House Price Crash Forum

Pound Is Tanking Yet Again

BuyingBear

HOLA441
HOLA442

FT.com (in the news blog) are suggesting that the markets do not like the possibility of any further cuts in the UK interest rates, just as many on here have been suggesting for some weeks now. If the MPC hold at the next meeting, there could be another drop in the pound, especially if the Fed raises its rates.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

'Bears Pound Sterling On Lower Growth' by Richard Lee, Currency Analyst - November 17th, 2005, Daily FX.

http://www.dailyfx.com/index.php?option=co...keyword=article

Something tells me that this is only just the beginning. The rest of the world are on to us. Our economy sucks and they're bailing out, big time!

Freudian slip?

"As leaders attempt".

Is it suggested that Mr King and the MPC are therefore merely puppets?

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Can someone fill me in (though this is the sort of thing that could be on a wiki faq!!)

The pound went down cos the BoE said inflation wasn't too bad and therefore wont necessarily put interest rates up. Therefore no-one wants pounds. So far so good, but doesn't a weak pound make imports more expensive and lead to more inflation?? as everything gets more expensive? Or is this not a big effect??

HOLA4415

Gold is on its way to $500+. Silver to $8.25+

Correction... and then maybe MUCH higher in 2006

Dr Bubb ,I seem to remember you saying how you're heavily invested in precious metals and mining...ever since i've been on this forum i've wondered what is the best way to speculate on gold......

Do i buy the metal and if so how?....or do i buy shares in gold companies.....and if so in gold MINING companies........

Edited by Michael

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Started reading this thread and was gonna jump right in about the gold price.But time i got to the end it had been covered.

For some reason the full extend of the rises hasint been figured into bullion prices in the public yet.Though some has.

Soveriegns are selling around the 70-75 mark on average on ebay now for common date bullion coins, this is from about 60-65 a few months ago, so anyone with these have covered there buy/sell premiums and its profit all the way here on in.

Bullion bars have reduced in premium and now are often available for spot, however even with losing the premium there still up in price.

1kg silver bars are floating around the 200 pounds mark, up from 180 a few months ago.intrinsic value being only 150 pounds but as anyone knows silver is subject to 17.5% vat and import costs, thus it retains a higher premium over spot than gold.

tubes of silver eagles are selling now for near 180 pounds, there are 20x 1 ounce coins per tube.3 months ago these were going for 155 pounds.

My regular supplier last week put up the price of all his PM'S, i cleared him out of sovereigns for 63 to 65 pounds, this week he wants 70 pounds as a min, infact will be 75 now im sure.I got some halfs too at 35 these are now around 38/40 for your common date bullion coins.

Also i will mention most are not realy intrested in selling them just now, there are a lot more buyers around than sellers, this can only increase the price.In usa silver is like rocking horse shit in all coin dealer shops, they would sell you it if they had it but anything they get aint even hitting the cabinets its already put aside for there favourite customers.

Personal opinion

PM'S have further to go before much corrections, it already has just pulled back sharply from a correction that lost steam fast.So its gonna increase some more before any correction prob hit 500 usd ounce then wobble a bit then it will sharply jump up them.By this time especially at 500 many more are gonna take notice of gold and the intrest will magnify, so i wouldnt wait for a correction to buy i would buy now.

Silver i think could be the bargain of the decade at this price, it is gaining price stronger than gold, it has just dropped below the 60x ratio to gold price, this is seen as a strong break out and i suspect the ratio will continue to drop down to the historical 30x ratio.

HOLA4418

I have never had more than 1% of my assets in Gold or Silver.

But I have often had more than 80% in mining shares.

The returns that I have been making blow away anything you will see from any Fund

offered by the spivs in the City. But you have to break the rules, and also enjoy quite

alot of luck to get them

Re-your mining shares, Dr Bubb.............. Although these can be volatile, many mining companies especially those who mine precious metals ''hedge'' their future production..........meaning large falls or increases in the market price of the product aren't reflected in the companies' profits and shareprices.....

So in a rising maket your gold mining shares may not rise as much as the price of gold........

and at the moment i'd rather hold the asset itself.............

HOLA4419

Re-your mining shares, Dr Bubb.............. Although these can be volatile, many mining companies especially those who mine precious metals ''hedge'' their future production..........meaning large falls or increases in the market price of the product aren't reflected in the companies' profits and shareprices.....

So in a rising maket your gold mining shares may not rise as much as the price of gold........

and at the moment i'd rather hold the asset itself.............

i agree.

the reason to hold gold and for its rise is due to a lack of trust in currency and paper assets. why hold paper shares for something that is being mined when you can hold it in your hand. it is a much safer bet.

100k of bullion is better than a 100k of shares that could at any moment could be worth just the paper they are wrote on.

dr bubb has obviously done very well in his shares and made excellent profits, but with that comes time and research in picking the right choices. for those who just want too feel safe and hold an asset that will go up in value and protect them, then bullion IMO is a wiser choice.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Nearing 1.70 as we speak.

I would not be surprised to see a 1c drop today. I have noticed the last couple of days the pound has drop suddenly at 14:00, when to US markets open. It will be interesting to see if it happens again today. If it does then down 1c is not an unrealistic expectation.

HOLA4423

where can you buy bullion?

Also I heard that platinum will be in more demand due to new technologies emerging, same is true for gold.

www.goldline.co.uk

you can buy silver bullion as well without taking delivery, which means you dont pay the VAT. minimum investment 5k.

Edited by debtfree