House Price Crash Forum

Will Help To Buy Affect How You Vote At The Next Election?

HOLA441
HOLA442

Will the Help to Buy scheme be successful in buying votes for the Conservatives?

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2013/10/osborne-reveals-true-aim-help-buy-inflate-house-prices

I wouldn't have thought opinions from this forum would be indicative.

for myself, I would normally vote Con, but I will not next time, though I won't vote for any of the other mainstream parties either. If the monster raving loonies field a candidate here, I might just vote for them. I won't vote UKIP because I can't stand Nigel Farage, and in any case I'm not sure the UK should leave the EU. What I would want is for the EU to stop meddling so much and wasting so many billions and overpaying too many staff. They need to sort their own house out. However I know it's unlikely that this massive bloated gravy train is unlikely ever to slim itself down voluntarily.

I was so appalled by HTB I emailed my MP (con) shortly after it was announced, long before there was any anti-fuss in the media. God knows prices around here are crazy enough already. He was largely sympathetic and fwded my email to the housing minister.

The reply I received was arrogant and dismissive in the extreme. According to him there were absolutely no grounds for assuming that HTb would inflate prices.

Voting in this constituency (Richmond Park) is usually pretty tight Con/LD - Labour come nowhere.

HOLA443

I wouldn't have thought opinions from this forum would be indicative.

for myself, I would normally vote Con, but I will not next time, though I won't vote for any of the other mainstream parties either. If the monster raving loonies field a candidate here, I might just vote for them. I won't vote UKIP because I can't stand Nigel Farage, and in any case I'm not sure the UK should leave the EU. What I would want is for the EU to stop meddling so much and wasting so many billions and overpaying too many staff. They need to sort their own house out. However I know it's unlikely that this massive bloated gravy train is unlikely ever to slim itself down voluntarily.

I was so appalled by HTB I emailed my MP (con) shortly after it was announced, long before there was any anti-fuss in the media. God knows prices around here are crazy enough already. He was largely sympathetic and fwded my email to the housing minister.

The reply I received was arrogant and dismissive in the extreme. According to him there were absolutely no grounds for assuming that HTb would inflate prices.

Voting in this constituency (Richmond Park) is usually pretty tight Con/LD - Labour come nowhere.

<Ditto> ;)

HOLA444
HOLA445

I'd consider voting for anybody if I thought they might do something to address the economic situation that younger people are in through no fault of their own. It was already abundantly clear that the Conservatives are not interested in that, so HTB has made no difference.

HOLA446

Won't vote Tory again, and won't vote any other party either.

I don't believe there is a single politician that has the interests of the country or their constituency at the forefront of their agenda - they are in it for themselves, their families, their colleagues, and their cronies.

What's the point of voting for any of them? It only serves to reinforce this as an acceptable situation...

HOLA447

Party issues aside, I'm happy to vote for a decent constituency MP irrespective of what they get up to in London, to a point. HTB trancends that though, I will not vote Tory or any other party which supports it. I wrote to my Con MP in April, he told me it was a great idea and last week Nick Boles also told HTB is 'essential'.

I am firmly of the view that HTB will also kill the Con's reelection hopes. Labour rode the free money HPI bandwagon before the ill effects became widely apparent to many; they certainly won't vote Con for doing the same trick. Cons rely on votes from people who care about the economy, and HTB corrodes that vote hugely.

They need to clear out wets like Cameron, Osborne and their entourage and get back to sensible economic policies that do not rely on interweaving the state with their favoured corporations. Seems like the balance of power is against the sound money types, but a defeat in 2015 will offer an opportunity to have a restructure/battle for control of the party.

The HTB article by Cameron in the local paper in Northamptonshire is beyond parody, but shows what the Cons have become. A complete joke of a party whose interests are thinly veiled.

I would have considered the Cons if my MP was against HTB and exhibited a capacity for independent thought, but his support makes it an absolute impossibility and I hope he loses his seat(likely).

HOLA448

They're all basically lefty parties so who you vote for makes little difference. The media labels them evil tory this and that; and the gullible public eats it up but really they're no different from labour. Only difference is labour is more expensive. One thing I know for certain is we don't want more government telling us what to do.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Help to Buy just reinforces that the 3 main parties don't offer a democratic choice or even a real choice. The latest version of the Conservatives reinforces that. The LibDems have fallen into that line given their first opportunity.

It reinforces that their written or spoken word means little or nothing.

It reinforces that none of them are worth support.

Edited by billybong

HOLA4413

Odd set of choices - from the third one, you won't be able to tell the difference between those who would have voted conservative and still will, and those who would never have voted conservative and still won't.

That was what I intended, a simple poll to judge the effect HTB is having on the Conservative vote. Those who would have voted conservative and still will, and those who would never have voted conservative and still won't do not make any difference to that.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

That was what I intended, a simple poll to judge the effect HTB is having on the Conservative vote. Those who would have voted conservative and still will, and those who would never have voted conservative and still won't do not make any difference to that.

Hmmm. Hard to envisage a more unrepresentative sample than HPC. Unless perhaps you were to poll the Daily Express offices.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Yes.

In addition to the £250 quid for Royal Mail and the numerous other small giveaways to various different sectors, which we are bound to get over the coming months.

I am a firm believer in voting.

I am faced with no choices - a dilemma

So I think it's now time to leave for another country, Here looks good

Edited by LiveinHope

HOLA4418

Next door in Twickenham constituency, same story Labour come nowhere. However Conservative don't get a look in, Lib Dem win by a landslide, Vince Cable is my local MP. I wouldn't normally consider voting Lib Dem, but I will as it's Vince, the voice of reason re HTB. Must write him a letter supporting his stance on this madness.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Nah, probably not.

Bottom line is that there isn't a piece of paper (apart from one thing) between Labour and the Tories.

HTB is a cynical move, but Labour probably wouldn't have behaved any differently. Similarly on spending.

The next election is a real crunch point for spending. The Tories have slowed things down a bit, but they haven't taken on anything major, and why would they ? it's really bad politics to mess with the entire public sector if you don't need to, and the economic situation has dictated that they don't need to.

Labour similarly have said that they cannot spend like they did before, I think some announcement was made 6 months or so back.

Things will continue the way they have done unless there is a major economic event. Both sides will cut slowly, by no more than they have to and throw the odd bone to their supporters, and with the Tories its htb, without doing too much to annoy the proles, like the minimum pricing on alcohol and trying to keep the fuel tax down. Both sides would have to enact some more major spending cuts during the next parliament, but they will do it one group at a time and try and spread them out over the course of the parliament to try and lessen the impact on their electoral chances.

What will distinguish the Tories from Labour at the next election will be their stance on Europe. The Tories will be forced to concede a referendum to ensure the loyalty of the right. My guess is Labour will refuse to say exactly what they will do. And that will be the decider.