House Price Crash Forum

37% Of Jobs In Plymouth Are Public Sector

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443

Suprised it is as low as that really, I suspect if you included all the outsourced workers who collect the recycling boxes and clean the offices etc it would be much higher.

What we as a country have to do is decide what it makes sense to provide through the public purse and what not to.

Simply making jobs that need doing "private sector" and paying them out of taxation doesn't alter the fact they are paid for out of taxation.

The other "problem" is that increased efficiency makes workers redundant. If I look back to my grandparents one was a grocer in a team of about 10 people serving a few streets worth of customers, nowadays that many people would serve about 20,000 people in a Tesco! One was a machine operator in a factory with a through-put of about 5000 envelopes a day, nowadays one operator could make about 500,000 a day etc etc. Another was a farmer who employed hundreds of people to pick and plant crops, now a machine can do it all.

Clealry this is a good thing, people have everything they need without so much labour being required and the price is lower.

Unfortunately capitalism means that the increased productivity rewards solely the holder of the capital, and increasingly the holders of the capital find ways to avoid paying the tax which would pay for the public services so we have a tax gap.

That doesn't mean we don't have some services provided which we don't need but it does mean that blaming the public sector workers for existing (not saying you are) is a bit short sighted.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

Unfortunately capitalism means that the increased productivity rewards solely the holder of the capital, and increasingly the holders of the capital find ways to avoid paying the tax which would pay for the public services so we have a tax gap.

+1

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

That doesn't mean we don't have some services provided which we don't need but it does mean that blaming the public sector workers for existing (not saying you are) is a bit short sighted.

They can retrain for other positions in the private sector.

Like thatchers , ladder makers , horse drawn carraige makers and other obsolete professions did.

HOLA4418

Like thatchers , ladder makers , horse drawn carraige makers and other obsolete professions did.

Or we could just share some of the wealth around a bit more.

There is plenty for everyone.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

I knew we couldn't have a public sector thread without someone mentioning Thatcher.

HOLA4422

Having said that this

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-23977034.html

is what you should be getting for £750k

Awesome house but it has been on the market forever so there must be something wrong with it.

Something odd there, surely?

Or maybe if you've got 750k to spend you don't live in Stoke, whatever the house is like.

HOLA4423

What a dump of a town Plymouth is

I strongly disagree.

it has a beautiful natural harbour ( plymouth sound )

It backs onto a 340 sq mile national park.

Quality of life and leisure opportunities in and around the city are good / excellent.

The City Centre is ok and there are some beautiful suburbs.

The child support agency is based there and the Land registry, though both have got the axe hanging over them.

The hospital is large and has an affilliated medical school, these would account for a lot of public sector work as would the large forces presence.

Im surprised there is not a larger public sector payroll.

HOLA4424

750k to live just of union street, that is the best laugh I have had in ages.

There are some really overpriced properties in the Royal William Yard Development, they however have a humongous Stone wall them which has a gate which is closed to keep the scum out.

HOLA4425

750k to live just of union street, that is the best laugh I have had in ages.

There are some really overpriced properties in the Royal William Yard Development, they however have a humongous Stone wall them which has a gate which is closed to keep the scum out.

No thats just the guide price. i would expect it to fetch more.

It does state in the details that it has ' a very secure entrance' B)

Edited by bricor mortis