House Price Crash Forum

Legals Re Returning Perfectly Working Dvd's

bendy

HOLA441

Long story short, idiot missus (after being advised by me to NEVER FKING EVER buy a bluray/dvd but she did anyway, woman always knows best etc.) buys Cloud Atlas to watch with the family sometime over xmas.

Basically she's got a DVD version (I downloaded a bluray 1080 rip that we watched earlier in the year) and the sack of shit can't be resized to a full 720p or 1080p screen even with VLC (unlike the completely 'free' (minus the usenet account) download).

I get her reasoning in that it's easier to just take a CD to watch rather than haul a PC around lol (I did at least get a nzxt vulcan that's got a handle) but also said never buy media, it's crap, as proved.

So has anyone ever successfully returned a dvd? I imagine I may have to say I have purchased this and it doesn't fullscreen on my 720p tv, can you show me that it does on yours else I want my cash back. :unsure:

women.

/rant :)

HOLA442

Long story short, idiot missus (after being advised by me to NEVER FKING EVER buy a bluray/dvd but she did anyway, woman always knows best etc.) buys Cloud Atlas to watch with the family sometime over xmas.

Basically she's got a DVD version (I downloaded a bluray 1080 rip that we watched earlier in the year) and the sack of shit can't be resized to a full 720p or 1080p screen even with VLC (unlike the completely 'free' (minus the usenet account) download).

I get her reasoning in that it's easier to just take a CD to watch rather than haul a PC around lol (I did at least get a nzxt vulcan that's got a handle) but also said never buy media, it's crap, as proved.

So has anyone ever successfully returned a dvd? I imagine I may have to say I have purchased this and it doesn't fullscreen on my 720p tv, can you show me that it does on yours else I want my cash back. :unsure:

women.

Rant idiots who steal other people's work men :angry:

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

jeez, calm down love.

i 'stole' oblivion recently too, I think I should be able to charge for 2 hours of my life back, what a sack of shit. Besides, I'm employing people with skills by having a usenet account :)

Oh well, looks like I've got an unwanted cd then.

HOLA447

women.

Most woman cannot understand the difference between a dvd or blu-ray, i cannot and i am a man.

HOLA448

I do find on-line piracy a strange subject. It is as though if someones can't physically touch it then stealing doesn't apply to it.

Perhaps that is why bankers and the government don't give two hoots about the poor. They don't see them as human therefore can not feel compassion.

HOLA449

if you bought it in a supermarket, you could try chancing your luck at the customers service desk. but as said above once you've opened it's yours, unless faulty.

instead of carting the PC around get a little media player. the Sumvision Cyclone Micro Media Player, is good apart from the crap remote. 25£, watch out for fakes.

or better still get a small form factor PC such as the acer revo net top(was one for £100 at ebuyer) have it permanently attached to TV via HDMI, use that to watch stuff, bonus with that is you can use it for bbc iplayer etc.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

I do find on-line piracy a strange subject. It is as though if someones can't physically touch it then stealing doesn't apply to it.

Perhaps that is why bankers and the government don't give two hoots about the poor. They don't see them as human therefore can not feel compassion.

Although there is also the problem that prices are kept artificially high, if goods where cheap enough piracy wouldn't exist.

Many artists have got rich stealing other peoples ideas if they have powerful enough lawyers and sometimes creative gets destroyed because people can't "steal".

"What the F*ck Is Going On?" if you want this album by the KLF the only way to get it is with a pirate copy, killed by Abba's lawyers. Creativity killed.

HOLA4412

The most similar example I can think of is when I bought a vinyl LP which had been mastered at such a low recording level that any crack or pop could have blown the speakers as you had to turn it up so loud to hear it.

The guy in HMV said this was deliberate as they wanted you to buy the CDs instead.

I said if I wanted a digital copy with no sound quality I could have just downloaded it from the internet for nothing.

It was exchanged without argument for a different vinyl LP.

Mind you that was about 15 years ago.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

jeez, calm down love.

i 'stole' oblivion recently too, I think I should be able to charge for 2 hours of my life back, what a sack of shit. Besides, I'm employing people with skills by having a usenet account :)

Oh well, looks like I've got an unwanted cd then.

I watched Oblivion in a pain killer haze...I loved it...my family, needed pain killers after watching it.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Although there is also the problem that prices are kept artificially high, if goods where cheap enough piracy wouldn't exist.

Yes it would. A bit less perhaps but it still would.

Anyway, if a DVD won't resize that won't be fault of the DVD (unless for some idiotic reason tha actual picture really is surrounded by a border, i.e. the border is part of the picture) but of the DVD player of software, and if it'll screw up on that it's just as likely to screw up on a download.

Personally I much prefer keeping everything on physical media, even if I've got it backed up on the computer and usually play it like that. I like having shelves full of stuff. Browsing a shelf is somehow much more satisfying than browsing a directory.

HOLA4418

if you bought it in a supermarket, you could try chancing your luck at the customers service desk. but as said above once you've opened it's yours, unless faulty.

instead of carting the PC around get a little media player. the Sumvision Cyclone Micro Media Player, is good apart from the crap remote. 25£, watch out for fakes.

or better still get a small form factor PC such as the acer revo net top(was one for £100 at ebuyer) have it permanently attached to TV via HDMI, use that to watch stuff, bonus with that is you can use it for bbc iplayer etc.

+1.

I got one of these Cyclones recently. It's tiny and I have small 2TB HDD hanging off the back of it. I've digitised all the kids DVDs before they destroy them :D

Can also stick your photos on it and have slides shows on the TV and if you really wanted to you could play your digital music on it too.

Cheap as chips but does the job pretty well.

• 3 weeks later...
HOLA4419

The real question is:

Is Cloud Atlas any good? :)

I've just watched it and it's very hard to describe. If you've got a reasonable home cinema setup you'll certainly find it a pretty immersing experience and other-worldly.

It's the sort of gamble the film industry ought to take more often, in this case it doesn't quite pay off as big as it deserved to but, even so, it's oddly compelling viewing. Jim Broadbent delivers a star comic turn as a struggling publisher, Tom Hanks is reliably solid and several of the less well known names shine also.

On the whole it's a sort of peculiarly trippy mind-f**k. that you only realise on reflection later, just how much is crammed in. The Korean fast food joint of the future is right up Wonderpup's street too.

Archived