House Price Crash Forum

Alzheimer's

okaycuckoo

HOLA441

They do sing-songs with old tunes at my mother's dementia care home. People who couldn't tell you what they had for lunch 10 minutes ago will remember all the words to old tunes, because the oldest memories survive longest. Someone likened the memory to a set of bookshelves - newest at the top - and with dementia the contents of the shelves are gradually swept away, top first.

Would you put an ipod together for your mum, like in the OP? See if she reacts differently.

Say she's 80 (you're still a young un!) ie. born c.1935 + assuming the music we listen to in adolescence is the core = the period is 1945-55.

So what are the candidates?

This has to be #1 - or was it rejected after the war?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

I doubt she found Vera Lynn particularly "rad"; more like Bill Haley and his Comets, I should think.

But yes, liturgical music has a lot of appeal even for this stubborn agnostic: I love the compassion and beauty of the words. No particular interest in Lady Di but this hymn, for instance, is fabulous for its sneaky but stunning descant at 2:30 ...

HOLA443

I doubt she found Vera Lynn particularly "rad"; more like Bill Haley and his Comets, I should think.

But yes, liturgical music has a lot of appeal even for this stubborn agnostic: I love the compassion and beauty of the words. No particular interest in Lady Di but this hymn, for instance, is fabulous for its sneaky but stunning descant at 2:30 ...

Well, it took everyone outside by surprise - they were all busy reading the Daily Mail.

Biggest UK hit of 1952 - big brass, lyrics ironic given the theme of this thread:

HOLA444
HOLA445

Would you put an ipod together for your mum, like in the OP? See if she reacts differently.

She's coming up to 96 and is sadly past reacting to anything now. Just a pitiful pathetic shell who hasn't even known her own kids for some time.

It's a few years ago now and even then I thought she'd not show the slightest interest, but I took in a CD of her youngest by a long way granddaughter singing a soprano solo of Panis Angelicus with her school choir. She has a very clear, sweet soprano and I had to take it in for my mother to hear because it's so beautiful and sends shivers up your spine. Was amazed and so pleased when my mother actually listened and evidently appreciated it - though she could not remember who the granddaughter was at all. I shall have it played at her funeral - that is if she doesn't see me out - I do wonder sometimes...

HOLA446

She's coming up to 96 and is sadly past reacting to anything now. Just a pitiful pathetic shell who hasn't even known her own kids for some time.

It's a few years ago now and even then I thought she'd not show the slightest interest, but I took in a CD of her youngest by a long way granddaughter singing a soprano solo of Panis Angelicus with her school choir. She has a very clear, sweet soprano and I had to take it in for my mother to hear because it's so beautiful and sends shivers up your spine. Was amazed and so pleased when my mother actually listened and evidently appreciated it - though she could not remember who the granddaughter was at all. I shall have it played at her funeral - that is if she doesn't see me out - I do wonder sometimes...

Thanks for the bread ...

My brother's wife died of cancer in 2011. He eventually found a new partner, and their 5 kids have formed a happy household. His partner has just been diagnosed with cancer. I wonder too.

HOLA447

Thanks for the bread ...

My brother's wife died of cancer in 2011. He eventually found a new partner, and their 5 kids have formed a happy household. His partner has just been diagnosed with cancer. I wonder too.

That's not very lucky, or maybe the happy household was very lucky indeed! :huh:

HOLA448

Thanks for the bread ...

So terribly sad. Do hope it will respond to treatment - so many do now. Life can be so ******* unfair. I often wonder why such as my mother go on and on and on, with zero quality of life, while others so much younger... She is not even on any meds and if she were we would ask for them to be stopped.

Thanks for posting Kings. It is such a special piece. Not long after we got the CD of my niece's solo, my daughter who is an NGO worker came back after a long and very harrowing time in Ethiopia - terrible drought with cholera on top. I found her listening over and over to that track of P A - not remotely religious but she said it was good to remind herself that there were beautiful things in this world.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

Who knows - I reckon chemicals. Pick up any sun cream or soap or moisturiser. Most people absorb that into their bodies evert single day. Whatever the result - it surely can't be good for you.

HOLA4411

Who knows - I reckon chemicals. Pick up any sun cream or soap or moisturiser. Most people absorb that into their bodies evert single day. Whatever the result - it surely can't be good for you.

Lifestyle factors are supposed to have a bearing...weight, diet, exercise etc. maybe we will get some clues from the bio bank study tracking half a million UK people through their lives in decades to come. But genes probably play the biggest part, Caroline Aherne's cancer is apparently genetic......

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/caroline-aherne-suffering-from-lung-cancer-royle-family-actress-supporting-34million-bid-to-improve-manchester-care-9360500.html

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Got a Great Aunt with alzheimers who is aged 96. She went into what we thought was a death coma on Thursday, but against all odds awoke on Sunday sounding rather strange with a deep throaty inhuman croak and asking for tea according to relative that were visiting her at the residential home. Was still unable to eat and drink during her two days of being awake and force feeding/prolonging life with a drip has been ruled out by the doctor after several trips to hospital recently. Has now resumed the death coma, but five days without food and water she lives on like someone who is indestructable and defying all medical reasoning. It may kill life quality but in her case has had little bearing on longevity despite having the disease for years.

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA4419

Got a Great Aunt with alzheimers who is aged 96. She went into what we thought was a death coma on Thursday, but against all odds awoke on Sunday sounding rather strange with a deep throaty inhuman croak and asking for tea according to relative that were visiting her at the residential home. Was still unable to eat and drink during her two days of being awake and force feeding/prolonging life with a drip has been ruled out by the doctor after several trips to hospital recently. Has now resumed the death coma, but five days without food and water she lives on like someone who is indestructable and defying all medical reasoning. It may kill life quality but in her case has had little bearing on longevity despite having the disease for years.

Strange. Hope it ends well.

HOLA4420

Strange. Hope it ends well.

She died five and a half days after having food and water. It appears that the NHS will not keep someone alive for the sake of it and perhaps it is more merciful to let the very elderly with dementia pass away naturally.

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

She died five and a half days after having food and water. It appears that the NHS will not keep someone alive for the sake of it and perhaps it is more merciful to let the very elderly with dementia pass away naturally.

Sorry to hear that. It is odd how some demented people seem to live on for years and years. My theory is that a person with a healthy brain eventually gets tired of life and loses the will to go on - I feel that way myself sometimes and I'm only 42! - but I don't recall feeling that way at 20 or even 30. A demented person however loses that awareness and just ticks over, like an engine idling at low revs.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Sorry to hear that. It is odd how some demented people seem to live on for years and years. My theory is that a person with a healthy brain eventually gets tired of life and loses the will to go on - I feel that way myself sometimes and I'm only 42! - but I don't recall feeling that way at 20 or even 30. A demented person however loses that awareness and just ticks over, like an engine idling at low revs.

I'm not demented yet! I am older than you!

Archived