House Price Crash Forum

The Allotment Thread

garybug

HOLA441

Just a thought, but if you're falling behind for this season, and that'll be perfectly normal in the circumstances, and you want to use as much of the plot productively as possible, you might want to think about starting off some squash/ pumpkins, (I like butternut). They'll take as much room as you give them.

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443

Thanks Sarah, good ideas. Thing is, I'm not a massive potato eater! I did buy a few rows worth of seed potatoes (can't remember the variety) so will get them in asap.

What is a good mulch material in the absence of an established compost heap etc? I've seen straw mentioned somewhere, and that seems like quite a clean & attractive option, although I can't imagine there's much nutrient in it? It's too late for manure I think, unless I can find a source of well-rotted stuff, which I don't think is very easy...?

Straw if you can find it. A local dog boarding kennels has it and he's lovely enough to offer to deliver for free.

Grass clippings - mow the lawn and take it to the plot.

Shredded paper (soak it and it won't blow away)

Spent hops if you have a local small brewery - although they will be quite wet they do dry out quickly.

After that it's probably bought in stuff. I am a miser.

Manure can often be collected free from stables. Ring up the ones nearest. Or ask on the site where they get it from.

But if you have nice neighbours who also mow their lawn you could be collecting that and layering it with cardboard to create nice compost heap.

Nicky in Devon who is the compost guru reckons it's a brilliant compost.

Start your compost heap ASAP.

Put your docks and dandelion roots in either a bucket of water to drown them or black plastic bags to kill them. It takes a while.

HOLA444

There's one bloke with a plot near to mine who's already laid everything out for the season ahead; tomato canes, bean trenches, bean poles, net trellises for cucumbers, all perfectly measured out, every square inch of soil ground to a fine tilth. No weeds in sight. He has had the plot for eight years though.

We have one like that.

He did poison his soil by using creocote on his edging boards though.

Never accept anything off plots where they use nasty chemicals - and watch out for those who apply slug pellets constantly too. Don't eat it!

HOLA445

Good call - I find most squashes quite bland and watery, but butternuts are very tasty and quite versatile, I might well give them a go!

potimarron pumpkin was the best tasting one I've ever grown. Am going to be sowing lots this year and giving the plants to people.

HOLA446

Good call - I find most squashes quite bland and watery, but butternuts are very tasty and quite versatile, I might well give them a go!

I would. Particularly if I had some space I wouldn't realistically be able to spend much time on this season. Also, they keep for a good while.

Something else I grow which isn't watery or tasteless is a green pumpkin ('jarrahdale') that's popular in NZ and v. similar inside to a butternut.

HOLA447

potimarron pumpkin was the best tasting one I've ever grown. Am going to be sowing lots this year and giving the plants to people.

hmmm, that looks intersting

I tried giving up a half-sized plot on my existing site (I'm working a full-sized plot in a better spot) and I was told I can keep using it as a freebie if I want (no waiting lists where I am, far from it).

I've been thinking about turning the half plot into a pumpkin/ squash sanctuary this year. I'm v. possibly going to give those a go, thx.

HOLA448

hmmm, that looks intersting

I tried giving up a half-sized plot on my existing site (I'm working a full-sized plot in a better spot) and I was told I can keep using it as a freebie if I want (no waiting lists where I am, far from it).

I've been thinking about turning the half plot into a pumpkin/ squash sanctuary this year. I'm v. possibly going to give those a go, thx.

It's certainly low-ish maintenance. They mulch themselves once they get going.

:)

HOLA449

Just picking huge winter cauliflowers, and masses of sprouting broccoli. The last two years were a crop failure, as the cold weather wiped them out, I'm glad I persisted. The advantage of them is that they come at a time when the caterpillars aren't around, and also a sparse time for other veg. The only other cauliflower I grow is romanesceau, and a fast-growing early broccoli; hopefully, I'll pick those before the caterpillars arrive.

HOLA4410

Just picking huge winter cauliflowers, and masses of sprouting broccoli. The last two years were a crop failure, as the cold weather wiped them out, I'm glad I persisted. The advantage of them is that they come at a time when the caterpillars aren't around, and also a sparse time for other veg. The only other cauliflower I grow is romanesceau, and a fast-growing early broccoli; hopefully, I'll pick those before the caterpillars arrive.

I only just this week became educated about the difference between broccoli (white & purple) and calabrese (what 99% of people think is called broccoli)...

Mind = blown.

EMrknJP.gif

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

I did the wet newspaper membrane thing on some weedy bits in my mum's garden. I just put a few damp sheets down and covered them with clean topsoil, then trod it all down firmly.

Two years on and it's still largely weed free. Mother thinks it's some kind of miracle. She's of the generation that thinks you have to break your back digging weeds every day...

HOLA4413

I'm planting out 2" early beetroot plants grown in a frame. Still sowing sucessional lettuce in pots in the cold frame (Sweetheart and Salad Bowl).

Allotment broad beans in good flower. Sugarsnax and Early Nantes carrot seedlings showing.

Tomato seedlings almost ready for potting on into single 3" pots. Gardener's Delight and Sweet Million for allotment open ground. Garden Pearl and Minibell for patio 10" pots. Leek seedlings in cold frame 2" high.

Waiting awhile yet to start germinating French, Climbing French and Runner Beans inside. Same with sweetcorn, Marketmore outdoor cucumber, courgette and squashes.

Sweetcorn tip:

Take a small tupperware-type box. Fold a square of kitchen paper into the bottom. Damp the paper well. Place sweetcorn seeds inside on paper. Close lid tight.

Within a few days all viable seeds will develop a strong, visible, single white root. When roots are half an inch long, the seeds can go into single three inch pots of compost, or in early May, carefully into open ground.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
  • 2 weeks later...
HOLA4416

Actually had one hell of a slug outbreak the other day when it rained for the first time in a week. Bloody hundreds of the buggers!

The world of molluscs is fascinating!

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Trying to get the ALMO to put some planters on the spare land around my block. My housing officer was quite keen on the idea and thought 'a grant' might be available. Then I can join in the allotment revolution! Dig for Victory!

HOLA4419

Trying to get the ALMO to put some planters on the spare land around my block. My housing officer was quite keen on the idea and thought 'a grant' might be available. Then I can join in the allotment revolution! Dig for Victory!

Ooooooooooo

There's always tons of bits of grants available. Ask your local councillors for help! Our district partnership (local ward councillors thing) has staff who deal with community involvement.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Archived