House Price Crash Forum

Europe Moves Nearer Japan-Style Deflation Trap With Shock Price Falls

HOLA441

+1

Senior/experienced colleague leaves, but doesn't get replaced. Work and responsibly that Senior/experienced colleague got paid extra for gets trickled down to the more junior staff without the extra pay...

LEAN - Another concept deliberately miss interpreted to suck every last sinew out of the ever decreasing pool of suckers left.

Get rid of the old expensive employees - pay them off with a pension deal as a sweetener. New replacements more often than not without the same access terms and pension rights. Pensions = pay in lieu so another side of the reducing relative wage. Medical benefits and other concessions too.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

+1

Senior/experienced colleague leaves, but doesn't get replaced. Work and responsibly that Senior/experienced colleague got paid extra for gets trickled down to the more junior staff without the required experience, expertise or extra compensatory pay...

LEAN - Another concept deliberately miss interpreted to suck every last sinew out of the ever decreasing pool of suckers left.

This is happening on a grand scale at the firm I work for. They are so brazen about it - they don't even pretend that they'll give you a future pay increase/extra training/ something else in return for the increased stress and workload. Net result - large increase in stress related sickness and a completely demoralised workforce.

HOLA443

This is happening on a grand scale at the firm I work for. They are so brazen about it - they don't even pretend that they'll give you a future pay increase/extra training/ something else in return for the increased stress and workload. Net result - large increase in stress related sickness and a completely demoralised workforce.

Yes, pretty common I guess.

However they are measuring it, I'm sure that TRUE 'productivity' isn't increasing. Just costs falling. Work done to a loower standard.

No immediate fallout but a long term drip, drip towards business failure.

HOLA444

So the UK is the opposite - everything going up in price except wages.

Got my car insurance quopte today...gone up 20%, to £850.

Called them. Got it down to a 10% increase, down to £750

Told them to stick it, cancelled the renewal.

Went on their website, 10 mins later had a quote for £450 !!!!! That's £400 less than the original renewal and £200 less than last year !!!!

Exact same company, Exact same policy.

Do we have inflation for idiots and deflation for anyone with half a brain ?

My mobile phone tariff now is £14.00, 5000 minutes 5000 texts, unlimited internet. I was paying £30 till recently....same company, same phone, same deal.

I used to buy kellogs cornflakes £2.70 a pack I now buy sainsburys own brand and I prefer them...£1.45.

Deflation through choice.

( BTW. I personally only have half a brain in use, the 2nd half of my head sits pondering house prices all day. ).

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

HOLA445

Got my car insurance quopte today...gone up 20%, to £850.

Called them. Got it down to a 10% increase, down to £750

Told them to stick it, cancelled the renewal.

Went on their website, 10 mins later had a quote for £450 !!!!! That's £400 less than the original renewal and £200 less than last year !!!!

Exact same company, Exact same policy.

Do we have inflation for idiots and deflation for anyone with half a brain ?

My mobile phone tariff now is £14.00, 5000 minutes 5000 texts, unlimited internet. I was paying £30 till recently....same company, same phone, same deal.

I used to buy kellogs cornflakes £2.70 a pack I now buy sainsburys own brand and I prefer them...£1.45.

( BTW. I personally only have half a brain in use, the 2nd half of my head sits pondering house prices all day. ).

Sainsburys were selling very decent fairtrade cotton tops the other day for 3 or 4 quid each. As expected I bought about ten, they could last me a couple of years if they had to, can`t see that as anything but deflationary?

Edited by dances with sheeple

HOLA446

Sainsburys were selling very decent fairtrade cotton tops the other day for 3 or 4 quid each. As expected I bought about ten, they could last me a couple of years if they had to, can`t see that as anything but deflationary?

I used to pay £50-£60 for jeans...the price of those have gone up and up....I now buy cheap ones...personal deflation.

I guess inflation is for the really poor who were already at the lowest common denominator.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

That has been the case for a long time.

Poor people always pay more in the end.

I should not have conflated two issues in a lazy sentence.

I am obtaining larger discounts than I have encountered before and an eagerness to discount if I 'will' purchase.

Discretionary spend although more expensive on credit, is discretionary.

Paying more for non-discretionary items such as fuel is tough.

Edited by LiveinHope

HOLA4410

I used to pay £50-£60 for jeans...the price of those have gone up and up....I now buy cheap ones...personal deflation.

I guess inflation is for the really poor who were already at the lowest common denominator.

Think I have some Asda jeans, that cost about a tenner probably, on their third year, and still fine for work wear etc. What were you buying at £50 - £60, Levi`s? They used to be that and upwards over ten years ago, but the quality seemed much less than the 80`s ones I used to buy, so I just didn`t bother any more. Honestly don`t know how the official Levi`s shops can still be trading?

HOLA4411

same phone, same deal.

What are you doing man!!!!!!!

Corn flakes from morrisons are 31p for a 500g box?????

HOLA4412

Think I have some Asda jeans, that cost about a tenner probably, on their third year, and still fine for work wear etc. What were you buying at £50 - £60, Levi`s? They used to be that and upwards over ten years ago, but the quality seemed much less than the 80`s ones I used to buy, so I just didn`t bother any more. Honestly don`t know how the official Levi`s shops can still be trading?

....asda clothes quality was brilliant about six or seven years ago, same for ikea and many outlets, but no so good now as it was, for obvious reasons.....branded goods are not always the best quality, but if you insist old secondhand branded goods can be better quality than new branded goods or even new non branded goods..... ;)

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

I'm quite looking forward to some price drops. The more, and the sooner, the better.

Seems that the enormous forces pushing for debt retrenchment are hard to counter. FLS/ZIRP/HTB etc, all designed to keep that net lending pile increasing has at best kept it level, as shown regularly by ChairmanOfTheBored.

Cameron tapped out a few more young mugs for the pyre recently, how many are left with wages rising at 0.7%, far below the growth in the cost of essentials.

Every month, worse financials for borrowers and the country alike. Another turn of the screw.

Edited by The B.L.T.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/news/article-2505232/BoE-UKs-recovery-stoke-debate-early-rate-rise.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

There are several reason why interest rates will need to rise, this time the reason could be trust, or lack of it. :unsure:

The man says no so it won't happen. He is Mr. Boom isn't he - he ain't going to allow IRs to rise for years IMPO. It will take some enormous financial shock to make him do it IMPO.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

The man says no so it won't happen. He is Mr. Boom isn't he - he ain't going to allow IRs to rise for years IMPO. It will take some enormous financial shock to make him do it IMPO.

Sometimes the things that happen are beyond control.....investment by others requires better rates, you can't rely on the printing of money, high levels of debt and the ever increasing value of housing stock to provide the money supply......low rates mean, weak economy......how much longer can we afford to continue trashing it? :unsure:

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Sometimes the things that happen are beyond control.....investment by others requires better rates, you can't rely on the printing of money, high levels of debt and the ever increasing value of housing stock to provide the money supply......low rates mean, weak economy......how much longer can we afford to continue trashing it? :unsure:

It is not about the economy really though is it? It is about ego, careers, personal self-advancement and personal self-enrichment IMPO. Not for you or I of course.

HOLA4422

It is not about the economy really though is it? It is about ego, careers, personal self-advancement and personal self-enrichment IMPO. Not for you or I of course.

There are no doubt a fair few egotistical bods about that revel in the thought of free money to burn today, chuck it away tomorrow lifestyle....but how can you blame their unhealthy behaviour when that is seen as the most profitable way to play the game of chance.....the rules are created so people follow them. ;)

HOLA4423

There are no doubt a fair few egotistical bods about that revel in the thought of free money to burn today, chuck it away tomorrow lifestyle....but how can you blame their unhealthy behaviour when that is seen as the most profitable way to play the game of chance.....the rules are created so people follow them. ;)

I, perhaps stupidly, come from a background and upbringing that believes in working towards the great good and helping others. It took me a long, long time to work out that lots of people in corporates, and now very much so in the public sector, are simply in it for themselves.

Whatever organisation they are in is just merely a stepping stone to something else involving more money, better perks, better pension and loads of ego enlarging.

HOLA4424

I, perhaps stupidly, come from a background and upbringing that believes in working towards the great good and helping others. It took me a long, long time to work out that lots of people in corporates, and now very much so in the public sector, are simply in it for themselves.

Whatever organisation they are in is just merely a stepping stone to something else involving more money, better perks, better pension and loads of ego enlarging.

It is our duty to look after ourselves and then after our neighbours. Actually the second part of that comes naturally providing we all do the first. I can't think of anything better towards the great good than running a business which employs people, selling quality merchandise or services in the market to people want to buy out of their own choice. Such businesses creates value enhancement for everyone in society.

It's just things have for too long been out of control with framework broken which allowed massive short-term selfish gain and profiteering over long term interests of a genuine businesses. Rules changed, regulators asleep, shareholders intoxicated with thoughts of gain, widespread belief in house prices doubling every few years as natural and as a 'good thing'.

Shows what many have become - so embarrassing for a culture, plain as day for everyone to see. Not sure how some haven't keeled over with embarrassment. Perhaps all the gains from the boom they took insulated them from it. It's also on display in many of the monuments to the boom built during last decade - awful modern mcmansions, full of big glass windows to look out onto the safe boom world. Expecting youngsters to lap up more debt to keep it all rolling.

Bust is required to restore sense. Yet we've seen taxpayer bailouts of those who took short-term gain, QE, balance sheets of more red ink, huge stimulus protecting so many of those who were selfish for short-term interests with framework broken. Whilst hurting good business both in the boom, in favour of those who over-extended and partied it up, and the bust that's not been allowed to play out fully.

Deflation fears stalk eurozone as Spain reports fall in prices

Economists fear low inflation plus high unemployment and the economic malaise may drag eurozone towards Japan-style slump

The Guardian, Wednesday 13 November 2013 20.36 GMT

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2013/nov/13/deflation-fears-eurozone-spain-fall-prices

HOLA4425

It is our duty to look after ourselves and then after our neighbours. Actually the second part of that comes naturally providing we all do the first. I can't think of anything better towards the great good than running a business which employs people, selling quality merchandise or services in the market to people want to buy out of their own choice. Such businesses creates value enhancement for everyone in society.

It's just things have for too long been out of control with framework broken which allowed massive short-term selfish gain and profiteering over long term interests of a genuine businesses. Rules changed, regulators asleep, shareholders intoxicated with thoughts of gain, widespread belief in house prices doubling every few years as natural and as a 'good thing'.

Shows what many have become - so embarrassing for a culture, plain as day for everyone to see. Not sure how some haven't keeled over with embarrassment. Perhaps all the gains from the boom they took insulated them from it. It's also on display in many of the monuments to the boom built during last decade - awful modern mcmansions, full of big glass windows to look out onto the safe boom world. Expecting youngsters to lap up more debt to keep it all rolling.

Bust is required to restore sense. Yet we've seen taxpayer bailouts of those who took short-term gain, QE, balance sheets of more red ink, huge stimulus protecting so many of those who were selfish for short-term interests with framework broken. Whilst hurting good business both in the boom, in favour of those who over-extended and partied it up, and the bust that's not been allowed to play out fully.

http://www.theguardi...ain-fall-prices

Defllation to kick off the EZ break up party?