House Price Crash Forum

Number Of Housing Benefit Claimants Soars Under Coalition

HOLA441

Very depressing..

Numbers soar

The latest figures from the Department for Work and Pensions show that the number of housing benefit claimants rose by 40,526 to 5.1 million in the year to May 2013, an increase of 320,738 since the coalition came to power. Of the total, nearly a million (987,610) are in work, a rise of 52 per cent (337,059) since May 2010.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
It's a reminder that by imposing punitive welfare cuts (the benefit cap, the bedroom tax), rather than addressing the underlying structural causes of the inflated housing benefit bill (substandard wages, the lack of affordable housing, long-term unemployment), the government will only increase the number forced to rely on state subsidy to stay in their homes.

Articles recognises the problems..

HOLA445

...the lack of affordable housing, long-term unemployment), the government will only increase the number (of landlords) forced to rely on state subsidy to stay in their homes. pay their mortgages

Thought I had to correct that..

HOLA446

Article's by blllocks lefties- the new statesman pfts

In percentage terms the rise is low and to my mind reflects the recent baby boom

Of course the lefties'solution is to wave the magic money wand, or something, not clear what they're saying really apart from pretending the last labour government was a fiscal success

HOLA447

Article's by blllocks lefties- the new statesman pfts

In percentage terms the rise is low and to my mind reflects the recent baby boom

Of course the lefties'solution is to wave the magic money wand, or something, not clear what they're saying really apart from pretending the last labour government was a fiscal success

It's more a case I believe of how to spend the money - either it can be spent propping up house prices - or it can be spent building houses - I know which one I prefer.

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

What money?

All that wealth generated by whining leftie employees sat on their asses all day thinking its them being exploited. You know, before they leave early to get into their cars and drive to a centrally heated house. 'That employer you know, doesn't do us any favours. Fat cats!', they say as their chair creaks with their weight before splintering as they crash to the floor. Before hitting the floor however they've dialled a number to sue the chair manufacturer. Those ones.

HOLA4419

All that wealth generated by whining leftie employees sat on their asses all day thinking its them being exploited. You know, before they leave early to get into their cars and drive to a centrally heated house. 'That employer you know, doesn't do us any favours. Fat cats!', they say as their chair creaks with their weight before splintering as they crash to the floor. Before hitting the floor however they've dialled a number to sue the chair manufacturer. Those ones.

Whining about whiners, priceless!

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

They're not increasing it though, would suggest you re read the thread and the meaning

I'm slightly baffled. You are quite comfortable with a rentier receiving a state subsidy? I'm glad HB has come down, as I think it puts a floor under the whole rental market.

Edited by aSecureTenant

HOLA4424

I'm slightly baffled. You are quite comfortable with a rentier receiving a state subsidy? I'm glad HB has come down, as I think it puts a floor under the whole rental market.

Agree with your sentiment here

Didn't mean to imply that

HOLA4425

How to debate righties.

1, ask 'where is the money is going?'

2, er, thats it

In answer to your jealousy of the capitalist rich, you think it is reasonable to mire your own children in debt, just so you can pretend to yourself that you engaged in some kind of spurious class warfare?