House Price Crash Forum

Greatest Composers Of Popular Music

crashmonitor

HOLA441

I have to say Cat Stevens may be an example of brilliant arrangements and vocals transcending ordinary melodies. Whether that makes him a composer or just the best performer ever.

i think what gives the lie to that is the number of times his songs have covered by other acts (ditto bob dylan).

eg, "Here Comes My Baby" or this:

anybody mentioned Mr. Bowie yet? I just learned this on the uke:

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

i think what gives the lie to that is the number of times his songs have covered by other acts (ditto bob dylan).

eg, "Here Comes My Baby" or this:

anybody mentioned Mr. Bowie yet? I just learned this on the uke:

Yep well I got Dylan in my top ten...amazing how many credits he gets on songs you don't associate him with. Meanwhile for me Bowie is good, but in with a second division of greats like Collins, Sting, Barlow, Bono, de Burgh, Rea.....incredible how many song writers the UK and Ireland have produced.

HOLA443
HOLA444

Surprising how successful Brits were at composing tunes from about 1965-1985. I assume the fact this has all but stopped is a case of the melody combinations being exhausted. Also how little came from Europe otherwise, Abba excepted.

Europe, fragmented market due to language however there is My Way, Oh what a night, Windmills of my mind and Seasons in the Sun to name a few tunes I can think of from that period that had English language versions and that were moderately successful.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

I think Roy Wood - 'The Move,' Wizzard' and solo should get a mention.

All their songs were so well arranged! So British too!

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Van Morrison.

One of my exe's favorites! I used to play "Brown Eyed Girl" to her on the guitar! Brown eyes are beautiful in a nice face! What a pity she didn't have one! :blink:

HOLA4416

A few gallic examples to even up the balance

Serge Gainbourg, a songwriting genius and a very naughty boy

Pascal Obispo, a total genius

Jean Jacques Goldman, songwriting tour de force

Indochine/Sarkis

Telefon/Jean Lous-Aubert

http://youtu.be/a-Aw1jEYI4w

Noir Desire/Bertrand Cantat

Francis Cabrel

With a powerful debut album and 170 million views on YT for Papaoutais maybe Stromai will turn into the french songwriting maestro for the 2010s

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

What about Stock, Aitken and Waterman? My guess is most people have never heard of the greatest pop composers.

I had the pleasure of the company of someone recently who is arguably SAW's greatest fan.

SAW: SS Paparazzi

Kylie: Better the Devil You Know

Just outstanding. The latter one is the best pop song ever made.

Just IMHO.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Women are seriously under-represented so far, how about

Bjork

Fiona Apple

Kate Bush

Patti Smith

PJ Harvey

Indeed but surely the likes of Lennon, Bacharach, Simon, Dylan, Gibb, John, Lloyd Webber are on another level as far as their prolific output and quality of melodies. We can name a lot of composers but I was basing my list on the greatest composers.

Somebody mentioned Clapton and indeed he is worth a mention...again coming into that Sting, Collins, Bowie list of second tier greats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwprrAEL9-E&safe=active

Archived