of attempt to have a list of the top composers. Tbh I think they would mostly be either Brits or US. Whether you like their music or not, record sales can't lie. My top 10 would be.......don't know what happened to the rest of the world, perhaps its Anglo Saxon bias......

1. Burt Bacharach

2. Paul Simon

3. John Lennon

4. Andrew Lloyd Webber

5. Paul McCartney

6. Elton John

7. Bob Dylan

8 Bjon Ulvaeus and Benny Andersson (Abba)

9. Freddy Mercury

10. Brian Wilson (Beach Boys)

No chance of any new kids entering that list...all the melody combinations have been all but exhausted period. The boomers stole all the uninvented tunes.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

There have been so many good pop songs!

Clearly there have been many more bad ones!

What about the Kinks, Beach Boys, and Alice Cooper?

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

Aye, and where are Glitter, Townsend, King and Harris...?

Hopefully the answer to that question is 'precisely where their GPS ankle-braclets say they are'...

XYY

I don't think Mr Townsend was charged with anything! No libel here please! However Ian Watkins of the Lostprophets, is certainly behind bars!

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

I don't think Mr Townsend was charged with anything! No libel here please! However Ian Watkins of the Lostprophets, is certainly behind bars!

Aye, fair enough Mr Townsend sir - my remarks were facetious in nature, and not in any way meant to offend.

Nor am I trying to suggest that you fiddled with any bairns, when in fact, all that you did was conduct a little research by downloading a few suggestive pictures and paying for them via your credit-card. All perfectly harmless stuff that like...

But you should ignore that little tale-teller Pinny, Mr Townsend sir, for I know for a fact he's had swimming lessons off both Len Fairclough AND Michael Barrymore...

;)

XYY

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Best are partnerships...

Bacharach & David

Goffin & King

Lennon & McCartney

Gifford & Tilbrook

Chas & Dave

Chas & Dave from a golden era when an entire song could be based on chauvinism before the Spice Girls came along and ruined everything.

now I dont mind avin a chat,

but you have to keep givin it that

HOLA4420

I rather threw the opening post together in a couple of minutes on the hoof and have to concede that I should have included Cat Stevens (quite high up to) and may be the brothers Gibb (near the bottom) because they wrote for many other artists.

Surprising how successful Brits were at composing tunes from about 1965-1985. I assume the fact this has all but stopped is a case of the melody combinations being exhausted. Also how little came from Europe otherwise, Abba excepted.

I have tried to be objective and not gone for the artists/ writers I like but who have had unibersal appeal.

I did once start a thread that there were no female composers of music of note but many great novelists. There is no reason why women would have been at a disadvantage in popular music as they were in the days of classical music...Brahms, Beethoven and Bach etc.

Dolly Parton was possibly a contender.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

There are so many great songs but how many songwriters have written more than one genuinely great songs?

Bee Gees

Elton John

The Beatles

ABBA

Was please to see someone else recognise Andrew Lloyd-Webber - some great songs

I actually really like Toto

Demond Child wrote all the big Bon Jovi songs

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

There are so many great songs but how many songwriters have written more than one genuinely great songs?

Bee Gees

Elton John

The Beatles

ABBA

Was please to see someone else recognise Andrew Lloyd-Webber - some great songs

I actually really like Toto

Demond Child wrote all the big Bon Jovi songs

Well those first five were all in my top 10....OP....well six because I split Lennon and McCartney owing to solo careers after. edit. not quite I later conceded I should have included the brothers Gibb.

HOLA4425

I have to say Cat Stevens may be an example of brilliant arrangements and vocals transcending ordinary melodies. Whether that makes him a composer or just the best performer ever. I heard yesterday on the Mark Kermode BBC movie slot that the film Harold and Maude from circa 1973 has been re-released on DVD which he brilliantly scored.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eTY2VkUs0A&safe=active

Archived