House Price Crash Forum

Gold strategy in the current economy

HOLA441

Gold broke below its March 31st low today - made a lower low. The dollar is about to start a rally of 4 to 8 weeks during which we will see gold make new lows.

The question now is what happens the rest of this week with gold - whether by Friday it has broken below 1240 or whether it manages to stay above 1260. If it stays above 1260 you have a slim chance of the yearly summer low not breaking below 1180 but if it crashes through 1240 this week then we should see 1180 broken during early summer and much bigger lows to come.

The Fed wants stocks up for next week's taper meeting. Fed wants higher highs in the Dow and Nasdaq and lowers lows in gold so that the taper can continue.

HOLA442
HOLA443

I have capitulated and am utterly demoralized. I fear the masked pervert is correct.

Yet it can still be merely a retest of 1250/75 as I said a few days ago. Until it breaks that and sticks nothing has changed.

Normally inappropriate to prejudge a market.

HOLA444
HOLA445

I have capitulated and am utterly demoralized. I fear the masked pervert is correct.

Surely the whole thing is an economic and Geo political play. It's hardly surprising things have gone badly in the last couple of weeks...most of the advanced economies are in the grip of price deflation with the commodities super cycle still going in the wrong direction and Ukraine is looking a bit more innocuous than it did a fortnight ago.

A Molotov cocktail or two in the Ukrainian east and a panic over oil security and you can be sure that gold will recover.

HOLA446

I'm not being contrarian but having thought gold was a mugs' game for a long time I'm about to start buying on the basis it's a reasonable long term bet for some of my cash. I've held a lot of my investments for 20+ years so I'm not after a fast buck.

HOLA447

I'm not being contrarian but having thought gold was a mugs' game for a long time I'm about to start buying on the basis it's a reasonable long term bet for some of my cash. I've held a lot of my investments for 20+ years so I'm not after a fast buck.

If you don't have any already, it's sensible to put 5-10% of assets into precious metals anyway, regardless of the investment environment.

HOLA448

If you don't have any already, it's sensible to put 5-10% of assets into precious metals anyway, regardless of the investment environment.

Agreed for a 5% holding but "buy low" applies to gold as much as any other investment. I wasn't going to touch it above $1500.

HOLA449

After silver hit below 19 that was likely the last flush out before massive rally, s an g and miners on for an excellent buy reversal.

Not confirmed yet but the shape in the chart y'day looks proven. Will know probably by end of day and likely by end of tomorrow.

Reward to risk at this point : high

HOLA4410

And gdxj up c 5% since last post <2 US trading days ago.

G above 1300.

Looking positive.

If last week was the retest, rally should be explosive.

If equities at risk here - as they clearly are - g could well be store of wealth this year.

Edited by Killer Bunny

HOLA4411

We can make all sort of calls on the gold price based on perceived supply and demand, but in reality the whole thing has been tracking the sentiment over Ukriane these past few weeks. Apparently the West's new sanctions against Russia, considered to be not too hot (to provoke) or too cold ( to be ineffective) is the reason gold has again dipped in the last 24 hours as Markets bet on a localised conflict. Could all change though..........

HOLA4412

We can make all sort of calls on the gold price based on perceived supply and demand, but in reality the whole thing has been tracking the sentiment over Ukriane these past few weeks. Apparently the West's new sanctions against Russia, considered to be not too hot (to provoke) or too cold ( to be ineffective) is the reason gold has again dipped in the last 24 hours as Markets bet on a localised conflict. Could all change though..........

Seems to me it's been more about whether or not S&P was rising. ie doing the opposite. Whatever...

I've come to the view the Why is less important than the What is happening to price.

G&S are holding support.

HOLA4413

Surely the whole thing is an economic and Geo political play. It's hardly surprising things have gone badly in the last couple of weeks...most of the advanced economies are in the grip of price deflation with the commodities super cycle still going in the wrong direction and Ukraine is looking a bit more innocuous than it did a fortnight ago.

A Molotov cocktail or two in the Ukrainian east and a panic over oil security and you can be sure that gold will recover.

Yep, gold, silver and oil are all being driven by the Ukraine now.

When it looks like peace in our time the commodities immediately resume their downtrend. The moment the slightest hint of Russia upping the stakes and the precious metals soar... so, at the moment, the price of PMs is driven by Putin and what he decides to do.

I think the problem for gold/silver comes the moment the crisis in the Ukraine is over - when that happens I think we will be waterfalling to the lows I mentioned several times over recent weeks.

Of course, it is all a coin toss at the moment - it could be war any minute now and then gold will simply go into orbit.

Flightradar is interesting in recent weeks - the Russians are sending all sorts of heavy non-military aircraft towards the West. Probing. Playing games. Throw in all the military stuff that is flying around and it is partying on like it is 1989 again.

HOLA4414

The Ukraine aside - see previous post - the lows in gold and silver are probably due around mid to late June. Might be the end of May but most likey mid Summer.

As mentioned earlier, the Ukraine is the unknown.

Last Friday afternoon gold was trending down nicely and, wham, the news broke of a helicopter being blown up and renewed fighting and, within minutes, the DOW and NASQUACK had turned and headed south and gold/silver shot up.

Now, again today, reports out of NATO that Russian build-up is still continuing and more fighting is happened... and gold/silver just turned around and spiked.

Putin is playing an interesting game of bluff I think - he has spend a few days at his 'spiritual home' contemplating apparently. If he plays the wrong move here it could be his head on the block 6 months down the line. I think he will take the West to the edge though.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
  • DEUTSCHE BANK SAID TO BE UNABLE TO FIND BUYER FOR GOLD SEAT
  • DEUTSCHE BANK RESIGNS SEAT ON GOLD, SILVER FIX, GIVES TWO WEEKS NOTICE - SOURCE

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-04-29/gold-fix-manipulation-crackdown-deutsche-officially-resigns-london-fix-seat

-- Can I buy it? I've always wanted a gold seat.

It probably comes with a gold chain as well?

HOLA4417

Barclays' New U.S Chief Joe Gold Has The Best Banker Name Ever

Barclays has appointed Joe Gold to take over as head of the bank's American operations as part of a major shake-up.
Gold will move up from being global head of client capital management to take over from Hugh (Skip) McGee III as CEO of Barclays Americas from May 1, and will focus on getting the bank up to speed with new regulations.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/04/29/barclays-america-joe-gold-skip-mcgee_n_5232610.html

:)

Edited by Errol

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

I'm pretty sure the gold market could care less about Ukraine.

It seems to be, at the moment, whether or not S&P going to rise. PMs will do the opposite.

BTW - S&P looks bad for 2014.

Anyway the why is immaterial.

HOLA4420

http://www.investing.com/news/commodities-news/gold-shoots-up-on-ukraine-jitters,-looks-past-robust-u.s.-jobs-data-281634

Proably the worst day of the Ukranian crisis yesterday...and guess what....not rocket science is it.

Nice bounce off demand (blue area) thats all following Fridays NFP :P

h%24xauusdh4.png

Edited by aSecureTenant

HOLA4421

Very low volatility = very obviously ZERO impact on the gold price from the war in Eastern Europe.

Clear pattern of lower highs, lower lows continuing from Sept '11.

nothing to see here......buy dollars.

HOLA4422

Very low volatility = very obviously ZERO impact on the gold price from the war in Eastern Europe.

Clear pattern of lower highs, lower lows continuing from Sept '11.

nothing to see here......buy dollars.

What people don't seem to realise is that 'the pro's' sell into buying pressure and buy into selling pressure, the 'pressure' being induced artificially if need be.

A 'Gold Rockets' headline is more likely to get me shorting.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

lol?

And The First Thing Ukraine Will Buy With IMF Money Is...

Kiev will use the first portion of the International Monetary Fund (IMF) loan for augmenting its gold and currency reserves

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-05-06/and-first-thing-ukraine-will-buy-imf-money

That is surprising, since it is one of the stated aims of the IMF to reduce the monetary role of gold.

I had to go to my hardcopy Encyclopaedia Britannica to dig this out..

It's notably suspicious that you won't find this info *anywhere* on the web:

Britannica, 15th ed.:

IMF entry, para. 2:

"Members [of the IMF] are pledged to orderly currency exchange arrangements, a reduction in the role of gold in internatonal monetary transactions, and expansion of the Fund's capability to carry out its original goals."

Edited by weaker