House Price Crash Forum

Socks And Sandals

Frank Hovis

HOLA441

This is apparently one of the great fashion mistakes, but I can't see it myself. I wouldn't wear them out because it's a fast track to getting your socks dirty, but on returning from work on a summer's day I want out of my hot office shoes and into sandals. If it's very warm I will lose the socks first but not otherwise.

There's a story in the Mail today about some celeb (not that I've heard of them, but that doesn't prevent them being a celeb) wearing them:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2590541/Kris-Smith-wears-socks-sandals-catches-Angelina-Jolies-personal-trainer.html

And I've seen several stories bemoaning Steven Tyler (lead singer of Aerosmith and all round cool dude) for wearing them. I would often get from an ex "Did you see that?" after we'd passed a man wearing socks and sandals and usually I wouldn't have as it doesn't look odd or unusual to me.

From the dedicated site of sandals and socks I bring you the unelected leader of the movement to make socks and sandals an unremarkable choice of footwear combination:

vic%20newquay.jpg

http://www.sandalandsoxer.co.uk/home.htm

HOLA442
HOLA443

It's one of those things that is perfectly fine, but somewhere someone said it was wrong.It's a helluva lot more comfortable walking in socks in sandals than without.

+1

I wear them around the house all the time. I'd wear them outside too, were it not for the scorn of the fashion police.

HOLA444
HOLA445

At the extreme is the local radio presenter who puts his flip flops (the traditional ones with the peg between the big toe and the next) on over his socks.

He admits that it is a torturous thing to just to pop into the garden but he's always done it.

I give this one a thumbs down on the grounds of practicality.

25141-socks_sandals_opinion.jpg

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

Sandals give me blisters.

Trainer socks and a pair of trainers you can slip off without untying laces are the way of the future! (Or possibly the past, given my take-up on all matters fashion!)

HOLA449

I only get a couple of hundred yards in sandals without socks, before the blisters start to come. Fashion statements be damned,

that's why the Lib Dems failed with the socks and sandals brigade - too many blisters, too few Focus leaflets delivered.

HOLA4410

It's one of those things that is perfectly fine, but somewhere someone said it was wrong.It's a helluva lot more comfortable walking in socks in sandals than without.

Not if you buy decent-quality sandals.

I have some expensive surfie-brand type sandals that are so comfortable, waterproof, washable, non-smelly and all-round brilliant that I never intend to buy another brand.

I hunted through about 20 shops to find them though and paid 35 Euros in a cheap country (so I expect they'd be more in the UK) - most sandals are rubbish.

HOLA4411

At the extreme is the local radio presenter who puts his flip flops (the traditional ones with the peg between the big toe and the next) on over his socks.

He admits that it is a torturous thing to just to pop into the garden but he's always done it.

25141-socks_sandals_opinion.jpg

Yup. Right on your wavelength. Flip-flops are ridiculously impractical with socks. Decent strap-on sandals are practical, cool (as in temperature) and odourless. They can be worn without socks, but are more comfortable with them. God knows why they are such a fashion faux-pas in the UK; they're ubiquitous in Germany. Oh, maybe that's why.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

I stopped wearing sandals when I was 12 or so.

I thought sandals are only for children? :unsure:

I did too, but that's just environmental conditioning and social pressure. There's no logical reason for adults not to wear sandals in appropriate weather. My eyes were opened when I lived in Germany and acquired a German girlfriend. She thought it ridiculous (and a little unhygienic) for a man to wear shoes on hot summer days.

HOLA4414

He needs to kit himself out with a few pairs of tabi...

2ze09c8.jpg

PS In case anyone reading this is asking themself the same question I just asked myself 'htf did he know about those?', jandals (Japanese sandals) became a semi-obligatory part of the New Zealand national dress after someone spotted a visiting Japanese swimming team was wearing such excellent footwear and copied it. Legend has it that the Japanese were too polite to mention that jandals were what they put on when they went to the toilet.

You need to know all this stuff before the Kiwis will give you a visa.

HOLA4415
She thought it ridiculous (and a little unhygienic) for a man to wear shoes on hot summer days.

She quite right if by shoes she means trainers (which everyone seems to wear these days north of the alps), but there are enough close-toed men's shoes available that keep your feet cool even in hot summer days.

Go to Rome in the summer for some inspiration, nobody wears sandals there except children and tourists, despite the temperatures.

HOLA4416

He needs to kit himself out with a few pairs of tabi...

2ze09c8.jpg

PS In case anyone reading this is asking themself the same question I just asked myself 'htf did he know about those?', jandals (Japanese sandals) became a semi-obligatory part of the New Zealand national dress after someone spotted a visiting Japanese swimming team was wearing such excellent footwear and copied it. Legend has it that the Japanese were too polite to mention that jandals were what they put on when they went to the toilet.

You need to know all this stuff before the Kiwis will give you a visa.

Or a bit easier... Nike made (still make?) a model called the Rift which has a split toe. As you say it is based on a really common style of footwear from Japan that manual workers all seem to wear. Really easy and cheap to get Rift compatible socks in the UK.

$T2eC16h,!zEE9s3!Z))RBR)(c!7u4g~~60_35.JPG

$T2eC16R,!)IFIeD4R52-BSZpP2U3Iw~~60_35.JPG

worker8.jpg

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Nothing wrong with socks and sandals, it's all a question of attitude...

teletext004.jpg

Seriously though, it's not something I could ever countenance. I don't really get it: If you're wearing sandals then presumably it's warm enough that you're not going to risk frostbite by revealing your feet?

Is it a sartorial statement? As in "I know I look a bit daft, but I don't care, that's how self-confident I am"?

Or is it a pragmatic compromise for those with really stinky feet? The lesser of two evils?

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Seriously though, it's not something I could ever countenance. I don't really get it: If you're wearing sandals then presumably it's warm enough that you're not going to risk frostbite by revealing your feet?

Is it a sartorial statement? As in "I know I look a bit daft, but I don't care, that's how self-confident I am"?

Or is it a pragmatic compromise for those with really stinky feet? The lesser of two evils?

It's just comfort. The sandals let the air circulate around your feet, and the socks stop the sandals rubbing against your feet, just as with shoes. They also allow you to wear sandals at a lower temperature than would otherwise be comfortable.

Wearing white socks with them is a bit daft though.

HOLA4423

It's just comfort. The sandals let the air circulate around your feet, and the socks stop the sandals rubbing against your feet, just as with shoes. They also allow you to wear sandals at a lower temperature than would otherwise be comfortable.

Wearing white socks with them is a bit daft though.

Fair enough if it makes you comfortable....

I've personally never had sandals rub enough to cause me discomfort (beyond that typical 'new shoe' effect that usually lasts for a day or two until the skin toughens up) so can't see why this would require socks as an ongoing solution? And with regards to your second point, if the weather is too cool for sandals then why not put a feckin pair of shoes on instead!?

;)

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Archived