Oprah Winfrey Swiss Handbag Racism Row A "misunderstanding" Says Boutique Owner

HOLA441
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443

Penfold is a hamster!!

Indeed! I wonder whether he has a Lebanese passport, because hamsters live in deserts! Or maybe Syria, therefore I would describe Penfold as more of a "mole"! :lol::blink:

HOLA444

The issue isn't racism. It's the appallingly unequal distribution of wealth and income.

Fifty million of Oprah's fellow citizens - many of them black - are on food stamps and she rubs their noses in it by buying this bag!

With $24,000 she could have helped a whole family live for a year. What a hypocrite.

HOLA445
HOLA446

The issue isn't racism. It's the appallingly unequal distribution of wealth and income.

Fifty million of Oprah's fellow citizens - many of them black - are on food stamps and she rubs their noses in it by buying this bag!

With $24,000 she could have helped a whole family live for a year. What a hypocrite.

What on earth makes a bag 'worth' $24,000?

I am an aspirational person. I believe in excellence. When someone does something better, it inspires me. This is in principle true of everything, be it a better mousetrap or a better bag. If one is going to make a bag, it is admirable to attempt to make the best bag in the world.

But...

What is special about this bag? Is it 'valuable' because it is the pinnacle of bagness? Or is it because it is encrusted with diamonds and other baubles?

Diamonds are both priceless and worthless. People who are hypnotised by such trinkets have lost all perspective of value and worth.

HOLA447

What on earth makes a bag 'worth' $24,000?

I am an aspirational person. I believe in excellence. When someone does something better, it inspires me. This is in principle true of everything, be it a better mousetrap or a better bag. If one is going to make a bag, it is admirable to attempt to make the best bag in the world.

But...

What is special about this bag? Is it 'valuable' because it is the pinnacle of bagness? Or is it because it is encrusted with diamonds and other baubles?

Diamonds are both priceless and worthless. People who are hypnotised by such trinkets have lost all perspective of value and worth.

$24,000 to Oprah is nothing though, and it might impress TT for a few seconds..

HOLA448

http://www.express.co.uk/news/showbiz/421832/I-didn-t-mean-for-it-to-blow-up-this-much-Oprah-Winfrey-apologises-for-racism-row

But the chat show queen has since apologised, revealing that she never thought it would blow up as much as it did.

"I think that incident in Switzerland was just an incident in Switzerland," she said at the Butler premiere in LA last night.

She said: "I cleaned up! I washed my hair and put on my Donna Karan skirt, because I know these people in stores can be very snooty pooty. So I thought, 'Let me dress so I don't get turned away', and it happened anyway. So I guess I didn't dress up enough.

"And I didn't have anything that said, 'I have money'. I wasn't wearing a diamond stud, I didn't have a pocketbook, I didn't wear a Louis Vuitton shoe. I didn't have anything - I just had a Donna Karan skirt, a top, and some sandals. You should be able to go in a store looking whatever you look like, and say, 'I want to see this'. That didn't happen."

"It's not an indictment against the country or even that store. No apologies necessary from the country of Switzerland," she said.

"If somebody makes a mistake in the United states are we apologising for the whole country? No!"

Looks like she got the publicity for the film for free.

From this it sounds like she dressed and gave the impression she didn't really have "money", if you where a shop assistant and had no idea who this person was I'm sure you'd be wary about handing over a uber expensive bag.

Although crazy that the Swiss nation offered up an apology for it all.

Archived