House Price Crash Forum

Quitting Sugar

clarioniq

HOLA441

I've been addicted to sugar for my whole life.

It's such a difficult habit to kick. Historically my will power hasn't been that bad in life but I fail at this one again and again.

I'm particularly concerned at the effect it's having on my mood. I feel pretty down at the minute, poor concentration, anxiety, lazy and I think it's definetely a factor. The worse I feel, the more sugary junk I eat which just makes the problem worse.

Any creative ideas on how to break the habit?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

It's such a difficult habit to kick. Historically my will power hasn't been that bad in life but I fail at this one again and again.

I'm particularly concerned at the effect it's having on my mood. I feel pretty down at the minute, poor concentration, anxiety, lazy and I think it's definetely a factor. The worse I feel, the more sugary junk I eat which just makes the problem worse.

go for a walk.

nibble on walnut halves...very good price in Aldi.

HOLA443

A determined week off?

I find this with beer, I get the sugar rush (which I'm sure is more of an addiction than the alcohol, I don't touch and have no desire for wine and spirits) and then about 18 hours later get the low sugar which has me craving it again.

If I ignore that for a week then the downswings (hunger, tiredness) go away entirely.

One reason I think there is a big relationship (other than the sugars in beer which we know about) is that somebody I know who was a heavy beer drinker packed it in entirely after a medical condition (?2 years ago) and since then has developed a very sweet tooth which he didn't have before; now it's sweets and cakes with lots of icing on them at every opportunity.

HOLA444

If it's a lifestyle (i.e., permanent) change you're after, I've had most success with gradual but relentless changes.

Every so often, remove or replace something sugary in your diet, or reduce the amount of sugar you use (eventually to zero) in drinks and on breakfast cereal etc.

When the changes are gradual, I find I soon become accustomed to the new norm which allows me to reduce again... and ultimately end up with an adjusted lifestyle rather than 'suffering' a temporary regime which won't last.

HOLA445

Read 'The Depression Cure' by Dr Steve Illardi and put its six lifestyle changes into practice - this will help reduce your depression/anxiety better than any antidepressant and should help you beat your sugar addiction.

Get all processed foods out if the house and don't buy any more. Have a banana instead or get a smoothie maker and start knocking up smoothies.

HOLA446

A determined week off?

I find this with beer, I get the sugar rush (which I'm sure is more of an addiction than the alcohol, I don't touch and have no desire for wine and spirits) and then about 18 hours later get the low sugar which has me craving it again.

If I ignore that for a week then the downswings (hunger, tiredness) go away entirely.

One reason I think there is a big relationship (other than the sugars in beer which we know about) is that somebody I know who was a heavy beer drinker packed it in entirely after a medical condition (?2 years ago) and since then has developed a very sweet tooth which he didn't have before; now it's sweets and cakes with lots of icing on them at every opportunity.

Wants to take the beer up again, that kind of habit will polish him off far quicker than the alcohol will. You probably already know being a resident HPCOTer but it's a common misconception among asians (middle eastern) that their abstinence from alcohol means they won't develop fatty liver. Unfortunately they don't realise the amount of ghee and other sugar that goes into their curries, chutneys and other everyday edibles sees them, percentage wise, even more likely to develop it against even the biggest groups of wasters.

HOLA447

I might try the gradual but methodical approach. I must have failed 50 times trying to go cold turkey!

Thanks for the book recommendations.

I thought that smoothies and stuff were off the menu now as also being too sugary? Orange juice is apparently worse thank coke. A lot of bread and cereals are also demonized in the same bracket as just being empty carb calories.

Already struggling what to eat for breakfast! A chocolate croissant would go down a treat!!

HOLA448

I might try the gradual but methodical approach. I must have failed 50 times trying to go cold turkey!

I thought that smoothies and stuff were off the menu now as also being too sugary? Orange juice is apparently worse thank coke. A lot of bread and cereals are also demonized in the same bracket as just being empty carb calories.

Already struggling what to eat for breakfast! A chocolate croissant would go down a treat!!

You could try looking at stevia (or other erm, 'natural' sweeteners). Can't be any worse than sugar and there's loads of internet out there.

As for bread, make your own.

HOLA449

A timely story:

Mother switched her boys to a 'healthier' diet - and found they ate even MORE sugar than before

World Health Organisation’s recommended daily allowance (RDA) is 90g of sugar per day

Amanda Cable managed to push her sons' sugar content up to 152 grams each day

article-2536913-1A88252000000578-837_634x447.jpg

article-2536913-1A88252000000578-206_634x331.jpg

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2536913/Mother-switched-boys-healthier-diet-MORE-sugar.html

Daily Mail link and images copyright IRRO productions MMXIV.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

For drinks like tea or coffee, go somewhere where there is no sugar or milk for a week (you may have to use your imagination a bit if you're not much of a traveller)and after that you'll never want sugar or milk in the drinks again. Working in France weaned me off milk in tea and coffee, a camping holiday where the sugar was forgotten dealt with that aspect.

As for dietary sugar in foods, try a gradual approach - replace all processed foods with natural stuff (eg fruit for breakfast instead of fruit juice) and you could try fasting - for me at least it has had the odd effect of making me crave savoury foods and vegetables for which I have no explanation whatever.

I still like dark chocolate a lot though, it's difficult to win them all.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Take up smoking instead

HOLA4414

Take up smoking instead

I know that's tongue in cheek but having a fag when you're hungry makes you less hungry. I have said this to some people who keep trying and failing to lose weight on teh grounds that being five stone overweight is much worse for your health than smoking five fags a day.

HOLA4415

I know that's tongue in cheek but having a fag when you're hungry makes you less hungry. I have said this to some people who keep trying and failing to lose weight on teh grounds that being five stone overweight is much worse for your health than smoking five fags a day.

It was tongue in cheek Frank mainly as we have just been told that sugar is the new tobacco, mind you its a bugger to roll and light.

Sugar white poison

HOLA4416

Fresh pieces of fruit are better than refined sugars and processed foods/drinks because it takes longer for fruit sugar to be broken down, it doesn't spike your blood sugar level as badly IIRC. Dried fruits are concentrated though so limit how much of those you eat.

If you can stomach it, wholegrain foods will help to keep your energy level consistent/prevent a blood sugar crash.

HOLA4417

The only thing fresh in that 'healthy' diet is the banana :lol:

I also get a sugar need when i am off the bevvy during the week. It really is something else. Brutal and way more addictive than bevvy imo.

As for ideas ? Maybe increase your intake of fat ? When they make things 'low fat' they usually just replace the fat with sugar. So you could try the opposite ?

HOLA4418

It was tongue in cheek Frank mainly as we have just been told that sugar is the new tobacco, mind you its a bugger to roll and light.

Sugar white poison

Ah yes, I remember that story now.

I have actually read a "scientific" (as in climate change type scientific) paper that smoking tobacco is not actually bad for you and does not cause lung cancer. It is the vast number of chemicals that get put into it that cause the cancer, and there are way more of these in cigarettes than in rolling tobacco because of the requirement for them to self-extinguish.

I'm surprised that if there is even a whisper of truth in this that the tobacco companies are not producing and promoting vast scientific research into it. As a (very) occasional smoker the only time I had a no-chemical baccy ?Natural Spirit it had either been badly stored or was just like that as it was dry and unpleasant.

HOLA4419

I have actually read a "scientific" (as in climate change type scientific) paper that smoking tobacco is not actually bad for you and does not cause lung cancer. It is the vast number of chemicals that get put into it that cause the cancer, and there are way more of these in cigarettes than in rolling tobacco because of the requirement for them to self-extinguish.

I'm surprised that if there is even a whisper of truth in this that the tobacco companies are not producing and promoting vast scientific research into it. As a (very) occasional smoker the only time I had a no-chemical baccy ?Natural Spirit it had either been badly stored or was just like that as it was dry and unpleasant.

So who commissioned and paid for that paper then? BAT?

HOLA4420

I remember reading the tobacco smoke didn't cause cancer directly, however, it damaged the cilia which meant that all the pollutants in the air stayed in the lung, instead of being flushed out. Thus increasing the risk. Sounds plausible, but I've no idea if it's true.

Gave up sugar when I was about 22. Saw a dreadful documentary about tooth decay. The next day, I stopped taking sugar in tea and coffee, and made myself treat them as entirely new beverages I hadn't drunk before. It worked, and over the next year or so I lost my taste for all sorts of over-sugared cakes and other produce.

Fruit juices look to be a real Trojan horse, all the sugar and no moderating fibre, so instant glycaemic surge. Prefer my fruit juice aged, as in vintage Bordeaux :D

HOLA4421

No idea of the truth of this but smoking a pipe killed my Dad just as surely as the cigarettes killed all the other smokers on his side of the family.

He was convinced it was healthier than cigarettes, it's true he lasted a few more years than the others.

HOLA4422

So who commissioned and paid for that paper then? BAT?

Possibly!

I wonder if there is some truth in it, in that the relative harmful effects of the burning chemcials compared to the burning tobacco makes smoking ten times more harmful that it would be without the chemicals.

I have a similar issue with climate change in that the "science" is divisive whereas what I really want to know is the relative contribution of human gas emissions (fnaar fnaar) as compared to natural changes.

If 99% of the harm from smoking comes from the chemicals and 99% of the climate change comes from nature then I'll start smoking twenty natural tobacco ciggies a day whilst burning some old car tyres on the patio.

If however 99% of the harm comes from the tobacco and 99% of climate change is human-caused then I'll take both way more seriously.

We don't however receive this sort of sensible information, maybe we're not to be trusted with it.

HOLA4423

I remember reading the tobacco smoke didn't cause cancer directly, however, it damaged the cilia which meant that all the pollutants in the air stayed in the lung, instead of being flushed out. Thus increasing the risk. Sounds plausible, but I've no idea if it's true.

Gave up sugar when I was about 22. Saw a dreadful documentary about tooth decay. The next day, I stopped taking sugar in tea and coffee, and made myself treat them as entirely new beverages I hadn't drunk before. It worked, and over the next year or so I lost my taste for all sorts of over-sugared cakes and other produce.

Fruit juices look to be a real Trojan horse, all the sugar and no moderating fibre, so instant glycaemic surge. Prefer my fruit juice aged, as in vintage Bordeaux :D

It's all smoke ;) and mirrors with tobacco, there's a real lack of honest debate.

After reading that about fruit juices earlier in the year (the ones form concentrate, the freshly-squezed ones are fine) I started treating it like squash and diluting it with water of a morning. Tastes fine and it lasts a lot longer!

No idea of the truth of this but smoking a pipe killed my Dad just as surely as the cigarettes killed all the other smokers on his side of the family.

He was convinced it was healthier than cigarettes, it's true he lasted a few more years than the others.

There would be chemcials in the pipe tobacco though, think he was right that it's healthier than cigarettes.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Just to put the alternative position:

I had the impression that pretty much any kind of smoke is carcinogenic. Those who complain mightily when someone on the other side of the beer garden lights up, but who will happily spend 45 minutes leaning over a barbecue while they char everyone else's food are... well, let's say muddled in their thinking.

Just because humankind has been sitting around wood fires for tens of thousands of years doesn't mean it's harmless or 'natural'.

Archived