House Price Crash Forum

Oprah Winfrey Swiss Handbag Racism Row A "misunderstanding" Says Boutique Owner

HOLA441

See what you mean but even dressed like that, those are expensive glasses and ear-rings, a haircut as good as that is at least 2-300 chf over here, much more in the posh places, and the face shows a lot of clear signs of expensive surgery and makeovers. A pretty strange error IMO, it's impossible to be sure of the cause but easy to see how a black person could think it was racism.

That said, it's hardly a serious matter.

agreed. Personally, am pretty sure that it was indeed racism, but there are plenty of other more pertinent things to report.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

I don't suppose Oprah was dressed like a tramp, she probably wears designer clothes from head to foot, so what other reasons would you think the saleswoman would have for thinking she was too poor?

The law of averages would suggest she hasn't enough money to buy it, black or white, the fact she turned out to be one of the richest women in the world is just coincedence. I'm sure shop assistants the world over get loads of people trying to look at multi- thousand pound items of clothing/jewellery or whatever all the time with no intention of buying.

edited to add: it may or may not of been racist, who knows, at the very least a arsey sales assistant perhaps.

HOLA443

Does this really happen, or is it just made up to sound like a bit of the plot of Pretty Woman?

I've been in all kinds of shops and high-end car dealers dressed like a right tramp and never not been taken seriously. Although, having said that, I have had it more where I'm buying something in a shop, that I guess would rarely sell the higher ticket stuff or the checkout girl isn't accustomed to it. I have taken something to the till and the sales girl has said 'you know this is £600?' I usually reply something like 'yeah I did look at the £900 one but didn't like it as much'. Often it's more them being unable to understand why someone would spend so much on something like that rather than an assertion you can't afford it I think.

It is difficult to train staff to sell high-end stuff they often kill the sale by not handling the customer right. Generally serious spenders make buying decisions very quickly. If someone wants to see endless things out of a glass counter or test-drive loads of cars they're test pilots you just want rid of. Most common sale of a very expensive items is customer comes in and just says 'I want that one'. The staff are then a huge risk to losing that sale by mishandling things from then on. Since online sell way more high-end stuff than the bricks and mortar shops ever manage and I put it down to the absence of customer prevention personnel shop staff.

I do prefer things like family run car dealers and businesses for expensive purchases though as it's always seems less awkward buying something off someone who can afford it themselves.

HOLA444
HOLA445

Does this really happen, or is it just made up to sound like a bit of the plot of Pretty Woman?

I've been in all kinds of shops and high-end car dealers dressed like a right tramp and never not been taken seriously. Although, having said that, I have had it more where I'm buying something in a shop, that I guess would rarely sell the higher ticket stuff or the checkout girl isn't accustomed to it. I have taken something to the till and the sales girl has said 'you know this is £600?' I usually reply something like 'yeah I did look at the £900 one but didn't like it as much'. Often it's more them being unable to understand why someone would spend so much on something like that rather than an assertion you can't afford it I think.

It is difficult to train staff to sell high-end stuff they often kill the sale by not handling the customer right. Generally serious spenders make buying decisions very quickly. If someone wants to see endless things out of a glass counter or test-drive loads of cars they're test pilots you just want rid of. Most common sale of a very expensive items is customer comes in and just says 'I want that one'. The staff are then a huge risk to losing that sale by mishandling things from then on. Since online sell way more high-end stuff than the bricks and mortar shops ever manage and I put it down to the absence of customer prevention personnel shop staff.

I do prefer things like family run car dealers and businesses for expensive purchases though as it's always seems less awkward buying something off someone who can afford it themselves.

That is what I thought, totally concocted B.S, can`t figure out what they are trying to push though, Oprah? The Handbag?, the handbag shop?, Tina?, Switzerland? Who gives a F*uck really.

HOLA446

The law of averages would suggest she hasn't enough money to buy it, black or white, the fact she turned out to be one of the richest women in the world is just coincedence. I'm sure shop assistants the world over get loads of people trying to look at multi- thousand pound items of clothing/jewellery or whatever all the time with no intention of buying.

Yep, as I was saying in the previous post. It doesn't matter what the ticket price is or whether the customer can/can't afford it. Wanting to look at loads of stuff is a strong indication things aren't going to conclude with a sale.

I have actually intervened on several occasions and told celebrity types they can't try stuff out that has resulted in a bout of the do you know who I ams. I think a lot of celebrities deliberately do this hoping to be noticed. They go into shops hoping to be recognised and treated like royalty.

In fact quite a lot of the british population, in general, will be bereft of somewhere to go and feel superior to someone when shops disappear and assistants are replaced with automated tills.

HOLA447

youd have to be a pretty stupid shop assistant to make that call, when you mosey along the lake end of Bahnhofstrasse it doesnt exactly have the turnaround of clientele of McDonalds to A&F. theyre not employed to deal with customer numbers. Its not like they are inundated with shoppers

I dont know where she was shopping in Switzerland but i do know that any shop assistant on Bahnhofstrasse Zurich, La rue du Rhône Geneva , Bond street UK or Rodeo Drive in her home country just doesnt have the turnover of clientele to make that call on their commissions

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

youd have to be a pretty stupid shop assistant to make that call, when you mosey along the lake end of Bahnhofstrasse it doesnt exactly have the turnaround of clientele of McDonalds to A&F. theyre not employed to deal with customer numbers. Its not like they are inundated with shoppers

I dont know where she was shopping in Switzerland but i do know that any shop assistant on Bahnhofstrasse CH here , Bond street UK or Rodeo Drive in her home country just doesnt have the turnover of clientele to make that call on their commisions unless theyve been watching too many repeat of Pretty Woman

What commission would they get on a 25k handbag out of interest?

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

I wonder what sort of networth you need to have before spending 500k on watches seems like a reasonable thing to do.

Either that or a handy way to get 500k out of the country

:blink:

Pretty much!

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

I was in the Rolex store in the Mall of the Emirates in Dubai a while back, hanging around with interest to see which of the horrifically gaudy bejeweled timepieces the arab gentleman sat at one of the tables was going to choose.

Shortly he indicated to the attendant (scandinavian at a guess) that he would be taking all 5 of the ones on the table

Without even a flinch she boxed them up, bagged them and processed his card for £520k then, as you would I suppose, held the door open for him and wished him a good evening.

quite surreal

I guess the same scene has occurred in branches of Foxtons.

HOLA4423

I am filthy rich, and I dress as a tramp.

I want to buy nice clothes.

But they won't serve me, because I am dressed as a tramp.

No actually you are dressed as a woman! :blink:

I like those size eleven sling-backs! ;)

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Archived