garybug

HOLA441
  • Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443

I think he's been proved right.

I didn't grow any this year. Have two types of onion. Had to go and pick some the other night as I needed one for tea. :) Very good to be able to nip out on plot and harvest stuff. :)

No runner beans yet though. Was very late getting them done.

HOLA444

Big discussions in my house tonight. I've been told by the old boy on the next allotment plot that he's giving it up. Gave me the nod that the powers that be would be prepared for me to swap my small plot for his plot - which is three times the size. Great growing ground; big shed on it; three compost bins; three linked water butts. Pear tree, gooseberries and other goodies.

My plot is immaculate, even though I say it myself, and I think he is very keen that his own well-tended plot falls into the hands of someone who'll keep it looking good. He lives only a hundred yards away.

My wife's keen on the swap, and does more than her share on our plot, but I'm a bit worried I'm taking on too much. I'm salivating a bit at the thought of getting my hands on that big shed, and it's clouding my thinking...

Any thoughts?

HOLA445

Big discussions in my house tonight. I've been told by the old boy on the next allotment plot that he's giving it up. Gave me the nod that the powers that be would be prepared for me to swap my small plot for his plot - which is three times the size. Great growing ground; big shed on it; three compost bins; three linked water butts. Pear tree, gooseberries and other goodies.

My plot is immaculate, even though I say it myself, and I think he is very keen that his own well-tended plot falls into the hands of someone who'll keep it looking good. He lives only a hundred yards away.

My wife's keen on the swap, and does more than her share on our plot, but I'm a bit worried I'm taking on too much. I'm salivating a bit at the thought of getting my hands on that big shed, and it's clouding my thinking...

Any thoughts?

My experience on my current site is that most of the full-size, 10 pole (and larger) plots aren't full utilised. People either don't have enough time, or are too old to work them. A minority of folk are in the sweet spot time and energy wise.

I'm currently working 1 & 1/2 plots, which is a 1/2 too much afaic.

Personally, I'd feel cramped by a 1/2 size plot (though I wouldn't say no if all there was). Amongst other things a full-size plot gives me a little more scope for having something to pick year-round. However, it is a major commitment keeping on top of it, particularly at this time of year when there are one or two other things a chap could be doing.

I'd say, why not? You can always whack down a few space-hungry pumpkins and squashes if you don't have the time or inclination to work the whole plot intensively (plus they keep for months).

HOLA446

Any thoughts?

Go for it!

HOLA447

Any thoughts?

Sounds like it could be a good move.....could you not do some crop rotation and have a wild flower area for partner plants and to attract the right pollination insects.....you could always go smaller later if becomes all too much.

HOLA448
HOLA449

I grow everything in my garden plot in pots/troughs/large feed tubs, will give towers a go next year. In the process of setting up the watering. No dig and great flexibility.The large shed will give you plenty of scope for solar panel / battery and pumps to automate watering . You could split the plot into open ground and weed protected / container based and make the plot as maintentnace free as suits you.

Archived