House Price Crash Forum

Alien Encounters Within Two Decades

@contradevian

HOLA441

http://www.guardian....sian-astronomer

Russian scientists expect humanity to encounter alien civilisations within the next two decades, a top Russian astronomer said on Monday.

"The genesis of life is as inevitable as the formation of atoms ... Life exists on other planets and we will find it within 20 years," said Andrei Finkelstein, director of the Russian Academy of Sciences' Applied Astronomy Institute, according to the Interfax news agency.

Speaking at an international forum dedicated to the search for extraterrestrial life, Finkelstein said 10% of the known planets circling suns in the galaxy resemble Earth.

If water can be found there, then so can life, he said, adding that aliens would most likely resemble humans with two arms, two legs and a head.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

was there no mention of the value of his house, or the likely value of houses on other planets?

We would welcome a bail out from them, whoever they are.

I would think within my lifetime, some kind of alien entity will be found and confirmed, though it might only be the remains of bugs and microbes. Indeed NASA might already have found this on meteorites.

HOLA445

Last time I looked none of the known ones resembled Earth (although detection methods find it much easier to find non-Earthlike planets). The rest is pure speculation.

10% of stars having earthlike planets seems quite high - although even 1% is a lot.

Microscopic life probably forms quite quickly (<10,000 years); the main arguments being that it appears as soon as we can see it in the geological record (i.e we do not have any record of a sterile planet), and none of the intermediate stages between simple organics and life appear very stable. You can't just get half way and hang around for 100,000 years.

But.. it took perhaps 3 billion years for bacteria to turn into jellyfish. That's a long, long time for a planetary environment to remain stable and habitable. It also took 400 million years to turn frogs into people - i.e. land living creatures into clever land living creatures. Both of those steps appear far harder than the first one.

HOLA446

I would think within my lifetime, some kind of alien entity will be found and confirmed, though it might only be the remains of bugs and microbes. Indeed NASA might already have found this on meteorites.

It would be very human indeed to suck other species into our ponzi schemes.

HOLA447
If water can be found there, then so can life, he said, adding that aliens would most likely resemble humans with two arms, two legs and a head.

Prior to the Cambrian explosion (Al Queda?), all manner of body plans existed.

HOLA448
HOLA449

10% of stars having earthlike planets seems quite high - although even 1% is a lot.

Microscopic life probably forms quite quickly (<10,000 years); the main arguments being that it appears as soon as we can see it in the geological record (i.e we do not have any record of a sterile planet), and none of the intermediate stages between simple organics and life appear very stable. You can't just get half way and hang around for 100,000 years.

But.. it took perhaps 3 billion years for bacteria to turn into jellyfish. That's a long, long time for a planetary environment to remain stable and habitable. It also took 400 million years to turn frogs into people - i.e. land living creatures into clever land living creatures. Both of those steps appear far harder than the first one.

True, but it is just as likely that great civilisations rose and died before even our own Sun formed.

A friend of mine who does astral journeys was only telling me the other night that millions of other planets had life and that people pretty much looked like us.

There you go - sorted.

HOLA4410

True, but it is just as likely that great civilisations rose and died before even our own Sun formed.

A friend of mine who does astral journeys was only telling me the other night that millions of other planets had life and that people pretty much looked like us.

There you go - sorted.

Is that like Thomas Cook - but a bit classier ?

HOLA4411

TMT - you've been wandering into EAs offices again haven't you - you know you shouldn't believe all their spin, a wall of alien money isn't about to push house prices up on the Gower, no matter how renowned the local rarebit is in the surrounding valleys

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

TMT - you've been wandering into EAs offices again haven't you - you know you shouldn't believe all their spin, a wall of alien money isn't about to push house prices up on the Gower, no matter how renowned the local rarebit is in the surrounding valleys

Yep, little green martians are about to drive up Gower prices. They are already out of this world.

HOLA4414

Russian scientists expect humanity to encounter alien civilisations within the next two decades, a top Russian astronomer said on Monday.

"The genesis of life is as inevitable as the formation of atoms ... Life exists on other planets and we will find it within 20 years," said Andrei Finkelstein, director of the Russian Academy of Sciences' Applied Astronomy Institute, according to the Interfax news agency.

Speaking at an international forum dedicated to the search for extraterrestrial life, Finkelstein said 10% of the known planets circling suns in the galaxy resemble Earth.

"Finkelstein went on to say the Institute is campaigning hard this year for increased Govt funding & above inflation pay rises in view of their important work....." ;)

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

No doubt the Giant squid would be able to help with any special off balance sheet requirements and if they needed the savior of the universe we could give them Gordon.

HOLA4420

Prior to the Cambrian explosion (Al Queda?), all manner of body plans existed.

My favourite mid Cambrain body shape is Hallucigenia....

Hallucigenia_Artist%27s_Rendering.jpg

If we find aliens (or they find us) I'd lay odds that they will look nothing like us. Lizards yes, us no.

HOLA4421

"They may have different colour skin, but even we have that," he said.

I think he has been watching too many sci fi films if he thinks that human development is a stable plateu at the peak of the evolutionary journey.

Humanity is just another step, and as biological evolution is very slow, technological evolution is very fast in comparison, and also more durable. Therefore, I would expect to see aliens that are not biological at all - especially given the difficulties of space travel for biological beings.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

Yeah right, bring it on!! Cmon!! as they say at the tennis. :lol: Who gives a ...

At any rate the Russians are getting on for 500 years behind the times. Nostradamus predicted all that stuff ages ago.

Will they help us with our pensions crisis?

(Or make it worse by giving us cures for diseases so we live decades/centuries longer ala 'V').

HOLA4424

I think he has been watching too many sci fi films if he thinks that human development is a stable plateu at the peak of the evolutionary journey.

Humanity is just another step, and as biological evolution is very slow, technological evolution is very fast in comparison, and also more durable. Therefore, I would expect to see aliens that are not biological at all - especially given the difficulties of space travel for biological beings.

I think you raise a good point. Apart from the expense, and being relatively delicate, humans are just not well adapted for space travel and I think our "computers" will. The danger is being poured out of the spacecraft after being in space any length of time. You would really need to "grow" a new human to cope with the extended space travel, and then grow another to cope with a new environment was encountered at the other end. Suspect it will be automated spaceships with sample DNA taken. Or perhaps our brains go, not sure which. Of course could be completely wrong with huge generational ships being built with gravity and a complete planetary environment to sustain human life, however can't see us ever raising the money to build something like that. As for whether aliens would resemble us, well our body plan has been particularly successful, though I doubt other planets would have had the exact amount of sun, radiation and gravity and so on.

HOLA4425

Archived