House Price Crash Forum

Google Driverless Cars ----- Merged

R K

HOLA441

http://www.whatcar.c...ess-cars/257530

Google is developing technology for driverless cars and is pushing lawmakers to make the cars legal on public roads so it can test the technology.

The search engine giant has already racked up more than 140,000 miles in a fleet of automated Toyota Prius and Audi TT cars in the US using its latest location technology.

These mules included a successful drive down Lombard Street in San Francisco – one of America's steepest and curviest roads. The search engine giant is now lobbying for the cars to be legalised in Nevada.

Nevada State Legislature will vote this month to decide the future of a bill to legalise the use of self-driving cars in its state. Google is also promoting an additional bill that would allow 'drivers' to text while behind the wheel.

Google lobbyist David Goldwater says that self-driving cars are safer and more fuel-efficient, while promoting economic development.

Modifications to the cars include the addition of a rotating sensor on the roof that generates a 3D map of the surrounding area, a position estimator that accurately locates the car on a digital map, three radar sensors and a video camera.

Google claims that the use of robotic cars will result in quieter and safer roads. During testing, the fleet has been involved in only one accident: a Prius was rear-ended at a traffic light.

The company says 'it's not if this technology will be available, it's when, and when is very soon.'

What's the point? Apart from Google selling the technology to car manufacturers.

• Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443

I can imagine huge taxi fleets in the future operated by one owner/operator from a netbook, or iPad thingy.

Also I doubt the cost of converting a vehicle would be much in comparison with a taxi drivers earners for a year and no doubt could be leased.

Would the savings in terms of the taxi drivers earning's less the cost of the equipment be passed on? Remains to be seen, but I'm not optimistic!

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

I can imagine huge taxi fleets in the future operated by one owner/operator from a netbook, or iPad thingy.

Also I doubt the cost of converting a vehicle would be much in comparison with a taxi drivers earners for a year and no doubt could be leased.

Would the savings in terms of the taxi drivers earning's less the cost of the equipment be passed on? Remains to be seen, but I'm not optimistic!

But less need for taxis, your own car can drive you home from the pub or drop you to the airport or station.:rolleyes:

HOLA4411

But less need for taxis, your own car can drive you home from the pub or drop you to the airport or station.:rolleyes:

It could then drive itself home avoiding expensive airport parking charges.

Perhaps this heralds the end of car parks.

I'm warming to the idea............

HOLA4412

If it genuinely is safe, efficient and cheap, this has the potential end an entire profession: no more taxi, bus or HGV drivers.

Luddite! all those taxi drivers can get careers in future industries , BTL should be in another boom in 5 years or so they can all become BTL pwoperdee developers!

HOLA4413

http://www.whatcar.c...ess-cars/257530

What's the point? Apart from Google selling the technology to car manufacturers.

For a start the technology will reduce oil demand by cars by at least 10m barrels per day perhaps upto 40m barrels a day.

It will likely mean the end of the personal car as self drive taxis will be cheaper than owning your own car but with all the convinces.

It will greatly reduce journey times. Imagine mo traffic on city roads.

It is a huge change if they can get it to work.

You would also see the death if short and perhaps even medium gall flights

HOLA4414

At first the savings would not be passes on but with competition they would be.

The important bit in this technology is

Greatly reduced fuel consumption

Potentially much Safer

Much faster

Potentially much much cheaper (currently you use your car 1h a day and it sits there unused the other 23h).

A self drive vehicle could take passengers during computing times and deliver mail and goods at other times)

HOLA4415

At first the savings would not be passes on but with competition they would be.

The important bit in this technology is

Greatly reduced fuel consumption

Potentially much Safer

Much faster

Potentially much much cheaper (currently you use your car 1h a day and it sits there unused the other 23h).

A self drive vehicle could take passengers during computing times and deliver mail and goods at other times)

You can imagine a scenario where villages have a communal car, that picks them up, then the next person, till full on demand and drops them off at Tesco, comes back to collect. Win Win all round. No longer needing heavily subsidised rural bus networks.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
Guest eight

RE : Driverless taxi cabs

How do they refill the fuel tank?

I'm just amazed that nobody has mentioned

johnny-cab.jpg

eight

HOLA4419

What happens to car insurance in such a world?

It then becomes not the driver being insured but the software.

Premiums should become cheaper as you no longer have an impatient idiot at the wheel.

HOLA4420
Guest eight

Premiums should become cheaper as you no longer have an impatient idiot at the wheel.

I wonder if they'd have enough confidence in the cars to remove the airbags, crumple zones etc. and just basically have a bubble big enough to sit in and keep the rain off?

eight

HOLA4421

I wonder if they'd have enough confidence in the cars to remove the airbags, crumple zones etc. and just basically have a bubble big enough to sit in and keep the rain off?

eight

I had a thought some time ago that speed limits would come down, to make driverless technology more viable, especially in the early stages.

But yes of course if vehicles were limited to 40 mph then crash protection could be reduced.

Even the LEV, the Lightweight Electric Vehicle would become viable.

• 1 year later...
HOLA4422

Here's an article to kick off discussion:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/comment/10028288/HS2-is-already-obsolete-David-Cameron-should-be-preparing-the-UK-for-self-driving-cars.html

I think they'll improve life FAR more than Google Glass, so why no thread on them?

Given the economic benefits I'm launching this thread in the 'main' section but no matter if it ends up in the OT.

HOLA4423

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/comment/10028288/HS2-is-already-obsolete-David-Cameron-should-be-preparing-the-UK-for-self-driving-cars.html

I think they'll improve life FAR more than Google Glass, so why no thread on them?

Given the economic benefits I'm launching this thread in the 'main' section but no matter if it ends up in the OT.

If it facilitates commuting it does relate to house prices.

Edit: Yep, house prices in and around London will be much affected by this:

Self-driving vehicles will have the ability to “platoon”, acting almost like train carriages on motorways, increasing lane capacity by up to 500pc, according to research from the US Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers.

(...)

Driverless cars will once again boost the value of suburbs and country living, and their house prices: far more people will be willing to commute much longer distances to work or school. This will encourage cities to become even more sprawling, putting massive pressure on existing planning rules. The premium on living centrally will be reduced, albeit not eliminated because of congestion, which means there will still be a need for some urban rail services.

Commuting will be less tiring and also much faster.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

http://www.telegraph...iving-cars.html