House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Oprah Winfrey Swiss Handbag Racism Row A "misunderstanding" Says Boutique Owner

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/oprah-winfrey-handbag-racism-row-2145052

Trudie Gotz, the owner of the Trois Pommes boutique in Switzerland, has said that the incident between Oprah and a sales assistant was a "misunderstanding".

Winfrey said she was told by a shop assistant that a handbag would be "too expensive" for her to purchase. The chat show host and media mogul, 59, is one of the richest women in the world.

According to the BBC, Gotz said that Winfrey was "absolutely allowed" to look at the $35,000 (£22,500) bag behind the screen in the shop.

Jesus I wonder what the mark up is on bags like this!! £22.5k on a fecking handbag. For the elites it's another world.

Jesus I wonder what the mark up is on bags like this!! £22.5k on a fecking handbag. For the elites it's another world.

Hopefully the markup is huge because the people that pay that obviously don't need it.

That's nothing. The Luis Vuitton store in Zurich has one window full of handbags priced up to 45,000 CHF the last time I looked. The other window is full of handbags which have no prices in it, so presumably they just make up a price on the spot depending on who their client is. I would love to hang around outside and see just what sort of vacuous ******wit would go in there and buy one.

I have been into high end jewellery stores where they acted like they didn't want to serve me, and that was when I was looking at rolexes worth a few grand. If I'd asked to see the really pricey stuff I prob would have been told I couldn't afford it.

Of course I wouldn't have cried racism, but then I'm white so haven't spent my life feeling a victim and playing the race card.

I have been into high end jewellery stores where they acted like they didn't want to serve me, and that was when I was looking at rolexes worth a few grand. If I'd asked to see the really pricey stuff I prob would have been told I couldn't afford it.

Of course I wouldn't have cried racism, but then I'm white so haven't spent my life feeling a victim and playing the race card.

I don't suppose Oprah was dressed like a tramp, she probably wears designer clothes from head to foot, so what other reasons would you think the saleswoman would have for thinking she was too poor?

I don't suppose Oprah was dressed like a tramp, she probably wears designer clothes from head to foot, so what other reasons would you think the saleswoman would have for thinking she was too poor?

I wasn't dressed like a tramp either

Well OK, I wasn't suggesting that you were, let's forget your case, what do you think caused the saleswoman's error of judgement?

I'm going to assume Oprah was dressed in expensive designer gear, as she usually is, and that the saleswoman, being someone who works in the expensive accessories trade, was capable of recognising this.

You are much more like a white mouse, with one eye, than the rather more common brown mouse! You could have played the "disabled" card! :blink:

Well OK, I wasn't suggesting that you were, let's forget your case, what do you think caused the saleswoman's error of judgement?

I'm going to assume Oprah was dressed in expensive designer gear, as she usually is, and that the saleswoman, being someone who works in the expensive accessories trade, was capable of recognising this.

Maybe Oprah was acting like a snooty cow, and the sales assistant wanted to piss her off.

According to comments on another article I read on it Oprah often wonders around in sweat suits and slippers - as a quick google search for "oprah winfrey casual" shows

Oprah+Winfrey+Casual+Shoes+Slippers+NWfJTeXJgW7l.jpg

Maybe that would have swung it? :blink:

I was in the Rolex store in the Mall of the Emirates in Dubai a while back, hanging around with interest to see which of the horrifically gaudy bejeweled timepieces the arab gentleman sat at one of the tables was going to choose.

Shortly he indicated to the attendant (scandinavian at a guess) that he would be taking all 5 of the ones on the table

Without even a flinch she boxed them up, bagged them and processed his card for £520k then, as you would I suppose, held the door open for him and wished him a good evening.

quite surreal

I was in the Rolex store in the Mall of the Emirates in Dubai a while back, hanging around with interest to see which of the horrifically gaudy bejeweled timepieces the arab gentleman sat at one of the tables was going to choose.

Shortly he indicated to the attendant (scandinavian at a guess) that he would be taking all 5 of the ones on the table

Without even a flinch she boxed them up, bagged them and processed his card for £520k then, as you would I suppose, held the door open for him and wished him a good evening.

quite surreal

I guess time is precious there! :lol:

Maybe Oprah was acting like a snooty cow, and the sales assistant wanted to piss her off.

According to comments on another article I read on it Oprah often wonders around in sweat suits and slippers - as a quick google search for "oprah winfrey casual" shows

Oprah+Winfrey+Casual+Shoes+Slippers+NWfJTeXJgW7l.jpg

See what you mean but even dressed like that, those are expensive glasses and ear-rings, a haircut as good as that is at least 2-300 chf over here, much more in the posh places, and the face shows a lot of clear signs of expensive surgery and makeovers. A pretty strange error IMO, it's impossible to be sure of the cause but easy to see how a black person could think it was racism.

That said, it's hardly a serious matter.

I wonder what sort of networth you need to have before spending 500k on watches seems like a reasonable thing to do.

Either that or a handy way to get 500k out of the country

See what you mean but even dressed like that, those are expensive glasses and ear-rings, a haircut as good as that is at least 2-300 chf over here, much more in the posh places, and the face shows a lot of clear signs of expensive surgery and makeovers. A pretty strange error IMO, it's impossible to be sure of the cause but easy to see how a black person could think it was racism.

That said, it's hardly a serious matter.

Who knows it might have been racism, I doubt the store clerk actually thought "This black person can't afford expensive things"

I presume they are on commission of some sort.

My mother runs an expensive boarding school, and all the richest kids are African/Chinese/Russian...I'm sure high end shop staff are aware of their penchant for shiny/expensive baubles.

While we've heard a fair bit about the rise of far right and populist parties in Holland, France and Scandinavia in recent times Switzerland, which has an unusually large number of asylum seekers, seems to be the current focus of the media.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/swiss-introduce-apartheidlike-restrictions-local-authorities-ban-asylum-seekers-from-public-places-8750765.html

Switzerland plays host to almost double the number of asylum-seekers per head of population of its European neighbours. It counts one refugee for every 332 inhabitants, compared to one per 625 inhabitants on the rest of the continent. Some 48,000 refugees are currently seeking asylum in Switzerland. In June this year voters took part in a referendum which overwhelmingly backed moves to tighten asylum restrictions amid fears voiced by the popular right-wing Swiss People’s Party that the country was being inundated with refugees.

An attempt to avoid far right sentiment breaking out among the population?

Maybe she should be more respectful of the country she finds herself in. Not sure about Switzerland, but in Japan they have no so called 'civil rights' legislation and so are under no duty to serve her (or anyone else they dont want to serve)

quite surreal

Clearly a cheapskate as he should have asked for 3 more so he had one for each day plus a spare one for special occasions. :ph34r:

She should have thrown him out of the shop for wasting her time!!

£0.5m on five watches, did he have a bodyguard nearby?