House Price Crash Forum

Cod & Chips Hits £5.

Harry Monk

HOLA441
HOLA442

I think anyone saying it's cheaper than a fiver to cook at it home isn't factoring in all the costs of oil etc. Not to mention washing up.

There is a mobile fresh fish and chip van near me that travels to different places around surrounding area....they often park up in local pub carparks, you can order your meal and have a pint while you wait for it to be freshly cooked...win for the pub and the fish and chips.....low outgoings so costs can be passed onto the customers.....good size fresh thick flaky cod and plenty of chips cooked in clean oil for £5.30, they do haddock and plaice as well as chicken, sausage and fish cakes. :)

HOLA443

£3.50 here too for medium cod, also cooked to order. You have to wait but it's lovely. But it's gone up in price and this once crowded chippy is now only fairly crowded, no queues out the door anymore.

edit to add: I've given up ordering chips anymore, partly because it's too pricey with chips and partly as a nod to knocking back on cholesterol,

HOLA444
HOLA445

I no longer believe in cod. I'm hakeist.

I can't remember the last time I saw cod and chips for under a fiver in the places I've lived in. To me it's not a cheap takeaway, unless you're getting items like battered sausage in place of fish. I find chippy chips are never as delicious as I expect them to be; they soon seem waxen, sallow, stodgy and soggy. Quite nice cold, though.

HOLA446
HOLA447

I can't remember the last time I saw cod and chips for under a fiver in the places I've lived in. To me it's not a cheap takeaway, unless you're getting items like battered sausage in place of fish. I find chippy chips are never as delicious as I expect them to be; they soon seem waxen, sallow, stodgy and soggy. Quite nice cold, though.

They went downhill when they dropped beef dripping as started frying in unhealthy cancerous, immune system suppressing, rancid industrial veg oil.

Then again just a small cod (or whatever it is these days in batter) is more than filling. Can't believe the pig outs I've had in the past.

Local chippy you have to wait for cod, and you get something else as bog standard fish.

HOLA448

One chippy near me, fish, chips and peas is £2.70, up from £2.50 a few months ago ad £2.25 last year, but I believe it might be pollock.

Quite a lot of chippies round here though. So there is a lot of competition, wouldn't be surprised if it were cod to be honest. Some of the chippies that aren't in the town centre charge more. And a few in town charge £4. Sit down and eat in with a drink for £5.

HOLA449

One chippy near me, fish, chips and peas is £2.70, up from £2.50 a few months ago ad £2.25 last year, but I believe it might be pollock.

Quite a lot of chippies round here though. So there is a lot of competition, wouldn't be surprised if it were cod to be honest. Some of the chippies that aren't in the town centre charge more. And a few in town charge £4. Sit down and eat in with a drink for £5.

HOLA4410

I've recently become a fan of Lidl's Oven Cook Chunky Cod / Haddock in batter- £2.49 for 500g of mostly fish, and the batter's pretty good- and I speak as someone who absolutely loves batter! That was until I found Sainsburys Basic Battered Fish Pieces for 88p for 400g- accordingt o the decription, "Atlantic Pollock, still plenty of tasty fish" (or similar).

Thanks to the cheaper price I was able to justify eating a pack- as a top-up to my evening meal- at least twice a week. But I've finally decided that they're quite unpleasantly salty, for no apparent reason. So I guess I'll go back to the Lidl stuff for a protein fix on my workout days.

Most Wetherspoon pubs do a plate of cod, chips, and peas with a cup of tea for ~£4.50 on weekday afternoons. Last time I had it it appeared to be genuinely freshly battered and deep fried. I had no complaints whatsoever for the price.

HOLA4411

Anyone else notice their once reliable chippy has more than once (but not enough to rouse suspicion) chucked in a slightly manky cod? Had this once, the cod wasn't off but clearly wasn't the freshest, but forgave them because it's usually top notch. Happened again recently but I've forgiven them again.

HOLA4412

Anyone else notice their once reliable chippy has more than once (but not enough to rouse suspicion) chucked in a slightly manky cod? Had this once, the cod wasn't off but clearly wasn't the freshest, but forgave them because it's usually top notch. Happened again recently but I've forgiven them again.

Sounds a bit paranoid TBH.

HOLA4413

If you're paying less than a Fiver then It's probably Basa or Vietnamese river cobbler -ala horse meat scandal..

Basa in the UK

Basa has become fairly common in the UK under the name "Vietnamese river cobbler" or just "river cobbler". It is mainly being sold through the large supermarkets in both fresh and frozen forms. It is marketed as a cheaper alternative to traditionally popular white fish, such as cod or haddock. Young's Bluecrest use it in some of their frozen fish products, choosing to use the name basa instead of cobbler.

UK Trading Standards officers have stated cobbler is being fraudulently sold as cod by some fish and chip retailers to capitalise on the large difference in the wholesale price between the two, i.e., cobbler costs less than half the price of cod. This practice was highlighted by the successful prosecution of two retailers (using DNA evidence) one in July 2009, and another in April 2010

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basa_fish

HOLA4414

If you're paying less than a Fiver then It's probably Basa or Vietnamese river cobbler -ala horse meat scandal..

Basa in the UK

Basa has become fairly common in the UK under the name "Vietnamese river cobbler" or just "river cobbler". It is mainly being sold through the large supermarkets in both fresh and frozen forms. It is marketed as a cheaper alternative to traditionally popular white fish, such as cod or haddock. Young's Bluecrest use it in some of their frozen fish products, choosing to use the name basa instead of cobbler.

UK Trading Standards officers have stated cobbler is being fraudulently sold as cod by some fish and chip retailers to capitalise on the large difference in the wholesale price between the two, i.e., cobbler costs less than half the price of cod. This practice was highlighted by the successful prosecution of two retailers (using DNA evidence) one in July 2009, and another in April 2010

Had some fish from a f and c shop advertised as cod that plainly wasnt cod, it was either whiting or cobbler and it was so cobblers they lost me as a customer.

HOLA4415

Don't very often get fish and chips but I usually cheapskate....Either £3.50 for mini cod and chips or look for the alternatives a large pollock, hoki or hake for under two quid.

HOLA4416

They went downhill when they dropped beef dripping as started frying in unhealthy cancerous, immune system suppressing, rancid industrial veg oil.

I thought they all started using vegetable oils because people refused to eat animal fat following health scares. It always amuses me to see the health argument go full circle :lol:.

HOLA4417

Basa in the UK

That first statement is an incorrect generalisation.

Archived