House Price Crash Forum

Snp Takes Scotland And What Is The First Thing Salmond Wants To Do?

interestrateripoff

HOLA441

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2011/may/06/scottish-elections-salmond-historic-victory-snp

Jubilant at the "historic" scale of the SNP's victories, Salmond said he would first demand much greater economic freedom for the Scottish parliament, including the right to set its own corporation tax and increase borrowing powers to £5bn. Then he would hold his referendum.

"Just as the Scottish people have restored trust in us, we must trust the people as well," he declared. "Which is why, in this term of the parliament, we will bring forward a referendum and trust the people on Scotland's own constitutional future."

He's a true politician the people have entrusted him to increase the national debt of Scotland.... No sooner than the votes have been counted he's talking about spending money he hasn't got.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

http://www.guardian....ric-victory-snp

He's a true politician the people have entrusted him to increase the national debt of Scotland.... No sooner than the votes have been counted he's talking about spending money he hasn't got.

Have it so easy just now. Here is your budget - spend it wisely - and you you will get another one in a year. Simple as that.

When things get complicated things get messy.

How would this work with UK debt though ?

HOLA443

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2011/may/06/scottish-elections-salmond-historic-victory-snp

Independence for England!

I would have preferred to get it via a vote for the English Independence party, but I am not even sure there is one. But a separate England will save us a fortune.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

It would be a Nirvana of endless Tory government, cricket and warm beer.

I think that the "Conservative and Unionist Pary" to give it it's full title, would need a rethink about their name.

As would UKIP.

But you are right, the endless warm beer and cricket, just heavenly.

HOLA447

It's easy for Salmond, he thinks that any budget shortfall can simply be claimed from central government. (I heard him say something along these lines in a tv interview a few weeks ago).

The sooner Scotland gets complete independence the better, then let's see how they get on.

Edited by tonytramcar

HOLA448
HOLA449

I'm wondering this, as it's the Royal Bank of Scotland surely the SNP should take on all the liabilities? Plus what percentage of the UK debt would Scotland take on?

He is talking outwith Independence here. Just for the near future. Scotland having debt raising powers of it's own - but still being within the UK and with all that debt raising associated. Selling 'Jock' bonds and all I think. How that could happen within the UK I do not know.

It's easy for Salmond, he thinks that any budget shortfall can simply be claimed from central government. (I heard him say something along these lines in a tv interview a few weeks ago).

The sooner Scotland gets complete independence the better, then let's see how they get on.

As long as the West coast is still included - I would be taking a sharpish exit.

HOLA4410

He is talking outwith Independence here. Just for the near future. Scotland having debt raising powers of it's own - but still being within the UK and with all that debt raising associated. Selling 'Jock' bonds and all I think. How that could happen within the UK I do not know.

Seems like the way that US states can issue bonds. And, of course, go bankrupt..

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

A few things I don't understand about proposed Scottish independence. Please enlighten me:

(1) What currency would an independent Scotland use? The pound? Then the Scottish central bank would have no influence over its strength in terms of interest rate policy, which would be determined by the Bank of England with no Scottish input?

(2) If independence happens, the UK ceases to exist and two new states come into existence. Don't both the new states now find themselves outside the EU by default, so have to apply to join? And if so, they can't do so without agreeing to join the Euro.

HOLA4417

I'm wondering this, as it's the Royal Bank of Scotland surely the SNP should take on all the liabilities? Plus what percentage of the UK debt would Scotland take on?

If it is by population percentage then about 9% if by barnet fomula then 10.27%.

HOLA4418

A few things I don't understand about proposed Scottish independence. Please enlighten me:

(1) What currency would an independent Scotland use? The pound? Then the Scottish central bank would have no influence over its strength in terms of interest rate policy, which would be determined by the Bank of England with no Scottish input?

(2) If independence happens, the UK ceases to exist and two new states come into existence. Don't both the new states now find themselves outside the EU by default, so have to apply to join? And if so, they can't do so without agreeing to join the Euro.

If (2) is true, that is a dream come true. We leave the EU by default, cos there is no way England is going to take the Euro. The odd Scottish bank note was bad enough.

HOLA4419

The proposal was pound at first and then to put a referendum to the Scottish people on joining the euro.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Seems like the way that US states can issue bonds. And, of course, go bankrupt..

Ah - Excellent plan. Another arc of prosperity for bawzak Eck to cling to.

Why would anyone want to buy a bond backed with the full faith and credit of Alex Salmond?

Can't argue with that.

HOLA4422

He knows that even little countries can become the wealthiest in the world if they play their cards right:

2006-08-11

SNP Leader Alex Salmond has today called for Scotland to join northern Europe's arc of prosperity, with Ireland to the west, Iceland to the north and Norway to the east all small independent countries in the top six richest nations in the world.

http://www.snp.org/node/10359

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Could we grant them independence and then go and invade them to get it back again. Would make them truly miserable to be our slaves again. They'd love it. Like Braveheart but with a better ending.

misery loves company

HOLA4425

He knows that even little countries can become the wealthiest in the world if they play their cards right:

SNP Leader Alex Salmond has today called for Scotland to join northern Europe's arc of prosperity, with Ireland to the west, Iceland to the north and Norway to the east all small independent countries in the top six richest nations in the world.

Alex isn't the only one who knows:

Look and learn from across the Irish Sea

A generation ago it would have seemed ridiculous to go to Ireland for economics lessons. Not any more

George Osborne

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/columnists/guest_contributors/article733821.ece