House Price Crash Forum

Sonia Says: ‘Uk Rates Are (Possibly) Coming Down’

HOLA441
With all the excitement in Spain and Greece of late, it’s been easy to miss a rather big move in British interest rate expectations.

Consider this chart of the November MPC SONIA index future. According to friends in sterling overnight markets, the pricing here suggests a roughly 45 per cent chance of a UK base rate cut, come November.

http://ftalphaville.ft.com/blog/2012/05/28/1018831/sonia-says-uk-rates-are-possibly-coming-down/

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

That probably explains why the markets are slightly up, that or the potential for a "Euro-wide solution to the Spanish crisis" (i.e. muchos-printias).

I have no idea why anyone would think a drop in interest rates would be significant, let alone fix any problems though. I guess markets respond in the way they've been conditioned to but in reality no-one is going to borrow at 0.25% what they wouldn't at 0.5%. If anything it makes TPTB look increasingly desperate and like they're out of ideas.

HOLA446

Savings accounts are currently paying way over the 0.5% base rate. It's easy to get 3%+ on savings.

BoE cuts rate to 0.25%. Savings account rates are cut by a corresponding amount. That 3% becomes 2.75% overnight. Not beyond the realms of impossibility, shirley?

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

That probably explains why the markets are slightly up, that or the potential for a "Euro-wide solution to the Spanish crisis" (i.e. muchos-printias).

I have no idea why anyone would think a drop in interest rates would be significant, let alone fix any problems though. I guess markets respond in the way they've been conditioned to but in reality no-one is going to borrow at 0.25% what they wouldn't at 0.5%. If anything it makes TPTB look increasingly desperate and like they're out of ideas.

+1, at 0.5% they are effectively on the floor, it matters not whether they are a very tiny bit above the floor, or a incy-wincy bit above the floor, they are still effectively on the floor", this will have absolutely no impact. The talking heads on the various investment channels however will note the significance of the historic move and demonstrate how this will add 1.08141281 - 1.08141291% (don't want be foolish an not allow for some wiggle room in the guestimate) to GDP.

Edited by Guest

HOLA4410

When/if Greece (or maybe one of the other PIIS exit) there will be a massive and a mean massive central bank invention by the Fed/BoE/BoJ/ECB etc.. all cutting rates.... The BoE may slash interest rates half and go for 0.25%. For those already near the bottom I have no idea if they'll go negative or that they will just sit a 0% but I think this will be the plan of action.

Once you are close to 0% there's not much more you can do other than go negative or printy printy.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

I thought the boost was due to new polls in Greece that said a pro-austerity party was now in the lead (although nowhere near enough support to form a majority govt).

FTSE is in negative territory now any way.

HOLA4413

Which Bigwig was it who said that maintaining BoE IRs at the current level beyond 2012 would show that the UK's economy is in deep poo? So if they lower the rates than we must be saved...

Well Jonathan Davis said something along the lines of "If they raise rates we're toast, and if they don't raise rates it's because we're toast". IIRC.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

When/if Greece (or maybe one of the other PIIS exit) there will be a massive and a mean massive central bank invention by the Fed/BoE/BoJ/ECB etc.. all cutting rates.... The BoE may slash interest rates half and go for 0.25%. For those already near the bottom I have no idea if they'll go negative or that they will just sit a 0% but I think this will be the plan of action.

Once you are close to 0% there's not much more you can do other than go negative or printy printy.

you missed out the SNB who like the Japs are already there, but as highlighted elsewhere Banco De Brasil are still offering a very reasonable 12% if you can find one of their passports down your sofa

Edited by Georgia O'Keeffe

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Will the lenders pass it on though? To borrowers I think not. To savers, certainly.

Well Halifax will have to pass it onto me as the 2% collar they tried to impose was deemed "unfair" (they missed it off the Key Facts document :lol: ) so looks like my £58 a month mortgage might get even cheaper :D

What a mess this country is in!

HOLA4419

This is surely a sign of total desperation and the fact the market is about to collapse.

Interest rates are already at 300 year low and have been for 3 years now.

That simple fact tells you all you need to know about any recovery and about house prices and also about the people in control of our every day lives.

HOLA4420

Well Halifax will have to pass it onto me as the 2% collar they tried to impose was deemed "unfair" (they missed it off the Key Facts document :lol: ) so looks like my £58 a month mortgage might get even cheaper :D

What a mess this country is in!

I will save £155 in interest per month if rates go down to zero, and then only pay 0.63% interest on my mortgage. So bring it on, and leave it at Zero for 21 more years, then I will have repaid my mortgage almost interest free.

Edited by Lion

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

This is surely a sign of total desperation and the fact the market is about to collapse.

Interest rates are already at 300 year low and have been for 3 years now.

That simple fact tells you all you need to know about any recovery and about house prices and also about the people in control of our every day lives.

They can still hit 0% and print more. Clearly the problem is they haven't been low enough and central banks haven't printed enough. In the new paradigm this will work, it has to its the new paradigm, it's modern economics where too big to fail can't fail. Rejoice in the new reality.

HOLA4424

The lucky few with good jobs and BOE base rate tracker lifetime mortgages continue to benefit from the crashing economy.

Once again this happens a few months after scare articles in the popular media about ditching your tracker mortgage now for a fix. I hope the sheeple didn't fall for it.

I wonder what will happen to Evildodgybank BOE but not BOE rate tracker mortgages though. They are probably stuffed.

HOLA4425

I will save £155 in interest per month if rates go down to zero, and then only pay 0.63% interest on my mortgage. So bring it on, and leave it at Zero for 21 more years, then I will have repaid my mortgage almost interest free.

Twenty one years before you pay off your mortgage? I'd get it paid off PDQ if I were you.