House Price Crash Forum

Private Rents Dropping To Social Rent Levels In Yorkshire

HOLA441

But what of the state and idle whom derive unearned income from current allocation of housing and land, it is they whom hold power, and I doubt that they will give it up freely.

At the moment its like the end of a game of monopoly, when the "winner" has all the all the hotels and everyone else can't help landing on them, and the only respite is the "pass go and collect £200" when you can guarantee you will be immediately required to hand it over to the rentier. Or better still "go directly to jail." At least you are not paying rent in the chockie!

A clever guy on here explained QE as basically extending the monopoly game. The loosers would be given IOU's indefinetly, however from such a position it would not be possible for any of the debtors to win the game. They would go round the board endlessly racking up debt (IOU's). Strictly speaking to extend the game, you would need release or redistribute the properties, hotels and houses (or extend the board and get new ones).

Sadly I think it will require violence for those in "power" go give up their land.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

Well done Steed.

This year I'm going to send emails to all local councillors complaining about rent rises, I'll ask those on the group formed to fight against transfer to do the same.

Next year more will write....and so on.

1% wage rises set against 7% rent rises. I can't quite put my finger on it but there's a problem there somewhere.

Well, is this what we're headed for?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/panorama/hi/front_page/newsid_9694000/9694094.stm

Interestingly there's an item on car sleepers from the good old days of 2008.

Edited by council dweller

HOLA443

Put a price on all that extra stuff.

Well, the monetary value of an assured tenancy is essentially 30-50% of the property value. It's not dissimilar to a leasehold title with a higher service charge (in return for more landlord obligations) with the limitation that it's not freely assignable and can't be indefinitely extended past the life of the tenant in most cases.

HOLA444

Well done Steed.

This year I'm going to send emails to all local councillors complaining about rent rises, I'll ask those on the group formed to fight against transfer to do the same.

1% wage rises set against 7% rent rises. I can't quite put my finger on it but there's a problem there somewhere.

Well, is this what we're headed for?

http://news.bbc.co.u...000/9694094.stm

Interestingly there's an item on car sleepers from the good old days of 2008.

I am going to do the same, writing to local councillors and MP's. I'm going to become quite politically active in the local social housing realm, and tried to get myself on the scrutiny committee of the local housing body with manages the local housing stock, however I was too late for this year. However I can still make suggestions. I think my tone will be more advisory rather than an outright complaining, but mentioning wage rise information I think will be worthwhile. Someone on NMW hit with a 7% rise will be hit very hard.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

These cuts in Housing Benefit are only the start, many more to come!

Yep, and they are still being rolled out to everyone who will be affected. On top of that there'll be an increase in accidental LLs, and add to that an increase in BTL (increasing supply) and more renters signing up to buy newbuilds with the mortgage indemnity guarantee scheme from March (lowering demand). I'd bet good money that rents will end the this year the same or lower than they started it.

HOLA448

I am going to do the same, writing to local councillors and MP's. I'm going to become quite politically active in the local social housing realm, and tried to get myself on the scrutiny committee of the local housing body with manages the local housing stock, however I was too late for this year. However I can still make suggestions. I think my tone will be more advisory rather than an outright complaining, but mentioning wage rise information I think will be worthwhile. Someone on NMW hit with a 7% rise will be hit very hard.

I wrote to Andrew Lansley...no reply although they are supposed to answer. Too busy cocking up the NHS no doubt.

Yes it's certainly worthwhile becoming more politically active during these uncertain times, I'm on our Parish Council too. I don't really do too much but I do try to look after this estate, currently pressing for a new road and trees to be cut downs . I'm on the planning commitee too....at times I have quite an impact, even for an untouchable.

Not too many on NMW around here. Most are on 7.00 to 7.50 per hour so if NMW goes up by 4% (?) they are better off relatively. I suppose that in 3 or 4 years time I'll be on NMW too! Something to look forward to.....

HOLA449

Well done Steed.

And say what exactly? "I am *entitled* to cheap rent, don't you basturds know that?", or maybe "I am now worse off than I was last year, that should not be allowed!", or "My accommodation was never subsidised, how dare you remove the subsidy?", or even "My children were going to inherit this house I never paid for, but just what is the point when everyone else's kids can turn up and rent one for the same rent as mine."

I am sure they'll have a really good laugh before they politely bin your correspondence. They might even get as far as replying: The county is running a Greek-style deficit, and the parliament voted not to continue handing out taxpayers' money to people who don't need it. Please get used to, or maybe try voting for some other party. Assuming you can find one willing to reverse all this, which you won't be able to for there is no money left. Have a nice day, please leave us alone, and don't forget to pay the rent on time.

Maybe a bit harsh, but in the end it's probably time you faced the reality? Many others do already, and it's not exactly pretty.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

It's not really so much about me, after all I'm going to do the RTB (no need for a mortgage)

How's that for facing reality?

I'm not sure RTB would apply to me, as I've not been a social tenant for long. Also the housing body might have restrictions on sale of ground floor flats, reserving them for those with access problems. However I don't have access issues and they were happy to rent me the property.

The only property in my block sold at peak for £28k, so with or without an FTB discount it would be viable to buy, but as its flats the matter of a monthly management charge would need to be considered. If they slapped a £150 a month management charge on (for example) it would be too expensive, though not as bad as shared equity.

Edited by "Steed"

HOLA4413

And say what exactly? "I am *entitled* to cheap rent, don't you basturds know that?", or maybe "I am now worse off than I was last year, that should not be allowed!", or "My accommodation was never subsidised, how dare you remove the subsidy?", or even "My children were going to inherit this house I never paid for, but just what is the point when everyone else's kids can turn up and rent one for the same rent as mine."

Not convinced its that subsidised, given that most of the council houses (or corporation houses as they were called up here) were mostly completed in the late 60's when land and building costs were very low.

The debt on social housing is low around £16-17k a property IIRC. Its entirely possible they are maintained inefficiently by local authorities, for instance any building work on mine is carried out by Kirklees Building Services, as opposed to private contractors.

leicestersq will be along shortly to say it should all be sold to the "highest bidder" whatever that means, attaching even more debt to social housing. They may well end up stuck with it.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Is it full of nubile girls in jodhpurs who enjoy a nice muzzle?

alas no, its full of bearded old asians and chavs!

Nah, he owns. I meant that 2 beds are grotty, so what's a 1 bed like in comparison and why should it be that price in Yorkshire?

don't really understand this question?? obviously at the bottom of the market you get the bottom in terms of quality...i pay £350pcm for a 1 bed in huddersfield..its not by any means grotty, in fact quite nice, but its not 'luxury'...the converted mill 'apartments' with stylish kitchens are about £450pcm..so it depends what you want/need, as it does anywhere I guess..

HOLA4416

alas no, its full of bearded old asians and chavs!

don't really understand this question?? obviously at the bottom of the market you get the bottom in terms of quality...i pay £350pcm for a 1 bed in huddersfield..its not by any means grotty, in fact quite nice, but its not 'luxury'...the converted mill 'apartments' with stylish kitchens are about £450pcm..so it depends what you want/need, as it does anywhere I guess..

Well its a different type of quality, I now pay £260 a month the carncil in Kirklees, was paying £520 pcm for my trendy two bed, converted mill apartment. OK not quite like for like, none of the latest appliances, no concierge, no private gym, no trendy halogen down lighters and en suites, just a basic flat, with typically "robust" council fitments but in a pretty decent area, overlooking the Holme Valley. I would think £350 "about right. " I doubt the private rented accomodation at £290 a month would even match the quality of my flat, but I don't know. I've not seen inside them. However the point is that with Kirklees's continued rises we could see private fall below social rented.

Edited by "Steed"

HOLA4417

£295 a month to rent a house in Yorkshire? Bargain!

Just checked the rented houses where I live. Not much in the way of drops in rents but there are a few 'half price' and free application fees. Seems that Letting Agents are under pressure from landlords to get homes rented out again. :D

HOLA4418

Reading resident reporting in.

Don't know what the heck is going on, but there are a loads, LOADS of rentals advertised at the mo. It's more than I've ever seen available. Some asking rent prices look lower than I'd expect, but there is still a gap between the 800 mark and the 1100 mark

I think (and I'm willing to be corrected) It's down to the Poles, I took the children to McDonalds (The one opposite hobbycraft) and it seemed like all the staff were local and I do keep hearing people complain that they can't get Polish builders anymore.

HOLA4419

I think (and I'm willing to be corrected) It's down to the Poles, I took the children to McDonalds (The one opposite hobbycraft) and it seemed like all the staff were local and I do keep hearing people complain that they can't get Polish builders anymore.

You know I've never known "foreign" or East European labour in a Macdonalds. The employees in our local MacD's are all Yorkshire, or "Asian" Yorkshire. Perhaps in central London, but even in Romford they seemed to be Essex guys and girls.

HOLA4420

You know I've never known "foreign" or East European labour in a Macdonalds. The employees in our local MacD's are all Yorkshire, or "Asian" Yorkshire. Perhaps in central London, but even in Romford they seemed to be Essex guys and girls.

Try KFC at marsh..they are ALL ALWAYS foreign..its bizarre..its like they have a policy of only employing foreign people..

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Correct me if i'm wrong but aren't some of these cheap rentals what they call 'underdwellings' round those parts?

As you are near the Pennines, you get some real hills there (not soft Southern bumps, no - think Hovis advert :D).

So they would construct a three storey building cut into the hillside.

Top two floors was sold as a normal terrace for up & coming Victorian aspirational set.

That left a basement below with windows at the front which was sold/ rented to less well off.

Never been in one, but I know there are lots in the Huddersfield area.

Will be OK if refurbed properly, but don't know about any damp or sound/heat insulation problems.

They did pack 'em in in them days - thank God we have Barratt Homes nowadays! :D Three storeys and not a hillside in sight.

HOLA4423

Correct me if i'm wrong but aren't some of these cheap rentals what they call 'underdwellings' round those parts?

As you are near the Pennines, you get some real hills there (not soft Southern bumps, no - think Hovis advert :D).

Top two floors was sold as a normal terrace for up & coming Victorian aspirational set.

That left a basement below with windows at the front which was sold/ rented to less well off.

Will be OK if refurbed properly, but don't know about any damp or sound/heat insulation problems.

They did pack 'em in in them days - thank God we have Barratt Homes nowadays! :D Three storeys and not a hillside in sight.

Yup and I think there are some near me as I'm on a steep hill (valley). Also Calderdale, Hebden Bridge area quite a few

In fact there are four story terrace nearby on the A616, but two terraces on top of one another., the back wall of the underdwelling set into the hillside.

Edited by "Steed"

HOLA4424

Yup and I think there are some near me as I'm on a steep hill (valley). Also Calderdale, Hebden Bridge area quite a few

In fact there are four story terrace nearby on the A616, but two terraces on top of one another., the back wall of the underdwelling set into the hillside.

Steed, You live up the road from The Railway at Berry Brow I gather. If you like Rhythm and Blues live music go watch the band next Saturday night. I'll be there and will buy you a pint.

HOLA4425

Wasn't that filmed somewhere like Dorset?