garybug

HOLA441
  • Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

Saw first broad bean pods yesterday, very small still.

Strawberries still green.

tomatoes flowering but need to be planted outside!

Get 'em out! I've got fifteen out on the allotment (SW coast) and if left potted, the growth slows and they get pot bound. I can't see any damage from the cold now June is just days away.

You sound as if you are in the North.....

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

Get 'em out! I've got fifteen out on the allotment (SW coast) and if left potted, the growth slows and they get pot bound. I can't see any damage from the cold now June is just days away.

You sound as if you are in the North.....

Just not had time this week!

Aye, Oldham is oop north.

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA448

Has anyone thought of doing a DIY fish farm. There's some interesting vids on Youtube....also mixed in with growing veg/salads and aquaponics.

No, but I am now! Are there big buck to be made, or is it just for providing tasty fresh fish for supper?

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

it is a red herring

That's put him in his plaice...

I recall years back reading of a Chinese practice of rearing edible fish on ponds which also supported an edible weed on their surface. Every few years the ponds were drained, and the bottom mud was collected and sold as a premium fertiliser. Thern a new crop of fish, and so on. Three crops from one pond.

If you can find it, Farmers For Forty Centuries: F.H. King (Cape 1926) is a fascinating read about 4000 years of Chinese horticulture. Some areas in rural China have been under cultivation without a break for four millennia.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

I saw signs of blight on my and other folks' plots this evening.

Now would be a good time to get the Bordeaux mixture out, if it hasn't been applied already.

Last year was an outstanding year to have a lottie. What with the mild winter and spring we've just had I think this year is going to be, um, tricky.

HOLA4420

Due to the mild winter all my Senshyu overwintered Japanese onions have bolted. Upside of mildness is a very heavy crop from overwintered Aquadulce broad beans. Should have beetroot in a week or so. Robins are nesting in my garden, which is nice to see..

HOLA4421

Due to the mild winter all my Senshyu overwintered Japanese onions have bolted. Upside of mildness is a very heavy crop from overwintered Aquadulce broad beans. Should have beetroot in a week or so. Robins are nesting in my garden, which is nice to see..

Likewise. All overwintered onions bolted. Broad beans (aquadulce) excellent. Turnip 'bulbs' good, turnip greens muntered by snails. Spring planted onions, gnarled and nasty, nematodes?

HOLA4422

Likewise. All overwintered onions bolted. Broad beans (aquadulce) excellent. Turnip 'bulbs' good, turnip greens muntered by snails. Spring planted onions, gnarled and nasty, nematodes?

This year I've planted spinach for the first time, first crop is ready (and tasty!) but I noticed that it's bolting already. Not sure if it's because of the mild weather, or is spinach prone to bolting?

I'm in the beautiful south BTW.

HOLA4423

This year I've planted spinach for the first time, first crop is ready (and tasty!) but I noticed that it's bolting already. Not sure if it's because of the mild weather, or is spinach prone to bolting?

I'm in the beautiful south BTW.

In my experience, spinach tends to bolt if you look at it. I grow perpetual spinach aka spinach beet aka chard aka silverbeet instead. Once established you can take leaves from it for months, and through winter.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, fat hen grows unattended all over the shop, is also comparable with spinach and worth knowing.

HOLA4424

...fwiw I cooked up some chard along with some bolted kai-lan that Ken (he's Chinese I don't think that's his real name) on the lottie gave me last week and rather tasting a bit like spinach it tasted exactly like spinach

edit: ...and much less unusual in the taste department than those chrysanthemum leaves he palmed off on me last year, swearing blind that they were edible

HOLA4425

In my experience, spinach tends to bolt if you look at it. I grow perpetual spinach aka spinach beet aka chard aka silverbeet instead. Once established you can take leaves from it for months, and through winter.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, fat hen grows unattended all over the shop, is also comparable with spinach and worth knowing.

:lol: noted!

Archived