The Allotment Thread

garybug

HOLA441
  • Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443

Any one got a good easy rhubarb wine recipe?

Last year I used this recipe pulled off the net. It went well impo

I'm not sure that it passes the 'easy' criterion though. Not particularly difficult though either.

As I recall, a fair few rhubarb wine recipes mentioned bunging in grape concentrate. This particular recipe doesn't and I don't think the final product is particularly lacking because of it.

The fruits are looking highly abundant but I am worried about fungus due to the wet/warm conditions.

Cotton undergarments, changed frequently

Works for me

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

Saw strawberries were looking about ready yesterday evening and thought, "I'll have those at the weekend". Look again this evening and see they've been gobbled by ******* creatures unknown. Wife and children are denying it.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Earwigs and slugs etc have all benefited from the mild winter.

Bastar.

Should have bought slug nemotodes.

I did plan on having a slug murdering evening but somene invited me round for cider.

Buggerit.

You are lucky if you have earwigs, as they are good little predators! some people don't think much of them though, because they are not brightly coloured and fluffy!

HOLA4412

Earwigs and slugs etc have all benefited from the mild winter.

Bastar.

Should have bought slug nemotodes.

I did plan on having a slug murdering evening but somene invited me round for cider.

Buggerit.

I have found the slugs prefer beer....they fall in pissed and you can collect them all up in the morning (the birds love them like that). ;)

HOLA4413

I have found the slugs prefer beer....they fall in pissed and you can collect them all up in the morning (the birds love them like that). ;)

They also like curry! I left a half finished curry on the stove one night, and slugs came in and got in it and died! :ph34r:

HOLA4414

Anyone else find that home-grown beetroot cooks a lot more quickly than shop/supermarket bought stuff?

Yes. Probably because it's fresh and not been stored or tampered with in any way.

I love home grown beetroot grated in salad or roasted. Like anything homegrown the taste is superior to bought veg/fruit apart from roadside stalls or farmers market stalls

HOLA4415

Saw strawberries were looking about ready yesterday evening and thought, "I'll have those at the weekend". Look again this evening and see they've been gobbled by ******* creatures unknown. Wife and children are denying it.

I have more strawberries than I know what to do with. Including last years leftovers, there's about 12 kilos in the deepfreeze plus another 4 litres of pureed/sorbet frozen.

Out to pick more tonight.

So many strawberries.

So many f*****g strawberries!

Might make some strawberry beer....

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Loganberries is my `problem`.

They grow like weeds, slugs and birds don`t seem to touch them.

Easy to propagate, should have a load more next year so I`ll be able to make beer!

...and all from one plant from Aldi.

Ditto blackcurrants and blackberries.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

so far mine are ok. Tayberries starting to ripen.Something has nibbled a raspberry though.

It might be earwigs!

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

Slugs do get a bad press, when normally it is earwigs that cause most of the problems.

The tunnels you see through vegetables, that's earwigs.

Slugs should be honoured with a shallow saucer of beer (not too deep) in the evening.

That's rubbish! Earwigs will not eat your vegetables, but slugs do like to get drunk!

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

The earwigs have been saying that for years.

Nobody likes earwigs, except me! They dont have a larval maggot stage like beetles, and bees! They hatch out as small earwigs! :mellow:

Archived