House Price Crash Forum

Newsnight - On The Verge Of A Perfect Storm

HOLA441

Feck, watching Newsnight now I am beginning to worry if I have enough baked beans in.

2 to 3 weeks from a banking crisis worse than 2008 that will start in Europe and spread to the UK, US, Japan and around the World.

Big debate now whether UK banks are capitalised enough to withstand this - i.e how much exposure they have to CDSs in Europe.

Yank Economist saying that the UK might not be exposed as much to Europe, although we don't know re the above, but that we have no idea how exposed UK banks are to Ireland.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

Feck, watching Newsnight now I am beginning to worry if I have enough baked beans in.

2 to 3 weeks from a banking crisis worse than 2008 that will start in Europe and spread to the UK, US, Japan and around the World.

Big debate now whether UK banks are capitalised enough to withstand this - i.e how much exposure they have to CDSs in Europe.

Yank Economist saying that the UK might not be exposed as much to Europe, although we don't know re the above, but that we have no idea how exposed UK banks are to Ireland.

Don't worry, it's the first live X factor at the weekend

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

Yes, but apparently it is going to clash with Strictly, surely this needs some intervention....

No...... this is getting serious,

I would like to see all the people who warned us this EU disaster would happen get more credit... it is all so fickle!

HOLA446

No...... this is getting serious,

I would like to see all the people who warned us this EU disaster would happen get more credit... it is all so fickle!

I am sorry to confirm that it is true there is going to be a 35 minute overlap this very weekend :o

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2045385/X-Factor-v-Strictly-Come-Dancing-2011-TV-ratings-battle-heats-again.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Thankfully most of the people affected will be fully signed up Sky members so they will be able to rescue the situation via the magic of the Sky + box hopefully this will be enough to avoid a major catastrophe but only time will tell....

HOLA447

I am sorry to confirm that it is true there is going to be a 35 minute overlap this very weekend :o

http://www.dailymail...o=feeds-newsxml

Thankfully most of the people affected will be fully signed up Sky members so they will be able to rescue the situation via the magic of the Sky + box hopefully this will be enough to avoid a major catastrophe but only time will tell....

I'm not sure I'll be able to sleep now

fingers crossed, I so like that Robinson bloke, Louis is a genius!

edit: Sorry TMT, back to your post, I think they're right, one commentator on there the other day said we are eing taken through it step by step because the end result will cause panic.... a bit like cattle being taken to the slaughter house!

Edited by robo1968

HOLA448

I expect Cameron will intervene and get BBC/ITV to see sense and amend their schedules accordingly.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Not looking too great. The minute we get newspapers running front page headlines saying "Pay off your debt to save the economy", you know it's game over and it's been dead and burried months ago. Pathetic! :lol:

State failure and a broken financial system is what we've got. IMO, it won't be fixed either.

Shotguns and beans time. ;)

Edited by Wait & See

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

`

edit: Sorry TMT, back to your post, I think they're right, one commentator on there the other day said we are eing taken through it step by step because the end result will cause panic.... a bit like cattle being taken to the slaughter house!

The thing is, say the shit is about to hit the fan. What exactly are people expecting to happen?

Ok sothe Eurozone goes tits up, the UK banks are dragged into the mire what does that mean to the people on the street?

Sorry for sounding thick but I really dont know and cant even really speculate.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

The thing is, say the shit is about to hit the fan. What exactly are people expecting to happen?

Ok sothe Eurozone goes tits up, the UK banks are dragged into the mire what does that mean to the people on the street?

Ask yourself if we can afford another round of bailouts and then remind yourself of Northern Rock customers waiting in long lines.

Edited by Wait & See

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Ask yourself if we can afford another round of bailouts and then remind yourself of Northern Rock customers waiting in long lines.

No, we cant afford the bailouts (unless we get some new money printing machines asap) but what does that mean to the person on the street?

They will still be able to walk down the street and go buy some food? Or will inflation go mental or will the supply networks break down?

I genuinely am intregued (if I could spell it! :)) as from my point of view little would actually change

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

No, we cant afford the bailouts (unless we get some new money printing machines asap) but what does that mean to the person on the street?

They will still be able to walk down the street and go buy some food? Or will inflation go mental or will the supply networks break down?

I genuinely am intregued (if I could spell it! :)) as from my point of view little would actually change

If the bailout computer says no, then it's banks going under and probably runs galore..............

HOLA4420

lol, I forgot about the last weapon of mass destruction..........the BOE printing press!

If it's printy again, then how will they explain away that £20 loaf of bread??

bread to be removed from sample shopping basket and replaced with iPads and LG flat screen tv's. Simples!

HOLA4421

Are you the Tory Treasury Minister?

Go on....you can tell us.....nobody reads these posts anyway.

It was that credit easing thing that did it wasn't it........

HOLA4422

I think everybodys being a bit negative on here .

We should listen to what U TURN Dave said today and get behind the Great British Recovery . Don't quite know what it is he expects us to get behind but i am willing.

And don't forget our economy grew at a massive rate last quarter a stagering 0.01% .

HOLA4423

Are you the Tory Treasury Minister?

Go on....you can tell us.....nobody reads these posts anyway.

It was that credit easing thing that did it wasn't it........

I wish :)

Sadly despite my lack of knowledge I think I know more than most of our elected representives.

But I am still failing to understand the implications of say:

a) Greece going bust

B) Italy next

c) Ireland/Spain/Portugal joining in the party

For Mr average on the street, what is it going to mean?

HOLA4424

the first thing that will happen is without warning your cash machine will not work. there will be a group of people around who cards also dont work. so you go to another cash point and your card doesnt work. neither do the pay at the pump petrol dispensers, shop machines and online purchasers. cash only. when you visit your branch you will find it to be closed for the day. rumors start on the rolling news. later in the day the government announce they have taken the emergency steps to stop panic and the collapse of the uk banking system by limiting the maximum withdrawal to £20 per day per card. or cash from a bank. this also is aimed to stop panic buying at essential supply chains.

at that point the cash in your pocket is all you have. you would be wise to withdraw £1000 of it now and hide it in your house.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuB3uY5K7Kg

Edited by right_freds_dead

HOLA4425

Their saying on sky something about shoring up the banks, is that the same as stealing money from the public by diluting it's value and giving it to the banks? Surely without printing we see the true value of these companies, banks and their employees that are paid million upon millions of pounds. Take sainsburys, even though its boss is on millions a year he couldn't do nothing to stop the share price falling and sales to be down. After the last printing escapade the companies shed jobs and everyone at the top seemed to get pay rises like they had done something great, surely if their going to steal from the public the people at the top should take pay cuts this time.