House Price Crash Forum

750 Tube Jobs To Go...

HOLA441

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-25025888

The jobless recovery has certainly taken off recently,are they trying to keep the jobless figure well above 7%.

"London Underground ticket offices to close and 750 jobs to go"

Not to worry though they all live in london, if they buy into the London property market this year they will all be rich before their jobs go.

Buy now, get rich quick.

What a bunch of tubes.

HOLA442
HOLA443

They are probably all London property millionaires :rolleyes:

If they own a terrace house in a not so rough area, they might well be!!!!

That shows the madness of the whole thing and how unsustainable it is.

I feel really sorry for anyone being sucked into buying now.

It's a matter of time till the tube drivers on £50K a year are replaced by an automatic train system.

HOLA444

It's a matter of time till the tube drivers on £50K a year are replaced by an automatic train system.

And then half the trains cancelled because ticket price inflation has made even the tube unaffordable. :D

HOLA445

I'm using Metro line 14 in Paris quite a lot at the moment.

No drivers. Fast, punctual, doesn't go on strike. Brilliant.

Don't know what it cost to implement though, the rattly old lines are more like the London tube, some are even worse.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

Mayor of London Boris Johnson, said: "This is just the first stage in an opening up of the tube network to become 24 hours.

"For 150 years the Tube has been the beating heart of London, its tunnels and tracks providing the arteries that have transported millions of people and helped to drive the development and economic growth of our great city."

Boris frothing more and more bubbles.

From that it definitely sounds as if London's bubble is on the cusp of bursting.

HOLA449

Automatic trains have been in operation on some lines for nearly 20 years now. It's the only way they can get the capacity on the central line, as the computers can drive the trains closer and safer than a human can. There is still a human driver, after extensive union pressure and strikes, but all they do is press a button to close the doors and start the journey.

On the overground sections of the central line, I regularly used to see the "drivers" texting or messing with ipads while the train would just pull into the station and stop automatically.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Driverless trains, boats and planes......self service ticket offices and banks....what next ? self diagnosis of medical conditions, do it yourself legal services, buy and study on-line, the possibilities are endless.....

These have been tried before and failed spectacularly, but no doubt will be tried again.

Things that can be run scientifically and mathematically (such as tube trains) will be given to computers. Things that can't, will still require human input as they are more of an art than a science.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

These have been tried before and failed spectacularly, but no doubt will be tried again.

Things that can be run scientifically and mathematically (such as tube trains) will be given to computers. Things that can't, will still require human input as they are more of an art than a science.

Never say never. ;)

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Driverless trains, boats and planes......self service ticket offices and banks....what next ? self diagnosis of medical conditions, do it yourself legal services, buy and study on-line, the possibilities are endless.....

That's what a post scarcity economy begins to look like I guess.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

That's what a post scarcity economy begins to look like I guess.

....but it is not only that ....it is more of us are volunteering to do the very necessary work that can't be afforded to be paid for, or charity donations are required from others to keep local needs in operation.....I could list quite a number from air ambulances, to lifeboats, to credit unions, to CABs to youth workers, brown owls etc etc.

....and in the next breath the entitled are demanding 10% plus pay rises because their high salaries and expenses/allowences are not enough to keep them going.....poor flowers. ;)

HOLA4425