HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

Sorry, BB.

Was he into music? Imagine the possibilities.

I love it when the granddaughter (?) starts giggling at the old man's enjoyment.

Dad, though he couldn't sing to save his life, loved any good music from Glenn Miller to Queen! I can just see his face as he listened. :)

HOLA449

Music for many people is such a powerful medium, once ingrained, never forgotten....but it is not only the music it is the words that relate to that music.....words that can so often be forgotten will never be when associated with an uplifting tune that is recalled......music is like a drug, listening to certain tunes can change whole feelings completely...both as a high as well as a low.

Hymns for example that children learned in school at a young age will be in their head for a lifetime. ;)

HOLA4410

Hymns for example that children learned in school at a young age will be in their head for a lifetime. ;)

Ah yes, the filthy lyrics improvised in the gallery.

Maybe we should include in our living wills a list of our favourite music when the sap was rising. I haven't followed through on the analysis of this phenomenon, but seems the significant stuff is music associated with our most intense feelings in adolescence.

HOLA4411

Lovely piece of film - heart-warming

If your soul is stirred by music & you have 5 mins or so to spare, have a listen to this. The realest & most beautiful description of what music means to some that I have ever heard. The music is good too..

"Sometimes when you enter into a piece of music it often awakes feelings in you that you had neglected, forgotten or weren't aware of at all. Music is somehow a force that can go deeper than our daily identity and open up another kind of world within in us"

HOLA4412

Thanks OP for the link, very moving! There's hope for me then...there's nothing I fear more than losing my already tenuous grip on reality, but when I think about it all I would feel like dying without is my music. So as long as I prepare an MP3 player full of my favourite stuff I could last for years in a state of happy enough bemusement!

Excellent call winkie- I've barely been in a church since my voice broke aged 13 and I left the local church choir. My parents were atheists when they enrolled me, and I'm an atheist now, but the 5 years I spent singing beautiful music have always stayed with me. I want a humanist funeral for myself but I'll have Dear Lord And Father Of Mankind played anyway, if only for the final verse:

Breathe through the heats of our desire

Thy coolness and Thy balm;

Let sense be dumb, let flesh retire;

Speak through the earthquake, wind, and fire,

O still, small voice of calm., O still, small voice of calm.

But then when everyone's (hopefully) in tears they'll walk out to this:

...unless of course someone comes up with an even more epic piss take of Angels by Robbie Williams before I kark it :rolleyes: .

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Its such a shame they're not with you all the time when you know they can surprise you some of the time. There's your fundamentals, our fragility.

The babies or the nanas?

The therapy I've seen for dementia patients has them sitting in a circle while a teacher-type stands in the middle, doing a clap-handies thing. The patients enjoy it, but it reminds me of, "Once the man, twice the child".

In the iPod thing the guy goes on a rip with his feelings, great expression. Plus his carer felt relief - must be depressing to do that job without hope.

Which is better: the communal sing-a-long, or the selfish sing-to-self? Difficult.

HOLA4415

The babies or the nanas?

The therapy I've seen for dementia patients has them sitting in a circle while a teacher-type stands in the middle, doing a clap-handies thing. The patients enjoy it, but it reminds me of, "Once the man, twice the child".

In the iPod thing the guy goes on a rip with his feelings, great expression. Plus his carer felt relief - must be depressing to do that job without hope.

Which is better: the communal sing-a-long, or the selfish sing-to-self? Difficult.

....treating them with the respect they deserve......I think they will gain so much by going back into their past and enjoy doing simple versions of what they always used to do, such as rolling out pastry, or making something simple....often their minds know but their body can't express to the outside world their needs....never talk to them as if they are stupid, often depending on the type of dementia they know what they want, including what food they want to eat, or what they want to wear...... sitting in a chair all day, being treated as a baby with no stimulus is not something anyone would want. ;)

Thanks OP for the link, very moving! There's hope for me then...there's nothing I fear more than losing my already tenuous grip on reality, but when I think about it all I would feel like dying without is my music. So as long as I prepare an MP3 player full of my favourite stuff I could last for years in a state of happy enough bemusement!

Excellent call winkie- I've barely been in a church since my voice broke aged 13 and I left the local church choir. My parents were atheists when they enrolled me, and I'm an atheist now, but the 5 years I spent singing beautiful music have always stayed with me. I want a humanist funeral for myself but I'll have Dear Lord And Father Of Mankind played anyway, if only for the final verse:

Breathe through the heats of our desire

Thy coolness and Thy balm;

Let sense be dumb, let flesh retire;

Speak through the earthquake, wind, and fire,

O still, small voice of calm., O still, small voice of calm.

But then when everyone's (hopefully) in tears they'll walk out to this:

...unless of course someone comes up with an even more epic piss take of Angels by Robbie Williams before I kark it :rolleyes: .

That is the beauty of music......there are as many types of music as there are types of people, over a lifetime we change our music tastes and styles....like beliefs it is a continuous stirring, exhilarating journey. ;)

HOLA4416
  • 3 months later...
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

The downside is, I find myself tunelessly humming "Puff the Magic Dragon" to myself, in public places.

I'm a distracted public hummer. Women find it attractive until I start whistling. The barking makes them run away.

The music mentality probably means I'll go daft in old age. Dooo de doo de do de doo dum dum ...

HOLA4420

Music for many people is such a powerful medium, once ingrained, never forgotten....but it is not only the music it is the words that relate to that music.....words that can so often be forgotten will never be when associated with an uplifting tune that is recalled......music is like a drug, listening to certain tunes can change whole feelings completely...both as a high as well as a low.

Hymns for example that children learned in school at a young age will be in their head for a lifetime. wink.gif

Do kids sing hymns anymore? Suspect not, as it's so easy to give offence.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

Brilliant. smile.gif

That'll be me and "Harvest" in 40 years time.

I know what you mean! Some mate of mine reckons he'll be banging out the Smiths, on the old joanna, to his lady folk in the nursing home! And they will all sing along! Still I reckon any music knowledge is good knowledge!

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

The babies or the nanas?

They do sing-songs with old tunes at my mother's dementia care home. People who couldn't tell you what they had for lunch 10 minutes ago will remember all the words to old tunes, because the oldest memories survive longest. Someone likened the memory to a set of bookshelves - newest at the top - and with dementia the contents of the shelves are gradually swept away, top first.

Archived